Search
Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 04:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
It'll be good to see you on asphalt again and just in time, next race is at Tamiya, another of your homes.
I really like Sean and TQ raceway but the last few times out there I've had miserable times with traction rolling and breaking my stuff, F1 and VTA and the things take forever to get settled back down again. I get rid of the snap roll and the car is a pig so it's just not fun for me.
I think carpet gives me turrets syndrome, I'm cussing involuntarily all day long and it's gotta be annoying to the other drivers.
All you have to do is cough up a couple of fur balls and everything will be okay. The F104 I just built up (out of spare parts Wednesday night) for the Camarillo race is what I will start using at Tamiya to decide if I want to go F1 or GT-2 at Nationals. Since I did not go overseas this summer, I hope to make the Tamiya July UF1 race as another test day. I have only been to Tamiya twice since last years Nats (the Saturday and Sunday for the April TCS race) so it is not too much home for me anymore.

Panda
Old 06-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by David J.
I can understand that some of you are frustrated with the TRF101 not being legal for the remainder of the 2013 TCS season. So I’ll try to explain a few things in hopes of adding perspective to a decision that was not made lightly. The majority of new chassis releases such as the F104 X1, V2 etc. tend to be gradual evolutions. In addition, existing owners can “upgrade/convert” their chassis (or purchase the new model if they chose) while remaining compliant to the TCS regulations. However, sometimes there are new products that aren’t as easy to integrate for one reason or another and the TRF101 is one of those cases. At a glance, the TRF101 may look relatively similar to the F104 line. However, it features adjustments & geometry that could make its performance beyond the capability of the F104 chassis. If it has such and advantage, drivers with the F104 would have to by the TRF101 in order to be competitive. No, I don’t believe that most people serious about TCS are going to buy a new car for the finals anyway.

To highlight some of the advantages of the TRF101, the front end may look simpler than it really is. It features a “flex” upper arm system that provides camber change like the F104 front suspension, while being much more solid thus more stable than the F104. This paired with the conventional coil spring, should provide and very versatile range of rate/movement which can be adjusted via the upper arm screw. It also has much more caster angle (about 8 deg) which is a key geometry feature and something the F104 is in need of but not capable of. Moving to the rear, the side link ratios options allow for a significant increase in range/tuning. This is another area that the F104 is limited. In my opinion, the links are too far inboard on the V2 which not only reduces the resolution of the side springs but it also amplifies free play and fragility. The differential is also much better on the TRF101. It features twice the number of diff balls which reduces the assembly tension by half, resulting in a much more consistent and longer lasting differential. That’s just the way in comes out of the box. Then there’s the hop-ups (that won’t be compatible with the F104) coming. No, we can’t allow the use of components to be swapped from the TRF101 to the F104. “Hybrids” are not allowed in TCS and would create a far bigger can of worms.

Furthermore, “TRF” cars are prone to “high rates of evolution”. This means frequent new variants in a short period of time. For example, we’re on our 5th version of the TRF417 in about 18 months VS our 2nd version of the TA05 in about 6 years. Should the use of TRF cars be allowed in GT-2 and GT-3? I believe this would hurt these classes long term. Unfortunately, it’s not practical to create a separate F1 class at this time. As the race director, I have to consider all factors and the long term effects on the class. Is it counterintuitive in terms of sales to not allow the TRF101? Probably, I’m sure allowing the car would generate sales….short term. However, I believe that what’s best for the participants is what’s best for the series and I think overall sales will reflect that….long term.

In light of these factors, this late in the season (8 out of 11 regional’s complete), I don’t believe it’s in the best interest of the participants and the F1 class as a whole, to allow the use of the TRF101 chassis until a further review can be made. I can only offer my apologies for any frustration this decision has made to our customers. For this, I sincerely apologize.
I hear that Fred had a 101 out at the Tamiya Track on Saturday?
Fred can you give us all a summary of the shakedown run?
I am sure everybody is interested?
Thx,
Steve
Old 07-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hickmeister
I hear that Fred had a 101 out at the Tamiya Track on Saturday?
Fred can you give us all a summary of the shakedown run?
I am sure everybody is interested?
Thx,
Steve
http://www.rctech.net/forum/12307330-post351.html
Old 07-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

F2012 front wing drags. And TCS rule says no mix and match among diffent body types. So is everyone favoring f60 or mclaren body over f2012 for TCS?
Old 07-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Tech Adept

Hello TCS Racers. The 2013 TCS Finals information is now available on our web site! To make it easier for you, here's the link: http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/tcs.php?article-id=554

Be sure to check out the drivers manual as well. Registration will open July 31st.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by edhchoe
F2012 front wing drags. And TCS rule says no mix and match among diffent body types. So is everyone favoring f60 or mclaren body over f2012 for TCS?
The Ferraro F2012 is a cool body but sadly the front wing is garbage. Both the white and black version. One hit against the boards (or another car) and the front wing bends down and drags causing bad understeer. Unless Tamiya comes out with a better front wing, this body gets hidden in the back of the closet and never taken back out. Considering the hundreds of Tamiya bodies I have painted and customized for racing and concourse and the usual great quality, this is a big disappointment.

Dave / Fred - Anything in the works from Tamiya to make a Ferrari 2012 front wing we can use and race with ?

Panda
Old 07-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Dave - will the Tekin RS Gen 2 (white case) esc be legal for the Nationals ?

Panda
Old 07-04-2013, 10:23 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hi TCS racers - if anyone is planning on running at the Brownies Hobbies @ Jackson RC race Sunday, July 21st, we are planning on having a cash race for non Tamiya classes and offering a club race for Tamiya cars on Saturday, July 20th. details are w/in the thread -- http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...cash-race.html

Look forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-davehi.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-davecar1.jpg  

Last edited by robk; 07-05-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by robk
The exact reason i refuse to shelf my 03s! SLEEPERS
Old 07-06-2013, 06:25 AM
Tech Adept

Default 2013 TCS

[QUOTE=David J.;12311440]Hello TCS Racers. The 2013 TCS Finals information is now available on our web site! To make it easier for you, here's the link: http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/tcs.php?article-id=554

Be sure to check out the drivers manual as well. Registration will open July 31st.[/QUOTE B3'S Premonts ???? Finals
Old 07-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

David,

Hi, how can I, a Canadian, register for a drivers license? The tcs race at galaxy hobby is coming up soon and I would like to register. There is no option for a Canadian address.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Dave - will the Tekin RS Gen 2 (white case) esc be legal for the Nationals ?

Panda
This seasons approved ESC list applies to the 2013 Finals but the Gen 2 will most likely be approved for next season.

Originally Posted by Vacek22
B3'S Premonts ???? Finals
Yes, GT1, GT2 and GT3 must use the B3 Premounts for the up coming regional events and the Finals.

Originally Posted by nolo148
David,

Hi, how can I, a Canadian, register for a drivers license? The tcs race at galaxy hobby is coming up soon and I would like to register. There is no option for a Canadian address.

Thanks
At this time the TCS Race License is only available to US residence, as is participation in the TCS Finals. However, Canadians may participate in regional events as guests. When submitting entry for the regional event at Galaxy Hobby, in the Race License ID field on the online entry form, enter Canada. Spec Novice and GT3 are limited in skill level and it will be up to the regional race director to determine appropriate guest entries in these classes.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default F1 record attempt

On Saturday July 27, Tamiya test track will be hosting a So Cal UF1 event. The UF1 event will not start until mid afternoon, so the track will be open to the regular Saturday practice session.

Just prior to the UF1 race, we will be attempting to break the record for the most F1 cars in a single race. The current record is held by a club in Italy with 32 cars completing the full 10 minute race.

This is a no-charge event.
Previous/Future participation in UF1 events is not required.

If you have an F1 car and would like to participate, the rules are simple:
Any open wheel 2WD F1 car
200mm max width (F103 ok)
Rubber tires
21.5 or silver can

So put get your hanger queens up and running to get your name in the record books on July 27!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by David J.
This seasons approved ESC list applies to the 2013 Finals but the Gen 2 will most likely be approved for next season.
Thanks Dave, will wait until after Finals to put the new esc in then.

Panda

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.