Search
Like Tree832Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default red dot motors

Doc Mertes and RED Dot motors don't need defending, but throwing accusations around is just plain wrong. Doc is a stand up guy and goes out of his way to play by the rules. RED Dot motors is his way of offering motor parity within the rules (and make a little money, although I'm not sure if it's worth it for the money he makes from RED Dot).

Before Red Dot motors, there would always be a fast car at tcs silver can class races that everybody thought was cheating (usually in mini.) Hell I thought it myself. When 2 mini's enter the straight 15 feet apart, and by the end of the straight they are even, one is obviously much faster than the other. Doc has simply leveled the field.

If your point is that you shouldn't have to buy a $45 silver can motor to keep up, that's something else. I also think that like senior spec, (a great idea btw,) mini should be a hand out motor class. Another variation is brushless, but then you are talking about $200 vs $45.

Get your facts straight before you attack someone.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Three
If parity is what is wanted with silver can racing Tamiya should provide motors like they did at the Nationals last year. Install provided motor at tech before race, remove motor after race (also at tech).
Someone will be unhappy no matter what the rules are.
On a local level, that would be a nightmare especially for tech. I don't see that working on a too well. Which is why having a RPM limit works. If there is a question by race officials, the motor is pulled, dynoed and if you are over that run is DQed. Simple, yet does not rob all the resources of Tech.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Three
Yeah, what 414MPH said.
And let me clue you in on one fact A-Ko "racin' is racin'". We just do it faster in Memphis. We don't believe in changing the rules.
I'm sure all the TCS races that run motor limits were/will be fun (and yes Scotty ran a fantastic race). But.......... racing is about going as fast as you can within the rules (of which there are NO RPM limits except at Tamiya's home track) and puttin' that power to the ground.
Rules... set 'em and don't forget them!!!!!!!
nothin like a properly broken in anything....

OH, MY PANCREAS!

As for Marty .. I think hes deaf cause he never moved at the start of either of the F1 races..... ZZZ sleepin at the wheel.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
As for Marty .. I think hes deaf cause he never moved at the start of either of the F1 races..... ZZZ sleepin at the wheel.
I have had a heated discussion with my engineers. The traction control program had a small glitch and was malfunctioning at launch for the mains. Dump the clutch and ZZZ..zero launch...

I realy need to thank John and Gary for their great skill in avoiding my stalled F-1 on the starts.

It was a pleasure to race in the F-1 A mains at Trackside. The competition and close open wheel racing was second to none. F-1 was clearly the high level of competition it had been in the past. This is going to be an awesum TCS year.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Adept

Let me get this now:

FREE RACING

Check

A company that still supports a series all these years when others have left

Check

And this is how we thank them
( TAMIYA and The hobby stores that promote them ).

This is real smart for the ones involved in this bickering. There are alot of people watching this, and this is what we want people to think TCS is all about.

This is a free event ( NO ROAR spec box to pass inspection, NO generic bodies that stickers determine what it is you are driving, NO yearly fees, NO entry FEES, and i think no paid drivers )

If you want to pay X dollars for a motor, buy foam tires that are not Tamiya and trim them to the point that you cannot tell they are legal, and Trim your body above the legal lines go ahead. if it is really that important so you can win that all mighty metal, GOOD FOR YOU.

But when the Hobby Store or Tamiya get tired of the B.S. and then one day they say Hey lets stop supporting TCS because this isn't helping the sport but hurting it.

Then what?
It is about having fun, RIGHT?

Enjoy the series and be glad there is one this year, and lets hope there will be one next year. Fred, TAMIYA, and all the Hobby Stores that are involved are working with limited funds (no entry fees remember) and paying employees on race day to help with the race ( thats not free neither) and this is the thankyou they get.
The above post here are not praising them for the time that they put in.Step back from the keyboard a second and do that

Just my .02
Old 04-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 414MPH
I have had a heated discussion with my engineers. The traction control program had a small glitch and was malfunctioning at launch for the mains. Dump the clutch and ZZZ..zero launch...

I realy need to thank John and Gary for their great skill in avoiding my stalled F-1 on the starts.

It was a pleasure to race in the F-1 A mains at Trackside. The competition and close open wheel racing was second to none. F-1 was clearly the high level of competition it had been in the past. This is going to be an awesum TCS year.
:ro lleyes:

Last edited by John St.Amant; 04-06-2009 at 05:09 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OH, MY PANCREAS!

Was that why you were zzz in the pitz? Resting your pancreas from a harrowing evasive maneuver?
Old 04-06-2009, 05:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Was that why you were zzz in the pitz? Resting your pancreas from a harrowing evasive maneuver?
Nah.. the meds I took for my migrane kept me up all night and I was just too friggin wipped out to race. I know , go figure right ? Better to just be out than in the way. Oh and ty btw Gary.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by C5R01
Let me get this now:

FREE RACING

Check

Check

This is real smart for the ones involved in this bickering. There are alot of people watching this, and this is what we want people to think TCS is all about.

This is a free event ( NO ROAR spec box to pass inspection, NO generic bodies that stickers determine what it is you are driving, NO yearly fees, NO entry FEES, and i think no paid drivers )

If you want to pay X dollars for a motor, buy foam tires that are not Tamiya and trim them to the point that you cannot tell they are legal, and Trim your body above the legal lines go ahead. if it is really that important so you can win that all mighty metal, GOOD FOR YOU.

But when the Hobby Store or Tamiya get tired of the B.S. and then one day they say Hey lets stop supporting TCS because this isn't helping the sport but hurting it.

Then what?
It is about having fun, RIGHT?

Enjoy the series and be glad there is one this year, and lets hope there will be one next year. Fred, TAMIYA, and all the Hobby Stores that are involved are working with limited funds (no entry fees remember) and paying employees on race day to help with the race ( thats not free neither) and this is the thankyou they get.
The above post here are not praising them for the time that they put in.Step back from the keyboard a second and do that

Just my .02
I agree whole heartedly Chris. But the simple matter of fact is it is nothing but a marketing ploy. Change the rules and sell more stuff. Pretty clever aint it? Love it for what it is. A great play date with all your Tamiya friends.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I agree whole heartedly Chris. But the simple matter of fact is it is nothing but a marketing ploy. Change the rules and sell more stuff. Pretty clever aint it? Love it for what it is. A great play date with all your Tamiya friends.
Gee, imagine that, an R/C company trying to sell their products through a race series, wow what a concept.
With all the bitchin' I think people have failed to realize that the rules have been pretty much the same for a long time. The only stuff that has changed is the motor and battery rules. The only reason for this is that some of us asked for it, and Tamiya trying to keep up with the times and technology obliged us. I think what they did with GT2 was awsome, its no longer just another touring car class, and it showcases a great chassis that is underappreciated.

By the way, shame on you Jeff for all the bulls%*t spewing out of your mouth, or from your keyboard. Besides Don and Lee Passehl, Doc Mertes is probably the most above board guy in the paddok, and a great ambassador for TCS. To suggest that he would knowingly sell something that was illegal is way uncool. And unless you have hard proof of what you're accusing him of , I would keep your piehole clamped, or you're not gonna be very popular at the races.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Doc is the BEST!
He makes a great motor (mine is in its second year of competitive racing). I could never make a silver can work, ruined a bunch of motors trying, so it is less expensive for me to use a RED DOT.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C5R01
Let me get this now:

FREE RACING
Check

Check

C5R01, I really have to agree with what your saying. You have hit the nail on the head.

For you other three my image attached is all I can think of. All of you that complain this is what you are. You have forgotten the whole point of what the TCS series is all about. I had the worst weekend in my racing ever, but only a few people would of known. You don't see me coming on here complaining of what happened and what ever else.

Fred, Tamiya and who ever else involved, I really appreciate the great series and I look forward to next year. This is the first race my fiancee started in and she really enjoys the series as well. Keep up the good work and great product selection.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 04-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

I wasn't complaining , It was meerely an observation.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Three,

One of the best race promoters in the RC racing world, if not THE BEST (Scotty!) went with the 13,500 rpm limit. Not too hard to do. Memphis is a great race but there seems to be support for a $45 motor that is ordered probably in bulk, that is a non-540J Tamiya spec and if your lucky you will even get a box to make it appear to be a 53689 Tamiya motor!

If it was a TRUE 53689 540J motor it would easily be under 13,500 limit, with no scrambling for boxes or complaints to get a "de-tuned" version.
Jeff, for the record I also ran a Red Dot motor in F1. You know how it got tuned? Doc told me to bring him a fresh, non broken in motor, which I did, I handed it to him, he tuned it at the track. Could I have done it myself? Absolutely. Did I want to take the time and effort when I could pay someone else to do it? Hell no. People's time is worth something. For some of them it's $45. For others the return on investment isn't there or they would rather do it themselves. THAT is what the Red Dot stuff is all about, providing people a competitive motor without wasting time or money. What money would they waste? How about the guys going out and buying 3, 4, 5 or more motors just to try to find that one magic bullet. Why do you think there were guys like me pissed off when the Spec Type J rule came out? Its because I still have old 4-hole Mabuchi's that only get brought out at certain times of the year. And before you question their legality, 2 out of the 3 remaining 4-holes I have still have the numbers on them from tech at the Nats. I really thought I knew you better than to throw wild accusations like this around. I guess I didn't and that is truly disappointing.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Without Doc Mertes, I would not be racing TCS today!!!! And its got nothing to do with motors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.