R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-21-2003, 02:09 PM   #1201
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by S710_Nut
Cmon guys.... Can't we just get over it and be happy with the S710? I don't believe people went on like this when Mugen released the MTX3 from the MTX2 Pro Spec?
Right said Fred
fmolzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 02:14 PM   #1202
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by S710_Nut
Cmon guys.... Can't we just get over it and be happy with the S710? I don't believe people went on like this when Mugen released the MTX3 from the MTX2 Pro Spec?
Get over what! Who's not happy with the S710, but as with everything in this world nothing is perfect and there's nothing wrong with constructive criticism, just because things are said tongue in cheek helps to make these forums a little more light hearted.
Diesel Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 04:22 PM   #1203
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Bearing sizes

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius
Wheel bearings 10*15*4 mm
Diff bearings 12*18*4 mm
2-speed and middle axle 6*13*4
Thanks for this bearing info Julius..

As we agreed that in 705, we must (at least for rookie like me) to put some overdrive to make the car easy to drive.
Do we still need that for 710 ?

Thanks for your time....
GoldFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 04:48 PM   #1204
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally posted by fmolzer
I for one have a hard time understanding why some people have an issue with the progression through Imp Pro-705-710. Any manufacturer that produces anything will always try to improve on their line-up. Last week, the new Durangos were out here in the US. I have yet to hear anybody being angry with Dodge for releasing a new car. I have also not heard anybody that complained abour Dodge selling 2003 Durangos when they were secretly designing the 2004 version. Get with the program ! 705 is still one of the best cars out there and I for one plan to race the living s**t out of my 705 in local parking lot racing before It gets to retire on my shelf.... If you don't like 710 being out there, just keep doing your dirty work with the 705/impulse SS/Pro or whatever you run. No one will stop you.

the difference is that people have been conditioned to expect a new car every year....so when a new model comes out,its expected...and for alot of people its a highly anticipated event.....in fact,most car shows have the next(or 2 year away model) under the guise of a "SHOW" car from alot of companys every year......I didn't see Serpent at the las vegas show 4 weeks ago with a prototype model,show car,experimental car,etc....

In fact,when I asked at the serpent booth,I was told they have no info on any new car.....

And I'm not raggin' on serpent here..all the rc car companys are the same...
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 07:41 PM   #1205
Tech Regular

Still don't see the point Is Serpent or any of the other RC manufacturers forcing anybody to buy what they offer?

Explain to me why it was a bad move to release the 705 a year ago, when the 710 was at least a year out of being production ready? Even if S did not show the 710 (that they didn't complete the design on yet) at the Chicago show, was anybody really surprised when the 710 was finally announced ? Like I said, it's a constant development.

Was anybody really surprised when the P4 processors were out? Should the computer manufacturers be ashamed of themselves that they were only selling the P3:s for about a year and a half after it's introduction and then went to P4:s? Did the release of the P4 processor all of a sudden make all PC:s with a P3 in them slower? Nope Embrace change, without it, we would still be staring at two sticks, trying to figure out how to make fire. Or be like me, love development, but be nostalgic, I still hold on to my 25 year old 1/8 scale on road car and a couple of 1/8 scale buggys that must be close to 30 years by now. Love it all.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:14 PM   #1206
Tech Elite

heres the difference...I called Microsoft last week...I know they are working on the Longhorn operating system...scheduled for '05....

Serpent wouldn't admit they were working on a new car 4 weeks ago..Forget the fact they already had one.....

I think its great they change up.......of course,the people who bought the 705 2 months ago might not..
Old 11-21-2003, 08:43 PM   #1207
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Lets face it... a car is only good realistically for one season. By that time, you have to rebuild enough of it to warrent a new car.

So get the newer model... or the upgraded one.

If you are only racing at a club level, you dont need the latest and greatest. The 705 in this case will still have you competative. If your only a few seconds of winning races, then the newer car might help.
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 08:50 PM   #1208
Tech Regular

I guess we'll never agree on this. I just see it as everybody's right to introduce new products in the marketplace any way they see fit in order to maximize market impact and profits. You feel that unless it is properly announced way ahead of schedule, somebody is trying to sneak one up on you. I guess I am kind of influenced from my business. We do lot's of new industrial designs, and in that world it is all hush-hush until it is officially released. You may be able to find examples in the market of organisations acting like you prefer, but Longhorn is produced by a company that for all intents and purposes has a monopoly in their field and they don't play by the same rules as every one else. (yes I know Mac is better and big in the media world but ask anyone else what they use...). Back to 710 ?
Old 11-21-2003, 08:58 PM   #1209
Tech Initiate

I bought a Veteq in 2001, I bought again a Vector NT in 2002 because the setting up work and performance of Veteq frustrated me. Serpent then launched the 950 in 2003 and 950R at end of 2003. This is so called the ˇĄconstant improvement.ˇ¦ Serpent let the consumer to test their products and they do the improvement work.
utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:06 PM   #1210
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by fmolzer
I guess we'll never agree on this. I just see it as everybody's right to introduce new products in the marketplace any way they see fit in order to maximize market impact and profits. You feel that unless it is properly announced way ahead of schedule, somebody is trying to sneak one up on you. I guess I am kind of influenced from my business. We do lot's of new industrial designs, and in that world it is all hush-hush until it is officially released. You may be able to find examples in the market of organisations acting like you prefer, but Longhorn is produced by a company that for all intents and purposes has a monopoly in their field and they don't play by the same rules as every one else. (yes I know Mac is better and big in the media world but ask anyone else what they use...). Back to 710 ?

believe it or not,I don't mind..I'me glad they have a new platform thats easy to work on(The main reason I went tc3 2 years ago)..

I was just adding different views.....
Old 11-21-2003, 09:08 PM   #1211
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by utopian
I bought a Veteq in 2001, I bought again a Vector NT in 2002 because the setting up work and performance of Veteq frustrated me. Serpent then launched the 950 in 2003 and 950R at end of 2003. This is so called the ˇĄconstant improvement.ˇ¦ Serpent let the consumer to test their products and they do the improvement work.
In the last 4 years I have bought at least 14 nitro touring cars, 6 of them serpents. If there were any more cars out there that I thought was worth while owning I'd buy them too. Still don't get the point. Who forced you to buy these cars that apparantly you bought without really wanting to I still love being able to show up with an old impulse SS and show everyone that it is still down to the driver who wins races...
Old 11-21-2003, 09:10 PM   #1212
Tech Regular

To be honest about it though, at winternats, I like to bring the latest and greatest and for sure I wil get my AXX thoroughly handed to me by the real racers....
Old 11-21-2003, 09:34 PM   #1213
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Whilst I havent had as many cars as some, I find myself getting a new chassis each year. From Kyosho spider mk2 to a HPI racer2.
I ditched the HPI for one of the then new v-one r gpr. It gave way to the MTX3. I'm currently running the Serpent 835, and I have to say, Serpent has by far the best support for their products. Bring on the 710!
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:41 PM   #1214
Tech Initiate

Serpent has been constantly improving their products, I am afraid it would be rather hard to get parts again. As the platform of 710 is totally difference to their preceding touring. I think I would not get parts for my Impulse Pro in next year. I might be forced to buy a new car. The targets are G4 or MTX-4. I might consider the 710R which is the refinement version of 710 at the end of 2004.
utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 10:31 PM   #1215
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

I am not sure this make sence to everyone, but I have a feeling SERPENT is redoing something we've all experienced before.....80386/486 Computer period.....

Back 12-13 years ago....80386/486 with VGA monitor and 4 meg of ram is standard, around $1500 plus, and for ppl like me (high school student back then)...upgrading the memory from 4 meg to 8 meg is a HUGH step....25 meg hard drive to 50 meg HD is the 2nd BIG step....3-1/2" floppy is like DVD now, and that was an option as well.....we build computer PIECE by PIECE and adding options and try to created our own DREAM computer to play games like "Tetris"...

Now.....P4 with 512 meg, 128meg video 3D card, this and that with 100 gig HD....is like $1500 with free 17" moniter.....and there should be NO ONE going to upgrade their last year (or 2 years old) P3 chip to P4 and spend $1500 of upgrade to upgrade their OLD computer to the latest one.....because, simply SELL the old one and BUY the new one is much cheaper........

Same thing here........last year model 705 Serpent, ebay value can be from $200-$230 for a decent rolling chassis with no motor, there are still plenty of ppl want to buy that (in fact, I have several friends selling them now....) the price is still good.......SELL the 705 and get the 710 if you think the 710 is better or must have for next season, brand new 705 is like $360, if you ended up selling your 705 for $220...you lose $140.....$140 for 1 season of RC is like renting a Serpent 705 $22 a month (for 6 months)........I've seen ppl spend $400 for a JP modified motor and distroyed it in 3-4 races........and $4000 for a titianium T-maxxx and just putting on the shave for SHOW purpose....$140 is really nothing.

What I want to say is....make up your mind now, if you think the 710 is the one that you want, sell your 705 now......I sold my NTC3 the next day I saw the 710 pictiures and I WAS NOT planning to sell my NTC3 at all (I was thinking I will hold on the NTC3 for at least 1-2 more season)............thats tells me how good I think the 710 is going to be.

Last....Serpent is a products, and also a business, ppl work for Serpent for living, and they have to make money.....if next week, someone from Serpent said Serpent will released a Serpent 710 "R" version in middle next summer......guess how many ppl will BUY the 710, and how many ppl will HOLD on their 705 and wait for the newer 710...

Again....business is always business, revenue goes first....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote