R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-19-2003, 07:49 PM   #1066
Tech Regular

Default Tight Tracks

All I can say is that after a couple of years running on a very tight track, My setup is basically "exactly" what IntialD was saying.

I put close to 2.5 to 3 Deg of rear toe which in someways allows the car to turn in quicker in both directions do to the amount of corners involved on the track.

Secondly, I also place the caster as stated by "D" for what appears to be a quicker response.

Third, I'm sure someone here has posted or seen the trick with removing approimately 3mm off the front end for a shorter wheelbase.

Lastly, I also do not run sway bars front or rear and the car handles like a gem , letting the shocks do all the work.

Right or wrong in theory it works very well at our track.

When we go to the bigger tracks in California, and Vegas it's a whole different story and the Car is completely different.

Just my two cents, and yes thats probably all it's worth LOL !!!
JABRONI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 07:50 PM   #1067
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Basic question for v.small tracks.

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
I find that if you set the front AND rear trackwidth to close or less than 200 mm, you'll get a lot of turn in. Mine is set 199 mm front and 198 mm rear. The 705 will have a wide rear trackwidth (over 200 mm) when you use a camber more than -2 if I'm not mistaken. I believe most of the time, we need more camber in the rear like -3 or -4. I solved this by cutting the rear upper arms like I have shown earlier in the thread to get the rear trackwidth to below 200 mm and still use -4 for camber.
u can oso try using smaller rear wheeladapters
http://www.mytsn.com/products/desc.asp?prid=2910
JA5ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 07:53 PM   #1068
Tech Regular

Default First printed Ad of 710

Hey,

The new RC mag RC Driver has a full page 710 ad in their January 2004 issue, P 63. All orange and fancy. Nice ad, and this new mag looks really promising. Lot's of useful articles, not like the "other" mag beginning with RC, ending with CA... We truly live in the best of times.
fmolzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 08:14 PM   #1069
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: WHOOPS

Quote:
Originally posted by Schrijver99
I'm still very sorry!!!!!
Too much having a good driving till forget how to built...

Man... you kept me thingking for soo long...
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 08:58 PM   #1070
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Basic question for v.small tracks.

Quote:
Originally posted by JA5ON
u can oso try using smaller rear wheeladapters
http://www.mytsn.com/products/desc.asp?prid=2910
Yes correct. I run that too on my Impulse PRO. If you look at the 705 thread, I had a pic of the wheels with these narrow wheel hex adaptors.

But like what Goldfinger mentioned, the wheels will rub on the floating rear mount adaptor which I also use on my TC setup. I believe when I use a 2 degree offset wheel in the rear, somehow it clears up (touches only little when cornering). I need to use the 8 mm adaptors, 2 degree offset wheels with -4 camber and the trackwidth will still be under 200 mm. That's what I use on my Impulse PRO which I have not modified the rear upper arms.

On my 705 with the modded upper rear arms, I use the stock 11 mm aluminum wheel hex adaptor, 0 offset wheels, -4 camber and still under 200 mm (198 mm exactly).
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 09:50 PM   #1071
Tech Prophet

Default Re: First printed Ad of 710

Quote:
Originally posted by fmolzer
The new RC mag RC Driver has a full page 710 ad in their January 2004 issue, P 63. All orange and fancy. Nice ad, and this new mag looks really promising. Lot's of useful articles, not like the "other" mag beginning with RC, ending with CA... We truly live in the best of times.
Yup, somebody posted that on the 705 thread way before the 710 was officially announced.

Pics attached below are more clear. Taken from the rcmodel website.

Old 11-19-2003, 10:05 PM   #1072
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

MORE STEERING
Sometimes if the car feels good and well balanced in and out of the corners try narrowing the front end to 196 or 194. it will gain lots of steering. This is a trick Lou Pryzbala tought me on the impact. It works when all else fails. you will be amazed what a few MM narrower on the front does for steering and it won't upset the chassis like you would think.

I remember watching Brian Berry narrowing the arms on his Veteq with a dremel where the pivot balls thread in for the same reason.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:09 PM   #1073
Tech Fanatic

Thank a lot for sharing with me (us) serpentracer1.
I really appreciate your valuable input.

About smaller rear toe-in, i do agree with you.
This is 1st lesson from mistake Ive learned . Before... I thought that more toe in(rear) will stabilised the car when out corner but result was worse. Then try the 1.5 deg. it was like "bang" the rear wheel is able to hold up the line.

As for more caster will help car turns better in sharp corners, I think Im experiencing the same way with "D". Less caster is more required....
GoldFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:24 PM   #1074
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorman
MORE STEERING
Sometimes if the car feels good and well balanced in and out of the corners try narrowing the front end to 196 or 194. it will gain lots of steering. This is a trick Lou Pryzbala tought me on the impact. It works when all else fails. you will be amazed what a few MM narrower on the front does for steering and it won't upset the chassis like you would think.
Agree with you on that one Dennis ! I think one of the single most important setting that made a difference on the 705 is the trackwidth. I try to run as narrow as I can now and the car handles like a dream.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:31 PM   #1075
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
I try to run as narrow as I can now and the car handles like a dream.

You never tell me this before ...
GoldFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:38 PM   #1076
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to lawndoggie Send a message via Yahoo to lawndoggie
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Basic question for v.small tracks.

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Yep, slow is good!

Which pivot balls are you using with your FC blocks? You can definately get the width down to at least 200mm with the pivot balls for the FC blocks - if I remember rightly they have to be turned in pretty much the whole way.

The wheels are fragile - which ones are you using? The dished wheels are stronger, so it may be worth getting some of those.

Cheers, Mark.
Oops! I am using the pivot balls for the standard steering blocks. I don't think that makes a difference to the track width as the steering blocks are ALMOST touching the upper and lower arms already.
I f*cked my stock wheels after the first 3 minutes, and managed to f*cked up the mugen fast disk wheels in the next 5 minutes.
I still have a set of brand new jaco wheels, but I am afraid to use them as I might mess it up again in 8 minutes! hahahah
I think from now on, I'll stick with one brand and one type of wheels, so if I mess a front left, I won't have to change the PAIR! =)
lawndoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:40 PM   #1077
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: WHOOPS

Quote:
Originally posted by Schrijver99
I'm still very sorry!!!!!
Hahahah I think you should consult Mark about better picture taking! heheheh
Old 11-19-2003, 10:44 PM   #1078
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldFinger
About smaller rear toe-in, i do agree with you.
This is 1st lesson from mistake Ive learned . Before... I thought that more toe in(rear) will stabilised the car when out corner but result was worse. Then try the 1.5 deg. it was like "bang" the rear wheel is able to hold up the line.
Depends on your track and what you want to stabilise your car. On power or off power.

From the way I read serpentracer1's setting, he needed more on power steering on the track he runs as obviously from his front overdrive, stiffer rear sway bar and less rear to in.

More rear toe-in will not give you on power steering. Off power steering and braking would be better with more rear toe-in.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:47 PM   #1079
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldFinger
You never tell me this before ...
For what reason did I cut up and show the modded upper rear arms?

That's what it is for ! To make the rear narrower.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:48 PM   #1080
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by paulfitipauldi
My LHS here in Puerto Rico is offering me the 710 at $389.95, I think is a really great price for an intruduction Item!!,,

Ciao!
I checked with the local distributor and retailers here, all told me 359USD. Which is the same as 705... what a deal! If only the parts can be cheaper... especially N00B like me...