R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-06-2004, 12:29 PM   #4051
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by evlhdlts
i have a .7mm space according to my digital caliper. i believe this is what the book says.
i use graphite grease just like the book said on the first thrust bearing that i blew up. then i switched to white lithium grease which i used to use on my mtx-3 for a whole year and still the second thrust bearing blew up.
so now that i'm gonna install another one, i don't want anymore mistakes... they are quite expensive also.
I'm sure you did this but to make sure. Make certain you have the correct placement of the rings. The one with the smalle inner diameter goes on the adapter first. So the one with the larger inner diameter is closest to the clutch bell.
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:11 PM   #4052
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

yeah i did that also.
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 02:03 PM   #4053
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rene C.
Hi Craig !
You have too much time. Because I know how much time it costs to do things like this. It looks nice.
You did not change the front track-wide?
So the car is rear very wide (like 248mm) and front very small (like 225mm).
How does the car perform against a S835?
Rene, Alistair is correct that some of the parts have been changed to convert it to a 235mm chassis but the main 710 design remains the same.

The car is 240 wide at the rear and 227 at the front. (I would normally run the 835 with approx 10-15mm diff)

It used VoneS drive shafts at the rear and the normal 835 up front.

Some spacers have been made for the axles and some of the arms modified but the 710 suspension design is still retained. The front axles are modified 835 rears and the throttle set-up is an adaption from the 950r.

The chassis, radio plate and side braces are custom made as the car is 10mm longer than the 710.

The car still feature all of the set-up variables that the 710 has though.

We have only run it once (with a sedan body and TQed) but already have achieved a time within .1 of a sec of the best that I did with the 835 in the same config.

It will be interesting but I would assume that it will be easily a better car than the out of date design that is the 835.

HINT,HINT it would be great if Serpent made one. You can send me one if they do.

Craig

BTW, THOMAS (aka venomworldorder) has asked me to write an article about the Mirage for RC Underground so once I get time you can check it out on his site.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:16 PM   #4054
Tech Adept

Quote:
i burnt two thrust bearing already for the centax. am i the only one having this problem or is there anyone out there who can help me fix it.
i am not really new to centax since i've used it for a year on my mtx-3 and maintained it and never really had such problem.
I have destroyed one, but this could have been my own fault as i think someone may have forgotten to grease the bearing like the manual suggests!
S710_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 02:19 PM   #4055
Tech Elite

for those guys who don't burn their thrust bearing for the centax..
share your maintenance techniques.
what grease do you use?
what kind of maintenance do you do?
Old 02-06-2004, 02:41 PM   #4056
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
for those guys who don't burn their thrust bearing for the centax..
share your maintenance techniques.
what grease do you use?
what kind of maintenance do you do?
I have had no problems with clutch thrust bearings (touch wood) but I lube the bearing at the start of the days racing and again before each final.
I do shim the clutch so it doesn't have to much end float, but it must have end float you can feel so the bearing is not preloaded when the clutch gets hot.

The 7mm clutch gap is to get the correct clutch engagement.
Pacman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 03:19 PM   #4057
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig1
Rene, Alistair is correct that some of the parts have been changed to convert it to a 235mm chassis but the main 710 design remains the same.

The car is 240 wide at the rear and 227 at the front. (I would normally run the 835 with approx 10-15mm diff)

It used VoneS drive shafts at the rear and the normal 835 up front.

Some spacers have been made for the axles and some of the arms modified but the 710 suspension design is still retained. The front axles are modified 835 rears and the throttle set-up is an adaption from the 950r.

The chassis, radio plate and side braces are custom made as the car is 10mm longer than the 710.

The car still feature all of the set-up variables that the 710 has though.

We have only run it once (with a sedan body and TQed) but already have achieved a time within .1 of a sec of the best that I did with the 835 in the same config.

It will be interesting but I would assume that it will be easily a better car than the out of date design that is the 835.

HINT,HINT it would be great if Serpent made one. You can send me one if they do.

Craig

BTW, THOMAS (aka venomworldorder) has asked me to write an article about the Mirage for RC Underground so once I get time you can check it out on his site.

Hi Craig!
Would be nice to discussed your project a little bit. I very interested to get a 710 driving in the 835 class. So itís possible I can help you with the setup and stuff a little.
I donít know what the future will be, and if Serpent will make a new 835 car, but I donít want to let die this class. Ok, I personally donít drive this class, but I like to see them.
So īme of your changes sounds very interesting.
When Iím back from the Winternats we will talk about that.

Keep on going
Rene
Rene C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 08:37 PM   #4058
Tech Elite

thanks pacman.
i'll do what you do as a habit now. every start and main i'll lube the thrust bearing to make sure.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:01 AM   #4059
Tech Regular

Default Thrust Bearing

Evlhlts,

You never asked me what to do with the Centax.

Ask and you shall receive my son !!!!!!!!!

See you Sunday !!!!!!!!!

Jabronus
JABRONI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 01:01 AM   #4060
BG
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius
I'm sure you did this but to make sure. Make certain you have the correct placement of the rings. The one with the smalle inner diameter goes on the adapter first. So the one with the larger inner diameter is closest to the clutch bell.

I have done the same thing. Five years racing and I have never had a thrustbearing fail on me. The only difference this time was that I used molibium disulfide grease. It was a graphite based grease. Stay away from lubricants that contain graphite. You want one that doesnt migrate under load. Sorry to say this but the Mugen Grease is perfect, I just happen to run out that weekend.

Cheers

Bill Giannitis
BG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 01:08 AM   #4061
BG
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig1
Young Billy talk a look at my new car.

I like to call it a Mirage, because it's not what it appears.

Craig

Nice I must say. I never thought it was possible. I had a quick look myself but I thought that it was something SERPENT could do for a price.

Just let me know how much it costs for those upgrade parts
BG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 03:00 AM   #4062
Tech Prophet

Quote:
i burnt two thrust bearing already for the centax. am i the only one having this problem or is there anyone out there who can help me fix it.
The end float of 0.7 mm is fine. Do like what Julius mentioned about the larger inner diameter ring (5.2 mm) in the clutchbell first and the outer one (5.0 mm) after that. Put good high temp grease like what Punisher / Pit-racer mentioned. I use the Mugen Super grease (very sticky) it it's good stuff.

Just that AFTER you install the Centax clutch on the engine, the clutchbell should move in axial direction very minimally. You should take out any play by putting some shims as per Step 8.7 on page 28 of the 710 manual.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 03:04 AM   #4063
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by cyba888
I notice my 710 screws are starting to rust on top
Would WD40 take care of that problem of would I need something stronger to take away the rust? Anyone have this problem? Its only 1 month old, maybe my hands were sweaty when I built mine
Easy... Use titanium screws !

But seriously, if your weather is anything like ours here where it's hot and humid all year round, rust is always a problem. It does not help when the screws get in touch with the fuel. I guess cleaning the car with a little WD40 or a little after run oil may help.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:08 AM   #4064
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacman25
Why does the 710 look after its front tyres better than the 705?
You mean tire wear in the front is better on the 710 than it is on the 705? Perhaps weight difference?
Old 02-07-2004, 03:08 AM   #4065
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by BG
As for the front shock mount change it so that we dont need to pack it with washers so that the shockers dont bind.
Front shocks binding? Which is this? You mean the angle not being straight? I think that issue was addressed by Julius already.

Quote:
Originally posted by BG
The front steering nuckles might need a little mold adjusting as well. The inside of the wheel does touch with heavy cornering when using the Ellegi premounted tyres with white generic rims.
Bill, yes, the wheel rims does rub but on Speedmind dish wheels which was notorious for rubbing the front knuckles with the previous stock knuckles of the 705, it only rubbed very little on the 710 and after that it does not rub anymore. Just my observation.