Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ilanstylz
Guys lets just stick to the topic of this thread, which is the sc10 4x4 not a conversion of this or that......................

Anyone else run their FT version sc10 yet?
Got mine yesterday and ran it today on carpet it's a sc10 4x4 ft not converted worked great love the updates associated made
Old 03-31-2012, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CT RACER
Got mine yesterday and ran it today on carpet it's a sc10 4x4 ft not converted worked great love the updates associated made
Nice, how did the new clutch setup holdup on the carpet? Mine did great on a hard packed clay track........
Old 03-31-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Slashdrivr
Hope that wasn't "Apple"...he finished 3rd, gonna have to give him a hard time if he Losi'd you, he's usually pretty good about not wrecking someone just to make a pass...
No, an orange truck did 2-3 laps in and you can see it in the video once I upload it.

Apple didn't 'losi' me, but he did jump the track shaving my lead over him to nothing and ultimately costing me 3rd. I'm a little disgruntled about that to say the least.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:44 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by CoyoteSlash
They work fine on 2S. Especially with a little CF help, they work just fine.
--------------------
Bcrazy/WC: You've seen what you've seen and I respect that but you saw Rc8 conversions done wrong or something then. Of course if you're refering to indoor tight tracks where our sc10 4x4 is designed for...
indoor is what most race on yeah know ?

and
Ones I race can beat most of you guys ...

A little experiment , add more than a 1lb of lead to your Sc4x4 and drive it ...

O-man ! You will understand ....
Old 03-31-2012, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bcrazy
I never stated that it wasn't legal if it fit in the box but I have seen tracks and or Short Course events that specifically state no 1/8 conversions
No, you have not. You think you have, but you are mistaken.

What they say is "no 1/8 scale tires"

And I'm pretty sure you're wrong Craig, no offense. It has to be a box'd sell 1/10 SC. Not a conversion. (for ROAR)
None taken, but I'm certain I'm not.

I went to the trouble to give the cite to the ROAR rules for short course so somebody could find the section that said you couldn't do it. Even Rick Hohwart said it'd be legal in ROAR - while he's not the end all be all, his dad Fred runs the ROAR office.

Here are the rules for the Short Course Showdown:

http://www.shortcourseshowdown.com/rules.html

Any tire specifically designed for SC Trucks. no 1/8th conversions

Only SC Bodies originally designed for SC Trucks

Any option part designed for SC Trucks

Any size motor is allowed

7 Cell or 2S Hard Case Lipo Batteries only.

AFTER MARKET MASS PRODUCED OPTION CHASSIS'S OR LOW CG CHASSIS'S ARE ALLOWED FOR THE ABOVE LISTED TRUCKS.
NO HOMEMADE CONVERSIONS ARE ALLOWED.
To me it's pretty simple:

1. Is the motor legal ?
2. Is the battery legal?
3. Is the truck correct dimensionaly (within the minimum and the maximum)?
4. Does it have legal tires and wheels on it?
5. Does it have a legal body?
6. Does it meet minimum weight?

And the imagineary rule that everyone is harping on:

7. Is there any other reason in the rule book to DQ it?

JBRL also says no homemade conversions. I know Jimmy pretty well, and to take that rule at it's face value, which means nothing unobtanium that your dad at NASA whipped up for you. But if you can order everything from stock parts and put it together and not fab anything, where is the unfair edge? If if wasn't, I'd be more inclined to agree with you guys. And if you can't take parts off the shelf from retail sources and put it together without it being considered "homemade", does than mean anyone running anything other than a box stock RTR is open to be disqualified?

BTW, at SCS the new Xray XB9 conversion is legal. If I can run an Xray, why can't I build my own AE out of existing stocking parts? Or...

Show me why the bottom truck is illegal.

Last edited by CraigMBA; 03-31-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:05 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ilanstylz
Nice, how did the new clutch setup holdup on the carpet? Mine did great on a hard packed clay track........
Held up pretty good. I really like the truck overall and the shocks are great and can handle anything you throw in its way. And i love the design and how easy they are to put together with the screw holding the shock shaft to the piston wish all of the associated cars were that easy, well hopefully when the big bores come out they will be like that
Old 03-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The only way it wouldn't be able to.be legal is if they specify that it has to be a production made vehicle, meaning came from.factory as a sct.

The rules are pretty loose so this would be able to.run as car as I know. If the xray is legal so is this.

I got my truck now where I like it on outdoor, I don't run on 1/8 scale tracks.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:17 PM

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
indoor is what most race on yeah know ?

and
Ones I race can beat most of you guys ...

A little experiment , add more than a 1lb of lead to your Sc4x4 and drive it ...

O-man ! You will understand ....
I'll leave this doozy alone. Cause 'wow'...

Oh and Craig, touche' on the wording. Also, you started a fire.

Last edited by CoyoteSlash; 03-31-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

I am being knowingly hostle. Not because I want to be right; rather, I want somebody to show me where I'm wrong in no small part so I can save myself $600.

Really, that might happen either way. We have a new indoor track now, it's small, and my conventional SC10 4x4 will be fine there.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 PM
Tech Legend

I'll leave this doozy alone. Cause 'wow'...
GOOD IDEA ......
Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

They work fine on 2S. Especially with a little CF help, they work just fine.
--------------------
Bcrazy/WC: You've seen what you've seen and I respect that but you saw Rc8 conversions done wrong or something then. Of course if you're refering to indoor tight tracks where our sc10 4x4 is designed for...

Those trucks destroy the competition just like that Xray is/was. And unless you're indoors in a tight track, they'll do the same to a sc10 4x4 or losi, or durango. I don't even know why indoor performance vs the sc10 4x4 is an argument. Of course the real 1/10 will perform there. It's What they designed it for. Everyone seems to ignore the fact that outdoor large tracks are the issue here. I won't deny there are loopholes in it's performance from some of the amazing win's we've seen with it. But that defense is flawed. All our little club races and the skill of the drivers we'll all gladly throw around means junk. The few and far between wins are alarming, especially now that we've seen alot of pros give up and don't even run it. If the b4 was like this? What do you think they'd do?
A buddy picked up a Losi SCTE the other day, out of the box stock and was destroying our indoor track. It took me 'alot' of time/love/money to get it to look even close to that. (mind you, i've let much more capable people drive my truck as well to scale a balance between "practice" and "upgrades" )

Edit: I'm not throwing out opinion'ation for the sake of argument. I've spent 800$ additional on this bastard to compete. I think some of us are happy with "My car is winning so I'll have milky eyes for everything else going on" and that's a choice. But a real look at the world that 'matters' and you see the AE Pro 4 world is a barren wasteland right now. I drive on a large tore up 1/10 track. My proof is there. I didn't give up like so many others. But i'm not ignorant about it. I know who has the better truck. And it's not me. By the seat of my pants am I staying out front while the others hunt me... waiting for one mistake.

And I'm pretty sure you're wrong Craig, no offense. It has to be a box'd sell 1/10 SC. Not a conversion. (for ROAR)

While I mostly race on small to med size tracks. Last year I did race my completely stock SC10 4x4 at a regional 1/8 nitro race on a big rocky blown out 1/8 scale track against racers from 5 states. I qualified 2nd and finished 3rd. I have had two racers buy SC10 4x4s after watching and driving mine. The only mods I have done is saddle pack, clutch basket, and chassis brace all of which are available on the new FT version of the truck. Both racers are very happy with their SC10 4x4s and they race against several Losi trucks on both indoor and outdoor tracks.

I think that people are reading too much into the fact that the "Ryans" are running classes other than 4wd SC at 1/10 and even 1/8 scale races. If you think of it there are very few people in the club racing scene that keep up with what's going on in the "Professional RC racing world." (at least where I live and race) Many club racers choose product by watching "local racers" race and ask questions about what they liked on the track. I'm not saying that the "pros" don't sell product but there are racers out there who have know idea who the Ryans, Tebo, Drake, etc etc etc are. They rely on local help and support.

If AE comes out with a shaft driven 4wd SC I'll be all over it, but for now I'll race mine on every type of track I get to, knowing that the truck for me is capable.

One last thing. Big picture If there is no rule in place with a sanctioning body, track and or series against 1/8 scale buggy converted trucks, there will and should be. Why do you ask? The rule will be to protect the average racer who goes into a hobby shop to buy at 4wd Short Course truck. The average racer isn't going to spend the money on a 1/8 scale buggy plus all the parts needed to turn it into a SC and convert it to go racing when the price of a current 1/10 4wd SC is 1/2 the price of a 1/8 buggy alone If there are no rules this class will die a slow death when the bigger 1/8 platforms start taking out the smaller current less expensive platforms.

Last edited by bcrazy; 03-31-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:59 PM

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
GOOD IDEA ......
Don't kid yourself, tool. I left it alone for them, not you.

While I mostly race on small to med size tracks. Last year I did race my completely stock SC10 4x4 at a regional 1/8 nitro race on a big rocky blown out 1/8 scale track against racers from 5 states. I qualified 2nd and finished 3rd. I have had two racers buy SC10 4x4s after watching and driving mine. The only mods I have done is saddle pack, clutch basket, and chassis brace all of which are available on the new FT version of the truck. Both racers are very happy with their SC10 4x4s and they race against several Losi trucks on both indoor and outdoor tracks.

I think that people are reading too much into the fact that the "Ryans" are running classes other than 4wd SC at 1/10 and even 1/8 scale races. If you think of it there are very few people in the club racing scene that keep up with what's going on in the "Professional RC racing world." (at least where I live and race) Many club racers choose product by watching "local racers" race and ask questions about what they liked on the track. I'm not saying that the "pros" don't sell product but there are racers out there who have know idea who the Ryans, Tebo, Drake, etc etc etc are. They rely on local help and support.

If AE comes out with a shaft driven 4wd SC I'll be all over it, but for now I'll race mine on every type of track I get to, knowing that the truck for me is capable.

One last thing. If there is no rule in place with a sanctioning body, track and or series against 1/8 scale buggy converted trucks, there will and should be. Why do you ask? The rule will be to protect the average racer who goes into a hobby shop to buy at 4wd Short Course truck. The average racer isn't going to spend the money on a 1/8 scale buggy plus all the parts needed to turn it into a SC and convert it to go racing when the price of a current 1/10 4wd SC is 1/2 the price of a 1/8 buggy alone If there are no rules this class will die a slow death when the bigger 1/8 platforms start taking out the smaller current less expensive platforms.
Personally it comes down to driving this truck like it's on needles. One mistake and i'm done. I can maintain a lead and fight for my position, I can pass without catastrophe and I definitely am hitting 'some' fast laps. The problem is that 1 mistake. And when I and i'm sure others know that 1 mistake is a 'make or break' like a buggy class... It puts 'me' on needles. On the flipside, the Losis can fall out of corners, bash, and tap walls and they will make up the time. It's a little like a tortoise and hare story. Except we're all grown ups now and we know who really wins that race. (slow is fast, blah blah. I know.)

I run outdoors unless it's raining. (oregon) At my indoor track, I feel fast with all the other guys. I will chase the kyosho buggy guys around and when i'm flawless I can easily pace them. flawless being uncommon of course. WC can go on about how fast his group is to inflate his ego and his penis size all he wants but "we" as a whole are fast drivers who are at the whim of our rigs. I really think in an average size indoor/outdoor track (not this really tight crap like PRCR for example) if anyone of you were handed a losi (the ones that are ahead of you or right behind you) you would be seeing better laptimes with far less effort or 'on needles' feeling...

As far as your last thing, I thought it wouldn't work on 2s? Weren't you and WC saying that? And the "buy 8th, convert" mandatory SC stuff, I will agree with.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Tech Legend

cOYOTE , ty .....

BTW

Said conversion "works" on 2s , but not very fast ....

There's one I race that's 4s...LoL

My point
made easier for those who are just starting ...

1/8th scale conversions weight up to a 1 & 1/2lb more than a Sc10 4x4...

Why I'm stating again the Sc10 4x4 has the advantage against these things , specially if there's more a few 180's on the lay out design...

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 03-31-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Just like the media you only quote what you want to read not my entire post or posts.
I have driven a electric 1/8 and every 1/10 scale 4wd truck in the market and they are very different, so I do have some experience on the differences between the two.
Even if you get the weight of the platform down you still have to move the larger drive train components. This alone will work a 2s system more than the smaller drive train components on the current 1/10 scale production trucks on the market.
I have two spare RC8 buggies and a spare RC8T ready for me to build a SC8 or smaller 4wd SC if it was something I thought I could race in my area. For now my current SC10 4x4 works great.
I have seen the conversions (many of them came out before the SC10 4x4 was on the market) and its not that I don't like the idea but your post stated that AE could release a 1/10 shaft driven short course truck by slapping a short course body on a RC8.2. Its just not as compact and nimble as the current trucks on the market today. Thats all

Shits and Giggles-- The other day I slapped some body mounts from my sc104x4 and the Pro 4 - 4000 on my RC8.2 and it was freakin dialed!! I ran it on 2S with 18/46 gearing and went 6 minute heats coming off at 135* More than fast enough to be competitive. Ya and it weighed in @ 6lb 13oz

IF yer 1/8th buggy isnt as nimble as a 4x4 truck you have setup issues IMO
Old 03-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

One last thing. Big picture If there is no rule in place with a sanctioning body, track and or series against 1/8 scale buggy converted trucks, there will
Disagree. If they enforced that rule, they'd have to get rid of all the Losi's -bam- like that, and that's not going to happen.

Did I mention the Xray is legal?

and should be.
I see where you're coming from, and I still disagree. If it fits the profile of the rules (I read them several times), why be prejudiced to where it came from? And if that's legitimately the concern, why stop there and not mandate RTR trucks and no upgrades and spec a tire?

Why everyone's panties are in a bunch over this is confusing to me. It's a hobby. Some of us like to tinker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.