Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:14 PM

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
Why everyone's panties are in a bunch over this is confusing to me. It's a hobby. Some of us like to tinker.
Other's don't have any interest in tinkering. They want it done out of the box and competitive. Not a stab at anyone either, just how it is.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CoyoteSlash
Other's don't have any interest in tinkering. They want it done out of the box and competitive. Not a stab at anyone either, just how it is.
In that case, they may want to take up another hobby, like darts or poker (which are mostly skill and a little luck). Or run 17.5 blinky 2w. Or the stock Slash class.

By nature, 4wd are really purpose driven designs. Anyone who doesn't think so needs to remember that AE used to make a TC5F for carpet and a TC5F for asphalt before sedans dried up for a reason - you needed two totally different cars to be competitive on one or the other.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:30 PM
Tech Legend

I just used the search !!!!!

R already two conversions threads .....
Old 03-31-2012, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
In that case, they may want to take up another hobby, like darts or poker (which are mostly skill and a little luck). Or run 17.5 blinky 2w. Or the stock Slash class.

By nature, 4wd are really purpose driven designs. Anyone who doesn't think so needs to remember that AE used to make a TC5F for carpet and a TC5F for asphalt before sedans dried up for a reason - you needed two totally different cars to be competitive on one or the other.
I know people who have two identical 1/8 buggies. When one breaks, it gets sent in to be fixed and they drive the other one. Some people don't want to touch anything but the transmitter. Their loss, but I see the price difference here he's talking about.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Thumbs up

now my sc10 4x4 & sc10 2wd are up and running. they are crazy fast. i cant wait to get them to the track. thank you to CAIN for taking the time to help me get them both up and running.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:17 PM
Tech Adept

Default I got my FT today!

Just finished the build. That was a long and tedious process but truly a fun experience. Now I need to hook up the electronics and then play.

I will say this, it will be tough to break it down again to get to the diffs.

It is a solid truck though.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mdutcher
Just finished the build. That was a long and tedious process but truly a fun experience. Now I need to hook up the electronics and then play.

I will say this, it will be tough to break it down again to get to the diffs.

It is a solid truck though.
Nope the diff's can be taken apart in 5 mins ;-) Front and rear
Old 04-01-2012, 03:02 AM
Tech Regular

How are the ball diffs holding up to racing guys, do they take much work to keep clean or in good working order?

Is anyone still running the pin mod on outdoor loose tracks with a slipper setup?
Cheers.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by RossNZ
How are the ball diffs holding up to racing guys, do they take much work to keep clean or in good working order?

Is anyone still running the pin mod on outdoor loose tracks with a slipper setup?
Cheers.
I run mine to the point of child abuse before I redo it. The Grease is black tar before I get to it, and there isn't even a noticeable ring around the plates.

It's a keeper. As far as the pin mod, the Center Diff is a better version of that option.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:44 AM
Tech Regular

I run mine to the point of child abuse before I redo it. The Grease is black tar before I get to it, and there isn't even a noticeable ring around the plates.

It's a keeper. As far as the pin mod, the Center Diff is a better version of that option.
Thanks, that's what I'm thinking, going to look at building my own ball diff, not really cost effective getting it from the US when I have the know how and gear to build it here.

I have made a 3mm steel plate thru the bottom of the chassis, removed the rear chassis brace that hinders a heat sink and fan on the motor, and made a new one, also took of the CF brace and made one from 3mm plate running along the belt tunnel, the weight is now all low, track is 2.8 kgs without the body and under tray, also made the saddles fit inline with ESC inline behind it, track feels very stable and planted now, it was 2.9 kgs last time I raced it, most of that was lead in the front, funny thing is the front and rear weight is within 10oz of were it was before I started, i'm going to have to take a pic for you guys, just rebuilt the shocks and hope to run it tomorrow, I have removed all the sway bars for our loose bumpy track and that was a good move, even gets around our sweeper better (work that one out!).
Other than the clutch setup i'm very happy with the truck.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

how simple of a job is it to bebuild the front and rear differentials? cause i know its time to rebuild them both.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bcrazy
While I mostly race on small to med size tracks. Last year I did race my completely stock SC10 4x4 at a regional 1/8 nitro race on a big rocky blown out 1/8 scale track against racers from 5 states. I qualified 2nd and finished 3rd. I have had two racers buy SC10 4x4s after watching and driving mine. The only mods I have done is saddle pack, clutch basket, and chassis brace all of which are available on the new FT version of the truck. Both racers are very happy with their SC10 4x4s and they race against several Losi trucks on both indoor and outdoor tracks.

I think that people are reading too much into the fact that the "Ryans" are running classes other than 4wd SC at 1/10 and even 1/8 scale races. If you think of it there are very few people in the club racing scene that keep up with what's going on in the "Professional RC racing world." (at least where I live and race) Many club racers choose product by watching "local racers" race and ask questions about what they liked on the track. I'm not saying that the "pros" don't sell product but there are racers out there who have know idea who the Ryans, Tebo, Drake, etc etc etc are. They rely on local help and support.

If AE comes out with a shaft driven 4wd SC I'll be all over it, but for now I'll race mine on every type of track I get to, knowing that the truck for me is capable.

One last thing. Big picture If there is no rule in place with a sanctioning body, track and or series against 1/8 scale buggy converted trucks, there will and should be. Why do you ask? The rule will be to protect the average racer who goes into a hobby shop to buy at 4wd Short Course truck. The average racer isn't going to spend the money on a 1/8 scale buggy plus all the parts needed to turn it into a SC and convert it to go racing when the price of a current 1/10 4wd SC is 1/2 the price of a 1/8 buggy alone If there are no rules this class will die a slow death when the bigger 1/8 platforms start taking out the smaller current less expensive platforms.
Yea I think 1/10 scale SCT 4x4 should remain... 1/10 scale! If you want to run a 1/8 scale SCT then go run a 1/8 scale SCT like I don't know the SC8.

If you run a 1/8 scale conversion in a class where you know most of the other racers have actual 1/10 scale stuff and you can only win when you have a overwhelming mechanical advantage, I'm not saying your cheating, but you are way out side the "spirit" of the class.

The whole point of SCT is to have something that looks scale and is light enough to bang doors without breaking parts. Also a secondary goal is to get new racers interested in the sport and if they need to spend $1000+ to be competitive then we can say good bye to 4x4 SCT since most who spend that kind of cash would rather just run 1/8 ebuggy and the hand full that do the conversion would dominate every outdoor race and frustrate the average racer out of the class.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

I know people who have two identical 1/8 buggies. When one breaks, it gets sent in to be fixed and they drive the other one. Some people don't want to touch anything but the transmitter. Their loss, but I see the price difference here he's talking about.
Being single and having a good job, I thought I had a lot of disposable income, but damn!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RossNZ

Cheers.
I pre-ordered mine when they first came out and I've raced every weekend since and only took off the cover and cleaned it up twice since.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:13 AM
Tech Adept

Do anyone knows what sizes are DEEZ NUTZ that holds the front clicker and the stock slipper? The manual says M3, but I don't know what tool kit to buy that would fit DEEZ NUTZ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.