R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-07-2004, 03:09 AM   #4066
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by kitracer
the last thing that I want to see is a company only admit to have problems with the car, 2 years later.
Hey kitracer, welcome to the fold !

Yes, sometimes being straight and honest about something can have adverse effects. Like I mentioned earlier, not kit is without flaws.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 03:10 AM   #4067
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by BG
I have done the same thing. Five years racing and I have never had a thrustbearing fail on me.
Same here Bill but not as long as you have been ! I never had the Centax thrust bearing fail after 2 years of using it on the Impulse PRO and then on to the 705 and now the 710.

Like you, I also use the Mugen Super Grease to lube the thrust bearing. Good stuff.

But I thought I read somewhere that Michael Salven (as does Picco) uses Loctite 8191 to lube their thrust bearing. It's a kind of dry film coating on metal that does not attract dust and dirt when it dries.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:36 AM   #4068
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default 710

Hey i got my 710 finished ! Cant wait to go to FTSPEEDWAY test with it.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 07:42 AM   #4069
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to serpentracer1

I've used associated black grease on both my impact and impulses and 705 and such and have never had a problem just have to watch the way you install the thrust bearing because of the inner dia of the washers and I redo the bearing every weekend before I race.
Orion R10 Pro VST powered
serpentracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 08:11 AM   #4070
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys, I know this has been asked before but I would like to know how some of you break your engines in. I know there ways other people use than others so I just want to see how some of you do it. Would like to gather as much info as possible. If you dont mind spending some time telling me your style of engine break in, I would appreciate it, PLEASE
Futaba 4PX
cyba888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 08:15 AM   #4071
Tech Fanatic

How would you know if your thrust bearings are shot?
Futaba 4PX
Old 02-07-2004, 08:17 AM   #4072
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by cyba888
Hey guys, I know this has been asked before but I would like to know how some of you break your engines in. I know there ways other people use than others so I just want to see how some of you do it. Would like to gather as much info as possible. If you dont mind spending some time telling me your style of engine break in, I would appreciate it, PLEASE
I use a hudy break in bench, I first richen the main needle by turn, and run the engine for 10 minutes at low RPM. Then i run the engine for an additional 15 minutes at medium-high RPM at the same richness setting.
Then I install the engine in my car, and run the car through 3 more tanks of fuel while adjusting the carburetor to achieve a good top-speed.
Hope this helps
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 08:26 AM   #4073
Tech Fanatic

Whne you say 1/2 turn do you mean the hsn half way out? Do you let your engine cool down first after each tank and what about using a temp gun? Seems to me temp gun is a must for engine break in, but I dont have one Sorry for so many questions....
Futaba 4PX
Old 02-07-2004, 08:38 AM   #4074
Tech Prophet

Quote:
How would you know if your thrust bearings are shot?
When the balls literally come out...
Old 02-07-2004, 09:00 AM   #4075
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by BG
The inside of the wheel does touch with heavy cornering when using the Ellegi premounted tyres with white generic rims.
The last time I used ellegy, I remember measure the width (front).. they are not exactly 26 (more actually). Try to find GQ tires, they are exactly 26mm, feels like ellegy but with better wear and the best part.. a much cheaper cost. As fas as speedmind, I like their performance only on a very clean track, but still a little rubbing inside.
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 09:07 AM   #4076
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by BG
As for the front shock mount change it so that we dont need to pack it with washers so that the shockers dont bind.
I said it again.. cut 1mm thinner on that plastic top part, it will move freely. Even if the shock tower will be revised to hold the shock straight... it will fail you with the breaking shock cap/body or even the shock tower in the even of such impact with craked/broken arms. The shock is the one the I wish get improved, including the shaft that broke (not bend) on such impact.. remember 1/8 for the worlds?
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 09:19 AM   #4077
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Seems to me temp gun is a must for engine break in, but I dont have one
Well, you don't need expensive type of temp guns like the Exergen. I think the one like is sold from www.tempgun.com is currently being sold a lot in Taiwan under different names and brands. You should be able to get hold of that pretty cheap.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:34 AM   #4078
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyramid
The last time I used ellegy, I remember measure the width (front).. they are not exactly 26 (more actually). Try to find GQ tires, they are exactly 26mm, feels like ellegy but with better wear and the best part.. a much cheaper cost. As fas as speedmind, I like their performance only on a very clean track, but still a little rubbing inside.
Yes, you are right. I measured the front Ellegi 6 spoke rims (Serpent style) and it has a width of 26.4 mm !

I think whether the rims rub the front knuckles has got to do with the relative offset the rims have with each other makes of tires. The front Ellegi rims (Serpent 6 spoke style) have a slightly more positive offset which makes the rim clear from the knuckles when compared to the others.

GQ tires have nice traction especially if the track is dusty but I find that they wear faster. Also, if you're not careful, they chunk easy too. But I like their rims. They are hard and resist bending.

Ellegi tires are good for clean tracks but their rims are not as hardy as the Speedmind tires that I've used. Also, I find that their wear rate is not as good as the Speedmind tires for about the same traction.

Over here, ALL tires are of the same price. No difference if we choose Speedmind, Ellegi, FAST, JACO or GQ tires.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:58 PM   #4079
Tech Regular

Default Break In

Quote:
I use a hudy break in bench, I first richen the main needle by turn, and run the engine for 10 minutes at low RPM. Then i run the engine for an additional 15 minutes at medium-high RPM at the same richness setting.

I do just about he same thing. My time is only 2 minutes difference, however , your comment about cooling is a non issued do to the fact that the HUDY break in bench has a PROP blade attached which keeps it cool,.

Not only does the Prop Blade keep it cool but it puts a drag on the engine to simulate the weight and drag of the car due to the blade desing of the prop.
JABRONI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 03:17 AM   #4080
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

yeah maybe you could break in my motor just so we'll see how good it is.. hehe

did you get your front ball diff yet?
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote