Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree829Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 04-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

SO . . . . . How about them Packers ? BTW have you guys checked out the M05 and the F104 Tamiya has just released it, I mean they showed it to the public now I want to know when it comes out. Check it out

http://www.rc-japan.de/article.php?i...&%3CIMG%20SRC=
Old 04-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How much help do you need buddy ?
Old 04-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
SO . . . . . How about them Packers ? BTW have you guys checked out the M05 and the F104 Tamiya has just released it, I mean they showed it to the public now I want to know when it comes out. Check it out

OH Yeah I think the F104 has a RED DOT in it
Old 04-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Doc
Tech Adept

Here's my Doc Mertes "makes you feel good" story:

TCS Aliso regional 2006, I qualied 9th in GT3 against a very competitive SoCal field on their home turf and I was pretty down due to an absense of horsepower. Doug lent me a "bottom-dweller" silver can from the depths of his tool box, and I ended up winning with it. IIRC, that may have been a 4-hole, but it sure were fast!
Old 04-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot

that f104 looks like something lyman would make the m05 is like the m01 or mo2 ?
Old 04-06-2009, 04:09 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ray k
Without Doc Mertes, I would not be racing TCS today!!!! And its got nothing to do with motors.
well if it hits the fan i have a mod buggy up here if you need another 1 lol

R
Old 04-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Hey R, Thanks . What you doing over here in Tamiyatown!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
By the way, shame on you Jeff for all the bulls%*t spewing out of your mouth, or from your keyboard. Besides Don and Lee Passehl, Doc Mertes is probably the most above board guy in the paddok, and a great ambassador for TCS. To suggest that he would knowingly sell something that was illegal is way uncool. And unless you have hard proof of what you're accusing him of , I would keep your piehole clamped, or you're not gonna be very popular at the races.
1) I make a statement about a motor not being legal (I stand behind that statement).
2) I make a comment about Memphis not being 13,500 when others are (I stand behind that statement)

So then the character assassins come out AND the typical baby pictures saying that I am not a Tamiya loyalist. Ohhhh I feel soooo embarassed, what a joke! My 1st Tamiya race was 1995, my first and only sedan type ever owned was Tamiya and I have continued to support Tamiya parts and the series to this day. Even in the dark TA02 and TA03 years, they were dark againt other companies at that time, on a local level. I have no shelf queens, just cars that have raced. I fail to understand how my statement of saying a motor is illegal, gives Tamiya a black eye let along is a Tamiya Slam?

I am not the one that imposed a 1 motor rule for the series, Tamiya did. I am not the one who created a RPM limit, Tamiya/Trackside/Omaha did. If anything uttered out of my mouth was anti-Tamiya, then you better get glasses for reading.

I am supporting the rules that Tamiya has created. A few of them for this year had surprises that I did not like. Guess what, I chose another class. Did I bitch and moan and complain how unfair it was, if I did, it wasn't and would not be here. My latest complaints over the years was about rules and schedule being posted early.

Now back to:

#1. This is not a character assassination against Doc and his years of motor building. I don't think his Red Dot motors are legal, plain and simple. It has nothing to do with the type of motor that Doc makes and everything to do about it being right for the series. If Tamiya Fred were to randomly buy a Red Dot from a hobbyshop and spec it to a 53689, then I would fall in line.

#2 Tracks should fall inline to a 13,500 random RPM check. I did buy a dyno for $35 for real portable numbers. The Tamiya race official could randomly spot check if race tech is too busy to do this. If Tamiya cannot attend, then hopefully tracks can cover it. If guys want to go fast, might I suggest a BL class.

BPShadow:
As far as my proof, comparisons were made by people I know, trust and are better motor men than me. I don't really give a _ _ _ _ about being popular. I have tons of great friends inside and outside this hobby. If you don't like my comments, tough, I have done nothing wrong and I know who my true friends are!

Fred has done a great job with the series, even Eric Sands was fine, although Fred took it to a better level. Sure it is a free race, sure not everybody will agree on the rules. How many of you would pay to race the series? If Tamiya needed entry fees to keep it going, I would be happy to oblige! Would it ruin the series, nope, just makes it self supporting. . .
Old 04-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Jeff,

For the record, I too think Tamiya should place a 13,500 rpm limit on all 540J's used in TCS classes.

I just don't understand why you think the motors Doc makes available to the masses are not TCS legal.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well for one I think what Jeff said was greatly misunderstood.
I myself have an illegal Red Dot but only because it turn about 14.5k.
Not that any tampering was done to it. Its just a nicely broken in motor.
Anywhere else ? Memphis maybe ok. but ..... no shame in that at all.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

A-Ko - don't bust a blood vessel man, they are only toy cars.
Check with Tamiya, they let they hosting track set any motor limits. Memphis has decided not to put any limits on the silver cans. It is our decision. Other tracks also have the right to limit or not limit RPMs.
None of us are cheaters, we go by the rules. We support Tamiya and their decisions 100%.
Let it go. Maybe Tamiya will impose a limit on silver cans for the 2010 series, but as of now you do not have to use a "13,500" motor if you race in Memphis. You are very welcome to come race with us at any time. We only do this for fun.
Hey everybody Lets Race !!!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
1)
#1. This is not a character assassination against Doc and his years of motor building. I don't think his Red Dot motors are legal, plain and simple. It has nothing to do with the type of motor that Doc makes and everything to do about it being right for the series. If Tamiya Fred were to randomly buy a Red Dot from a hobbyshop and spec it to a 53689, then I would fall in line.

BPShadow:
As far as my proof, comparisons were made by people I know, trust and are better motor men than me. I don't really give a _ _ _ _ about being popular. I have tons of great friends inside and outside this hobby. If you don't like my comments, tough, I have done nothing wrong and I know who my true friends are!
How could saying that the motors that Doc sells are illegal be anything but a character assassination ?
I never had any problem with you until these unfounded statements came out of you.
And by unfounded, I mean you have presented no proof to legitimize your statement, saying " i know a guy who has a friend with a dyno who says so" isnt proof, in a court of law that would be considered hearsay.
What you think is right for the series, and what is within the rules are two totally different issues.
If Doc buys motors in bulk that are the right part number, and does not physically alter any component of said motors, how are they illegal?
Tuning a motor by breaking it in properly and using special chemicalsto do so is not illegal, there is nothing in the rules that disallows that.
I dont like the RPM limits, I think they create more problems than they solve
Old 04-08-2009, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sigh.

Jeff, I just don't have the heart to participate in this discussion or- once again- bring facts and logic to the table.

Clearly, Red Dot motors have been examined by TCS tech officials (as well as tech guys at non-TCS events) all over the world (yes, all over the WORLD), time after time after race after race. They look at them very closely- much more closely than your motors, Jeff- because they're so fast. These people are motor experts- after all, it's their product.

Despite all of those examinations, at all of those events, in all of those countries, NO Red Dot motor has EVER been DQ'd at ANY event, TCS or otherwise. One would logically think that if the motor was illegal, one of those many tech people would have said so.

As I've said before -and those who know me at all know it's true- I play by the rules. Red Dot motors are fully legal and comply with all Tamiya TCS regulations.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:18 AM
Doc
Tech Adept

Maybe all the posters here who don't like the rules as set by Tamiya should start their own Tamiya race so that they can then run said race the way they want to. Each race director has discretion within the rules on RPM limits.

Some motors will be faster than others. The faster ones just can't be run at the restrictor plate tracks as determined by each individual Race Director -- per Tamiya's rules. It has been - and always will be - useless to argue about it.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Doc
Maybe all the posters here who don't like the rules as set by Tamiya should start their own Tamiya race so that they can then run said race the way they want to. Each race director has discretion within the rules on RPM limits.

Some motors will be faster than others. The faster ones just can't be run at the restrictor plate tracks as determined by each individual Race Director -- per Tamiya's rules. It has been - and always will be - useless to argue about it.
I dont have a problem with any of the Tamiya rules, even the RPM limit, I dont think it is right to allow it change for different venues. I said it before, just make the rule 13500 or whatever works across the board and be done with it. I would much prefer to run brushless anyways, one motor in the car and nothing to carry to support it. Whatever the rules are, I will play to them, I always have.This is still toy cars we are talking about, but when you start messing with someones honor, to me it no longer is about toy cars.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.