Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
The internet doesn't lie....

I believe that was his NORRCA car
Old 10-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The real question is. What year did Dave win this NSX when he won the XMODS nationals, and who did he beat to do it?

http://image.superstreetonline.com/f...river_Side.jpg
Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by C5R01
The real question is. What year did Dave win this NSX when he won the XMODS nationals, and who did he beat to do it?

Welcome to R/C Jeopardy!!
Tonights Categories:
Locked Diffs
SilverCan Magic
Barry Baker
The Hickman Hauler
The Katzer Follies
Old 10-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C5R01

I remember seeing that - just wish I remembered what year I giggled when I saw Dave win it, and thought 'damn, not a bad ride'

I'll guess 2004 and some dude from texas?? ridenour or something?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? 2013 rules?

Hi David, I am a 15+ year TCS racer and love the events every year. I am now in the great situation of having a family of 3 boys, 2 of which will be racing TCS this year. With that said I as many racers are on a budget and I hope we do not see the RS-540J motor dissapear for brushless systems for the following 3 classes : GT3, MINI, and SPEC NOVICE. I also think with low cost kits like the minis (most of them come with a 540 and speedo) we will keep the door open for new racers at a resonable cost. This is just my 2 cents, but whatever the rules are we will make it happen and be at some races. I also hope to see the tire rule for mini go back to open Tamiya 60D tires and rims (at least on carpet like the GT classes are). Thank you David for taking over and best of luck to Fred in the future.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I believe that was his NORRCA car
It's not because that photo is from the RCCA article on the ROAR nats in the Oct 97 issue...page 121
Old 10-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Paging any Tamiya Carpet Gurus

Does anybody have any experience with Tamiya type-a and type-c tires on carpet?

I've been practicing at our local carpet track during the last couple of weekends in order to prepare for the TWC. Some basic, general testing and setup work have been done but I've come to a fork in the road and don't know which direction to head. I would appreciate your opinion on which tire has more potential with producing fast laps on a low-medium bite carpet track.

On type-a tires, the car rotates nicely but feels a a bit too free during the last third of a corner under power, resulting in harder to drive car. I can get around okay but I really have to pay attention to what the car is doing and react accordingly. Please see the video below that demonstrates how my car looks with these tires:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

With type-c tires, the car is snug and well balanced with a touch of understeer. However, the more noticable screeching noises while cornering gives me the impression that it's not carrying corner speed. That being said, I can adjust to it and put the car anywhere and really get on the throttle. If you listen carefully to the next video, you can hear that lap times are about the same, if not a tenth faster with the type-c tires.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Please keep in mind that I have extremely limited carpet experience...like fewer than five races...and am open to any suggestions that you may have. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by rtypec; 10-10-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Carpet tires

Rodzilla - check your PM.

Panda
Old 10-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

Protoform Volvo
Specifically, the Volvo S40 by Protoform. Ok, I'm impressed.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Since I answered correct, that means you need to take a road trip to TQ Raceway in Chino now to check out the track. This Sundays Summer Series point race will see a good variety of Tamiya product. Lots of F104's in F1, FF03's in FWD class, 416 and 417's in Sportsman and Expert sedan and RM01's in 12th scale.

Panda
I've heard very good things about TQ. I've already talked to Sean about next years TCS schedule. Looking forward to checking it out soon.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mike.a
Hi David, I am a 15+ year TCS racer and love the events every year. I am now in the great situation of having a family of 3 boys, 2 of which will be racing TCS this year. With that said I as many racers are on a budget and I hope we do not see the RS-540J motor dissapear for brushless systems for the following 3 classes : GT3, MINI, and SPEC NOVICE. I also think with low cost kits like the minis (most of them come with a 540 and speedo) we will keep the door open for new racers at a resonable cost. This is just my 2 cents, but whatever the rules are we will make it happen and be at some races. I also hope to see the tire rule for mini go back to open Tamiya 60D tires and rims (at least on carpet like the GT classes are). Thank you David for taking over and best of luck to Fred in the future.
Thank you for the feed back about your concerns and I very much appreciate your paticipation all these years. Cost to the racer is one of the most important aspects I consider then making any decision. I will say that Spec and Mini will for sure remain 540J motors for this very reason. However, GT3 may change to 21.5 Brushless.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rtypec

I've been practicing at our local carpet track during the last couple of weekends in order to prepare for the TWC. Some basic, general testing and setup work have been done but I've come to a fork in the road and don't know which direction to head. I would appreciate your opinion on which tire has more potential with producing fast laps on a low-medium bite carpet track.

On type-a tires, the car rotates nicely but feels a a bit too free during the last third of a corner under power, resulting in harder to drive car. I can get around okay but I really have to pay attention to what the car is doing and react accordingly. Please see the video below that demonstrates how my car looks with these tires:

+ YouTube Video

With type-c tires, the car is snug and well balanced with a touch of understeer. However, the more noticable screeching noises while cornering gives me the impression that it's not carrying corner speed. That being said, I can adjust to it and put the car anywhere and really get on the throttle. If you listen carefully to the next video, you can hear that lap times are about the same, if not a tenth faster with the type-c tires.

+ YouTube Video

Please keep in mind that I have extremely limited carpet experience...like fewer than five races...and am open to any suggestions that you may have. Thanks in advance!
Type C's with green inserts infront , blue in the rear
Rear swaybar for sure, front for tuning.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Not exactly my area, but from what I saw at our regional on carpet, the few guys who were on A's migrated to C's during the weekend. I was also told the C's compared favorably to typical carpet tires like Sweeps or Jacos.

That being said if the laps times are good, don't get too concerned about the squeal, some tires just make noise
Old 10-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

don't get too concerned about the squeal, some tires just make noise
Couldn't quite hear you over the F104 tire squeal

Everyone, thanks for the tips so far. I'll keep on practicing.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Couldn't quite hear you over the F104 tire squeal

Everyone, thanks for the tips so far. I'll keep on practicing.
Take that Silvercan out, and put a 13.5 in it too

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.