R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2003, 11:39 PM   #1216
Tech Adept
 
S710_Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 229
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by fmolzer
Still don't see the point Is Serpent or any of the other RC manufacturers forcing anybody to buy what they offer?

Explain to me why it was a bad move to release the 705 a year ago, when the 710 was at least a year out of being production ready? Even if S did not show the 710 (that they didn't complete the design on yet) at the Chicago show, was anybody really surprised when the 710 was finally announced ? Like I said, it's a constant development.

Was anybody really surprised when the P4 processors were out? Should the computer manufacturers be ashamed of themselves that they were only selling the P3:s for about a year and a half after it's introduction and then went to P4:s? Did the release of the P4 processor all of a sudden make all PC:s with a P3 in them slower? Nope Embrace change, without it, we would still be staring at two sticks, trying to figure out how to make fire. Or be like me, love development, but be nostalgic, I still hold on to my 25 year old 1/8 scale on road car and a couple of 1/8 scale buggys that must be close to 30 years by now. Love it all.
I think if serpent hadn't bought the 705 out they would have lost a huge amount of customers...
S710_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 11:44 PM   #1217
Tech Adept
 
S710_Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 229
Default

Rumors are that Mugen is too release a new car Feb 04, nothings official till then though...
S710_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 04:58 AM   #1218
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 315
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Same argument, different page...

All of these exact same discussions are on earlier pages in this forum thread. Some people are mad about release of 705, 710, VETEQ, 950, 950R, etc etc etc.

For those in that category, please read the thread from the beginning. Many of the same opinions are offered, and Serpent addresses those discussions very well.

Let's not degenerate this thread again, please, by going through all the same heated discussions.

Glenn Cauley
Ottawa, Canada
GlennCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 06:20 AM   #1219
Tech Regular
 
rpoage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ct Penn. USA
Posts: 278
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

****News Flash****

Serpent Heemstede, Netherlands

Following a lead from the computer software industry and reacting to the requests from their customers Serpent is announcing a new contract purchase program. To ensure that Serpent customers have the latest version they can now purchase a car tecnology contract. For the sum of 400.00 Euros Serpent will ship to the customer on January 1st the latest version of their car. The contract will also include two free call for tech support to Michael Salvin personally. Additional tech support calls will be billed at 50.00 euros.


Come on guys stop the whining. Serpent is in the business of building racing cars and giving their customers race winning equipment. If your looking for an investment buy stocks, bonds or gold. If your looking for R.C. racing equipments buy the latest technology. While I'm on the subject of silly behavior, If major contributors from any company participate in this or any other forum with an interest in sharing information and answering questions and maybe learning something in the process, it might be a good tact to not beat up their company and make them write long rebuttals? Just a thought. Now stop typing and reading and go experience the fun of racing a toy car for a faux marble trophy.
rpoage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 06:39 AM   #1220
Tech Elite
 
fastharry™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Posts: 2,846
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™
Default

I don't think anyones whining...and what we are discussing applies to the rc industry as a whole......

And to be honest,I really don't think people get upset money wise..RC'er's are a passionate group..they feel their car is the best,prettiest,fastest,best looking,etc......So when a new car comes out,they feel a little bad they're "baby" isn't new anymore.......Sort of like a family where the newborn gets all the attention...

No ones upset at serpent..(unless the cars take till March to get)..

back to the "710"....
__________________
www.fastharry.com---search "fastharry" on facebook
See Fastharry in Super Nitro racing at the HPI CHALLENGE...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzo-cBEnE0c
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 10:27 AM   #1221
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 277
Send a message via ICQ to lawndoggie Send a message via Yahoo to lawndoggie
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
The 705 was my first ever RC car and putting it together was great fun. When I got a little stuck, I asked the good people here and got the answers I needed. Now that I've been running it for about 7-8 months, the driving has improved a lot and I can start to learn more about setup (i.e. now that the car last more than 1 hour without needing a major rebuid due to poor driving )
To this end, I also bought myself last month a Tamiya Surikarn EVO III - comparing the two cars in terms of building, it was pretty much the same.

Manuals can always be improved and I'm sure this is one of Serpent's goals.



I didn't find the manual bad, sometimes, though occasionally a diagram wasn't as clear as it could have been, but asking here always got my answer

Cheers, Mark.
Yes Mark! When I decided to get the 705 a few months ago, I read through almost all the post on the thread, and yours were particularly interesting! It was fun following you building phase to the driving phase to the breaking and back to driving!! ANd it was nice to see the people here always friendly and helpful. That was a main reason why I got the 705 and why I still log on to rctech! Thanks everyone!
lawndoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 10:37 AM   #1222
Tech Fanatic
 
EVOLUTION's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Everywhere,yet Nowhere!
Posts: 978
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by rpoage
****News Flash****

The contract will also include two free call for tech support to Michael Salvin personally. Additional tech support calls will be billed at 50.00 euros.
I didn't know Michael was in the 1 900 "call me" business !!!

What about if I want Pieter and Julius to join in on the phone and make it a threesome tech support,how much extra is that?
EVOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 10:58 AM   #1223
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 277
Send a message via ICQ to lawndoggie Send a message via Yahoo to lawndoggie
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
I don't think anyones whining...and what we are discussing applies to the rc industry as a whole......

And to be honest,I really don't think people get upset money wise..RC'er's are a passionate group..they feel their car is the best,prettiest,fastest,best looking,etc......So when a new car comes out,they feel a little bad they're "baby" isn't new anymore.......Sort of like a family where the newborn gets all the attention...

No ones upset at serpent..(unless the cars take till March to get)..

back to the "710"....
Thanks fastharry, I am totally with you.
I am happy with my 705.. Heck! ITs my first nitro... my childhood dream come true!! Always wanted a serpent! Will mostly get a 710 IF my driving improves! hehehehe
What I am not too happy is that from the articles from mytsn, it sounded as if many of the team drivers where not too happy with the 705...
And it seemed to me that they were not happy with the 705 even BEFORE its release. I felt that somehow they knew that they were releasing something that had problems... (small sweet spot and whatever else) just to try to regain market share or generate profit...
So all in all, I am happy with the fact that they are constantly making innovation And I am happy that they have a new car out!
Anyway, lets end it here

I went out on the track for the third time today.. guess what! a few minutes into the run, I was WAY TOOO throttle happy... and bang.. into the wall again... whats bad is that the car always seems to find ways to break parts that I don't have... first time doggie bones... second time shock shaft.. this time the whole stupid shock Rather than buying spare parts.. I think I'll buy some old tires from the junk yard and put them around the track!!
Well I did true the tires to 60 front and 62 rear.. I think that gave the car better turning than before!

Anyway, here come my question
I got more dings on my pipe Will have to try the freezer method... just curious as to what people use to seal the pipe before puting it in freezer? Thanks yall!
lawndoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 11:01 AM   #1224
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 277
Send a message via ICQ to lawndoggie Send a message via Yahoo to lawndoggie
Default circuit

Hmmm from what I heard, there is the 1/10 world in 2004??
I was thinking why can't they make something like the F1 circuit?
A stop in UK, one in california, one in France, one in Hong Kong, and a few other countries.. and the total points winner gets the title!
lawndoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 11:09 AM   #1225
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Mariche
Posts: 53
Exclamation What to do??

It is so difficult to keep everybody happy.
If you guys go to the 835 forum on MyTSN you will find that people is complaining because they feel Serpent has forgotten them, as there is no replacement for the 835 in sigh.
However, people here are complaining just for the opposite.
That the way it is, I guess…
Fernando_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 11:10 AM   #1226
Tech Elite
 
markp27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nuremberg, Germany
Posts: 4,069
Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by lawndoggie
Yes Mark! When I decided to get the 705 a few months ago, I read through almost all the post on the thread, and yours were particularly interesting! It was fun following you building phase to the driving phase to the breaking and back to driving!!
I'm honoured indeed Sir Lawndoggie!

I think it's due to the fact if there was anything one could really cock-up in the building process, I did it and the good people here always got me back on track.
I love my 705 - I don't care if it will run a little slower than the latest-and-greatest - I'm slower than the other guys anyway!!!! I'm no where near the limits of the 705, but this is what I'm learning and hope to get there next year.
Serpent will have to go bust before I change to another manufacturer! They are one of the few companies (if not the only) with a human face - I feel, in my small way, to be part of this team.

I'll go to the track tomorrow with my 705 and even though it'll be just above freezing and th track will be covered in leaves, twigs and acorns, I will enjoy driving my 705!

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 11:17 AM   #1227
Tech Elite
 
markp27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nuremberg, Germany
Posts: 4,069
Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by lawndoggie
I went out on the track for the third time today.. guess what! a few minutes into the run, I was WAY TOOO throttle happy... and bang.. into the wall again... whats bad is that the car always seems to find ways to break parts that I don't have... first time doggie bones... second time shock shaft.. this time the whole stupid shock Rather than buying spare parts.. I think I'll buy some old tires from the junk yard and put them around the track!!
Well I did true the tires to 60 front and 62 rear.. I think that gave the car better turning than before!
If I were you, I would do what I did - simply take the basic setup for your kind of track and a set of tyres and run as long as possible. There is nothing that can be done except to practice and you'll eventually learn how to drive the car. It did take some time for me to reach the point where I wasn't always crashing, but eventually it came.
I wouldn't try and mess to much with finding a great setup or the tyre sizes - what you need to do is simply to drive and try to keep within your limits. Easier said than done and I was always driving beyond my limits and therefore lots of crashes.

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 11:19 AM   #1228
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 277
Send a message via ICQ to lawndoggie Send a message via Yahoo to lawndoggie
Default

http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=9319

Great article!!
Oh nice pic too!
Now can someone tell me what the article is about?
lawndoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 11:26 AM   #1229
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 277
Send a message via ICQ to lawndoggie Send a message via Yahoo to lawndoggie
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
If I were you, I would do what I did - simply take the basic setup for your kind of track and a set of tyres and run as long as possible. There is nothing that can be done except to practice and you'll eventually learn how to drive the car. It did take some time for me to reach the point where I wasn't always crashing, but eventually it came.
I wouldn't try and mess to much with finding a great setup or the tyre sizes - what you need to do is simply to drive and try to keep within your limits. Easier said than done and I was always driving beyond my limits and therefore lots of crashes.

Cheers, Mark.
Yea I really wanted to feel the power of the brake at full speed, but the track was so small that when I got the car to full speed, it was already the end of the straight...
ALso I just bought the hudy setup system, So I kinda wanted to see if my setup was "even" by testing if there was any tweak.. Bad idea!
YOu should have seen those people's faces when they saw my pipe...
SO anyway, what I learned so far:
Don't spend so much time painting the body... cause it'll break in no time! and
buy a cheap pipe...
lawndoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 12:04 PM   #1230
Tech Elite
 
markp27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nuremberg, Germany
Posts: 4,069
Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by lawndoggie
Yea I really wanted to feel the power of the brake at full speed, but the track was so small that when I got the car to full speed, it was already the end of the straight...
Yes, I know that feeling Just when you thinking to yourself, "man this thing is fast", suddenly, you see the end of the track approaching uh-oh! BANG!

Quote:
ALso I just bought the hudy setup system, So I kinda wanted to see if my setup was "even" by testing if there was any tweak..
This is a must - I would get the MIP Tweak Station, too - these are tools you need to see if problems are coming from the car or driver

Quote:
SO anyway, what I learned so far:
Don't spend so much time painting the body... cause it'll break in no time! and
buy a cheap pipe...
I'm still using my cheap pipe (the second one ) and have learnt quickly how to cut and paint a bodyshell - I've had some practice, you see

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serpent 705 J_Longbrake Nitro On-Road 4252 02-23-2015 12:34 AM
WTB: NIB Serpent 710 aN4rK1 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 3 06-16-2006 09:23 PM
Serpent 835 JFCJ R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 3 02-20-2005 09:29 PM
Trade in Your Old Serpent 710 Parts for New Serpent 710 Parts fast_it710 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 09-17-2004 12:27 AM
Serpent Impulse w/MT-12 and Serpent Starter box - cheap Solara R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 03-07-2003 03:01 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:16 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net