Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree829Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 04-17-2006, 08:04 AM
Doc
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by minidriver
I'm thinking ahead for Nationals in August, and have the choice of flying into LAX or San Diego. I know that San Diego is about 25 miles farther from Aliso Viejo than LAX, but other than that, any reason why not to use San Diego? Thought it would be a change, and also wanted to go see the USS Midway aircraft carrier docked in San Diego.

Dave: SAN used to be a good backup option for getting into SoCal from MKE....It seems now with the growth of the county that it can be surprisingly more expensive than LAX or SNA.....That said, occasionally I've occasionally found some deals on NWA, YX, and CO....

....And CV-41 is famous old boat with a ton history behind her.....In 1986, I was deployed aboard RANGER and we put into Yokosuka,Japan for a quick refit. While we were waiting, my airwing underwent carrier quals on Midway, and I got eight traps aboard her-- 4 during the day, and 4 at night. MIDWAY class carriers were smaller and lighter and thus rock and roll more in the swells....that was no picnic, baby---the ol' pucker-meter was pegged on that evolution!!!!!

bruce
Old 04-17-2006, 09:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Doc
Dave: SAN used to be a good backup option for getting into SoCal from MKE....It seems now with the growth of the county that it can be surprisingly more expensive than LAX or SNA.....That said, occasionally I've occasionally found some deals on NWA, YX, and CO....

....And CV-41 is famous old boat with a ton history behind her.....In 1986, I was deployed aboard RANGER and we put into Yokosuka,Japan for a quick refit. While we were waiting, my airwing underwent carrier quals on Midway, and I got eight traps aboard her-- 4 during the day, and 4 at night. MIDWAY class carriers were smaller and lighter and thus rock and roll more in the swells....that was no picnic, baby---the ol' pucker-meter was pegged on that evolution!!!!!

bruce
I will be using frequent flyer (buyer) miles on Midwest, so price of airfaire is a non issue. Midwest to SAN is all through Kansas City, but at least most of the flights are "signature service" leather and two across seating.

I did a quick search for a car rental, and found that it was about $20 more for a week long rental over the LAX cost. As long as the drive from SAN is not a big trouble spot (and driving to LAX is not bad as long as you time it right) Nathan & I may use SAN this year. I thought Nathan (and yes I) would get a kick out of doing the carrier tour. I have only seen one carrier in real life (don't remember which one, it was about 20 years ago and docked in Charleston SC. It was a fun tour, and the thing that I remember most is pulling into the parking lot next to the dock and saying holy sh** that is one big sucker.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Booked my tickets for the Nats last weekend, but I'll be flying into Orange Co. Nothing like a 10 minute drive from the airport to my friend's house. Now I just have to hold my breath while the Delta pilots sort things out.

I'll also be heading out that way for the regional race in July. Can anyone tell me how the pit arrangements are for that race that's different from how they did things at the Nats last year? Can you still get power? Can you still get a table/chairs? Or is it bring your own at the regional race?
Old 04-18-2006, 12:59 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
Booked my tickets for the Nats last weekend, but I'll be flying into Orange Co. Nothing like a 10 minute drive from the airport to my friend's house. Now I just have to hold my breath while the Delta pilots sort things out.

I'll also be heading out that way for the regional race in July. Can anyone tell me how the pit arrangements are for that race that's different from how they did things at the Nats last year? Can you still get power? Can you still get a table/chairs? Or is it bring your own at the regional race?
they'll have tables and power for everyone at the regionals. the locals usually bring their "quiet" generators... just in case.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Bill, they set it up just like the Nats. Saturday practice is much less hectic than the Friday before Nats qualifying, which is nice.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:43 AM
Tech Master

Sounds great. I don't fly in until Saturday, so I'll be dropping the family off and heading to the track some time after lunch. Save me some pit space!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Tech Initiate

hay mr hickmeister what race are you going to next
Old 04-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Last I heard, the Hickman R/C Hauler and motorcoach were heading to Memphis for some BBQ and Beale Street. In preparation, the Hickman fan club roadies will be constructing the Hickman Memorial Staging Area out of Elvis souvenirs.

So what will it be, Doc? GT2 or GT3? What about Steve?

Counting the days.......
Old 04-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Saturday!! Memphis!! Saturday!! Memphis!!
Old 04-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Well said, Doc!

Well, at least it's better than "bump", which was my next step!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Tech Elite

Bill-
Talked to Tim J today and it turns out he's not coming to Memphis this weekend.

Katzer thinks we may be able to share his table, but I need something to sit on. Can you toss an extra chair in the back for me? We should be fine charging off of our rental car batteries but will need to be able to plug into someone's gennie for the soldering iron...help!!!

Later
Doc
Old 04-27-2006, 04:22 AM
Tech Master

I'm sure I can find an extra chair, and we should have plenty of juice between the generators. I think you're covered.

TJ and Rick are both unavailable, as are several other regulars from down here. It's going to be a lighter crew from RC3 this year, but I think the northern guys will help make up the difference. Should be a good one, if only the rain will stay away!
Old 05-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the table and chair, Bill. Sunburn turned out worse than I thought but I'll live through it. Should have taken you up on the offer to sit under the EZ-Up. As always, a great time in Memphis and nice to see the gang. Now I've gotta wait until mid-July for Laurel
Later
Doc
Old 05-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

Happy to help, Doc. Sorry about the sunburn.

Great race MSRA! I don't know what it is about Memphis, but the weathermen always do their best to chase away the racers, then we get WONDERFUL racing weather. I almost fell for it this year myself.

Now I've got 2 months to find some titanium turnbuckles for my MSX so I won't repeat my consecutive DNFs in Aliso!
Old 05-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

uh- who won and stuff?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.