Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree829Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 04-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Originally Posted by MD
I would like to see Tamiya give Senior Spec a chance at other races.
Doc and I will be taking Senior spec on the road , we will be running Senior spec at Memphis. It will be an exhibition class . If you want to run ,check in on the regional Memphis TCS 2009 thread. We can only take 20 racers.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Senior Spec class Rules for Tamiya TCS :

1) All cars are Tamiya TT-01 or TT-01E.

2) Hop-up's allow:

a. Any Ball bearings

b.Tamiya shocks and springs only (we like Tamiya #50746)

c. Turnbuckle steering tie-rods (Tamiya part #53662)

d. aluminum drive shaft (Tamiya part #53620 or #54026).

3) Gearing will be FIXED- kit 19t pinion and 61t spur

4)Tires: Racing Radials #50419, racing slicks #50454 or semi slicks #50810
These are the tires that come in the kit, any insert are okay to run.
Also Tamiya 26mm wheels ,also the wheel that come with the
kits,any offset is okay

5) Tamiya 1/10 scale touring car bodies, coupes or sedans.

6) Batteries are all 7.2(7.4 lipo) volts. They can be 6-cell- nicads or 6-cell nimhs,and Lipo's (We recommend Team Orion carbon edition 2400, 3200, 3400 and 3800)Other Lipo's of 4000mah 25c or lower are allowed ,but must fit and mount under the stock battery hold down mount . No mods to chassis or battery hold down are allowed. Lipo's charged voltage of 8.44 or less.

7) Your choice of electronics.

8) No weight minimum, but don’t lighten the car chassis or parts because that’s not allowed. Feel free to add weight in order to balance the car if you’re going to use a lipo pack.

9) Qualifying heats will be 6 minutes long. All Mains will be 8 minutes

10) Here’s the best part: motors will be Blind Draw Red Dot 15K’s and they are provided for the race free of charge. All motors are certified to be within 1% of each other and have plenty of power. Pull one out of the box for your race and return it at the end of the evening. Also feel free to run clip-on heat sinks( the tamiya one is #53664) . Remember that the motor must be returned at the end of the evening. If you leave with a spec motor you’ll owe us a $45.00 replacement fee.

Remember if you guys want to run this as an exhibition, we have 20 motors.

Last edited by Ray k; 04-05-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:47 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I have a couple of questions. When you're talking about Tamiya 26mm wheels, that's any Tamiya 26mm correct? I only asked that obvious question because I have some 26mm Tamiya wheels that I picked up at a hobby shop sale. I think they're discontinued. Also, since it's an exhibition class, it doesn't currently appear on the registration form. Does that mean that it's first come first serve at the race? I am going to try to make the Memphis race and it would be great to run this class. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MD
I have a couple of questions. When you're talking about Tamiya 26mm wheels, that's any Tamiya 26mm correct? I only asked that obvious question because I have some 26mm Tamiya wheels that I picked up at a hobby shop sale. I think they're discontinued. Also, since it's an exhibition class, it doesn't currently appear on the registration form. Does that mean that it's first come first serve at the race? I am going to try to make the Memphis race and it would be great to run this class. Thanks.
Since we run 26mm kit tires, they work best with 26mm tamiya wheels .Any style ,any offset and any brand insert.

Sid (kidsid99)would like people to check in on the North American regional ,MSRA Memphis, 2009 TCS thread and not on the tamiya signup form.

Last edited by Ray k; 04-05-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:02 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Ray K - I see in your rules that you mention that you prefer #50746 shocks. How are they different than the ones listed as a hop up for the TT01, #53619? I know #50746 come in pairs, while #53619 is a set of four shocks. Why do you like them? Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MD
Ray K - I see in your rules that you mention that you prefer #50746 shocks. How are they different than the ones listed as a hop up for the TT01, #53619? I know #50746 come in pairs, while #53619 is a set of four shocks. Why do you like them? Thanks again.

The car works best with the super mini shocks(50746), just like the ones we use on the mini cooper. The set of four (53619) are taller then the super mini's, with these you can't get you ride height below 6 or 7mm.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
Just a heads up...for those planning on racing in the Omaha TCS race. They will have a 13500 rpm @ 5v rule.
Originally Posted by Three
Memphis T.C.S. registrationform now on-line:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/entry_143.php

No RPM limits, just good old racin' southern style. Come one, come all !!!!!

C ya'll May 3rd....... Wahoo !!!!!!!
Three,

One of the best race promoters in the RC racing world, if not THE BEST (Scotty!) went with the 13,500 rpm limit. Not too hard to do. Memphis is a great race but there seems to be support for a $45 motor that is ordered probably in bulk, that is a non-540J Tamiya spec and if your lucky you will even get a box to make it appear to be a 53689 Tamiya motor!

If it was a TRUE 53689 540J motor it would easily be under 13,500 limit, with no scrambling for boxes or complaints to get a "de-tuned" version.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Three,

One of the best race promoters in the RC racing world, if not THE BEST (Scotty!) went with the 13,500 rpm limit. Not too hard to do. Memphis is a great race but there seems to be support for a $45 motor that is ordered probably in bulk, that is a non-540J Tamiya spec and if your lucky you will even get a box to make it appear to be a 53689 Tamiya motor!

If it was a TRUE 53689 540J motor it would easily be under 13,500 limit, with no scrambling for boxes or complaints to get a "de-tuned" version.
Jeff,

Now there you go again talking about stuff you do not know....

The $45 540J motor you are flaming IS a Tamiya 540J motor as specified in the 2009 TCS Rules, in it's original box. No switch-a-roos. Just tuned to get out all the performance that is dormant inside.

Are you just bitter because someone has better tuning skills than you?

Are you bitter because someone has decided to provide a way for the masses to possess a GREAT 540J motor without having to buy several to find a good one to start to tune on?

Are you just bitter because you can't keep up anymore?

well, GET OVER IT! and quit your B'itching.

Listen to what your grandmother told you many years ago,
"If you don't have somehting nice to say, don't say anything".

and just remember one thing....
RED DOT MOTORS
when too much power feels...just about right!
Old 04-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 414MPH
Jeff,

The $45 540J motor you are flaming IS a Tamiya 540J motor as specified in the 2009 TCS Rules, in it's original box. No switch-a-roos. Just tuned to get out all the performance that is dormant inside.

Are you bitter because someone has decided to provide a way for the masses to possess a GREAT 540J motor without having to buy several to find a good one to start to tune on?

RED DOT MOTORS
Hey man! WTF are you anyways ? Are you talking agout something you know about yet? He makes a point . And anyone with some time and the right com drops can make a brand new motor go like stink if you want to. Id rather have one draw amps but to do that you need rpm's. 13,500 was too low for my motor and I bought a $45 motor to replace it. Now all I want to do is help out Jeff till he leaves you in the dust. Happy motoring!!!
Old 04-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, what 414MPH said.
And let me clue you in on one fact A-Ko "racin' is racin'". We just do it faster in Memphis. We don't believe in changing the rules.
I'm sure all the TCS races that run motor limits were/will be fun (and yes Scotty ran a fantastic race). But.......... racing is about going as fast as you can within the rules (of which there are NO RPM limits except at Tamiya's home track) and puttin' that power to the ground.
Rules... set 'em and don't forget them!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 414MPH
Jeff,

RED DOT MOTORS
Newsflash (not really)... This has been a Red Dot paid advertisement....

You can believe whatever you want Martay, since my free speech effects your sponsorship, you can create whatever smug comment you want about what I do. I am a believer that a RED DOT is not a 53689 540J motor. It has nothing to do with how I finish, tune motors or race. It has everything to do with motor parity that Tamiya is trying to create!

How do you know my Grandmother and what she has said?
Stop being a moron.
YOU Listen to your own advise and get over it!
Old 04-05-2009, 05:10 PM
MD
Tech Champion

It's amazing that this site is a forum for discussion and exchange of ideas, and I have observed that people express an idea and are attacked, or they are told to quit your bitchin. Those kind of reactions do nothing to promote the series. I guess if people think it's a big deal to find out how to make a silver can go fast that's ok. If you want an unlimited, mod silver can class it should be separate. If low budget guys want an rpm limit what's wrong with that. I admire the guys who can get a silver can to over perform, but I also admired the drivers I watched on LiveRC at Trackside who raced with rpm limits and had great skills and set ups.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

If parity is what is wanted with silver can racing Tamiya should provide motors like they did at the Nationals last year. Install provided motor at tech before race, remove motor after race (also at tech).
Someone will be unhappy no matter what the rules are.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Stop being a moron.
YOU Listen to your own advise and get over it!
Resorting to name calling?
nuff said......
Great advice!
Old 04-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Jeff, your facts are simply....wrong...and I'm disappointed in you. I don't know who is telling you this stuff, but you apparently trust them. However, they are simply not telling you the truth.

Here's True Fact #1: every Red Dot motor starts out as a brandy new Tamiya #53689 Johnson 540J. The cans are not opened & there is no flim-flammery, just plain old hard work and motor tuning. Each motor is individually tuned and massaged until it is the best it can be.

True Fact #2: unless the racing venue has an RPM limit, they are fully and completely legal for TCS racing. They are the real deal, and like all other #53689 motors, they come in a box. That's how I buy them and they ship nicely to customers that way.

True Fact #3: NO Red Dot motor has EVER been disqualified from any event, including TCS events- yes, even including Trackside- for any reason whatsoever. I believe in playing by the rules, and if the rules include an RPM limit, any of my motors that are sold for an event after the limit is announced comply with the restriction.

True Fact #4: The only scrambling that was done before Trackside was by me. That was so I could get enough motors ready that met the 13.5K RPM limit for people to whom I had promised a motor. I fulfilled EVERY promise, even though it meant two pretty sleepless nights to get them done. It would have been easier to leave those folks hanging and make excuses, but that's just the way I roll.

Jeff, I know we don't see eye to eye on every subject, and this motor RPM limit thing is a particular issue for you. That's fine and I respect your opinions. BUT. Before you go off making statements about me or my work or my motors that are simply untrue (and, frankly, personally hurtful to me), take a minute to give me a shout at [email protected]. Always happy to discuss stuff with you, and that e-mail box gets checked several times a day.

Hope to see you in Memphis!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.