Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Mini Spec Tire S Grips (1016)

David J.

I was wondering if there is an official word on the premount S grips for Nats this year. At the regionals at TQ in May we had a conservation about the new softer compound/sidewall tire and that you were thinking about disallowing the older harder compound premount at the Nats. You had also mentioned that you would get a durometer to tell the difference between the two.

I have purchased about 3 sets of the new premounts and had to CA the sidewalls just to prevent the car from traction rolling.

Bensi
Old 07-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just booked air fair and car rental. Now just waiting for on line pre entries to open up!
Old 07-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Tech Rookie

That's the same thing we are wondering for the tcs race in Frederick MD. Since we run sweeps in club races -we now have to adjust to tamiya pre mounts! Fun fun fun
Old 07-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Hoped-up RM-01 and FF-03

Hey guy I have two very clean TCS legal car. The RM-01 only has one 6min. run time on it. It's brand new. If interested check out pg.97 on the SoCal RC Market site.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2013, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

For the TCS race on July 21st in Jackson NJ for the F1 rubber class, can I run the kit tires that came with my F104?
Old 07-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dave Jun- Two questions pertaining to this weekend's race at Jackson:
1) What tires are legal for Mini? Must we use ONLY pre-mount S-Grips, pre-mount hard slicks or pre-mount soft slicks, or can we use ANY S-Grip, Type A or Type B slick mounted to a Tamiya mini wheel as long as it doesn't exceed the permitted diameter? I think there's been some confusion around this the past couple of months based on availablility of pre-mounts. Understood that M-Grip and kit tires are not legal.
2) Must the kit brass standoffs/ball studs be used on the steering arms, or is it OK to use a screw, ball stud and a couple spacers of the same height? Seems to me in past years spacers were OK for regionals but the brass studs had to be used for the Nats, but at my age you forget stuff like this.

Thanks!
Doc
Old 07-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by back9monsta
David J.

I was wondering if there is an official word on the premount S grips for Nats this year. At the regionals at TQ in May we had a conservation about the new softer compound/sidewall tire and that you were thinking about disallowing the older harder compound premount at the Nats. You had also mentioned that you would get a durometer to tell the difference between the two.

I have purchased about 3 sets of the new premounts and had to CA the sidewalls just to prevent the car from traction rolling.

Bensi
We will be proceeding with the standard tire regulations for the remaining events for M-Chassis including the Finals in August. I know the previous batch of control tires were easier to tune the car with but everyone has been able to manage with the current supply. You are allowed to apply CA glue to the sidewalls to stiffen and control edge bite. However, no additional materials may added.

Originally Posted by rccardr
Dave Jun- Two questions pertaining to this weekend's race at Jackson:
1) What tires are legal for Mini? Must we use ONLY pre-mount S-Grips, pre-mount hard slicks or pre-mount soft slicks, or can we use ANY S-Grip, Type A or Type B slick mounted to a Tamiya mini wheel as long as it doesn't exceed the permitted diameter? I think there's been some confusion around this the past couple of months based on availablility of pre-mounts. Understood that M-Grip and kit tires are not legal.
2) Must the kit brass standoffs/ball studs be used on the steering arms, or is it OK to use a screw, ball stud and a couple spacers of the same height? Seems to me in past years spacers were OK for regionals but the brass studs had to be used for the Nats, but at my age you forget stuff like this.

Thanks!
Doc
The control tires have been back in stock for an adequate amount of time. We will be proceeding with the standard tire regulations for the remaining events for M-Chassis including the Finals in August, which is as follows:

"M-Chassis classes must use the Spec 60D Pre-mounted tire sets available. Items: 1016 (Super Grip Radial w/foam insert-firm), 1028 (60D Type-A w/foam insert soft) and 1029 (60D Type-A w/foam insert hard) All tires are mounted on Suzuki Swift wheels."

Tampering with the pre-mounted tires is subject to disqualification from the event.

You may use the equivalent height hardware for the steering arm link mount on the M-Chassis. It does not have to be the brass ball stud for the regionals or finals.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks, Dave! Appreciate the clarification.
Doc
Old 07-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

David,

Are shorty packs allowed in the GT1,GT2, and GT3 class at the nats? I understand the weight that has to be maintained and being a ROAR approved battery, just wondering if this has been brought up and I missed it...

Thanks
Old 07-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

David J.

Please forgive this old man being a little slow to understand what may be obvious to others. I have #1016 S-Grip premounts that were purchased at last years Nats. Are those okay?????
Old 07-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Granpa
David J.

Please forgive this old man being a little slow to understand what may be obvious to others. I have #1016 S-Grip premounts that were purchased at last years Nats. Are those okay?????
I have been evaluating the situation with the "old" and "current" batch of S-Grip Radial control tires and have determined that in fairness for the Finals this August, tires that can be used will be to limited to only the current supply of pre-mounts S-Grip Radials (item 1016). Due to the lack of availability to all competitors, the older "harder" compound will not be allowed during the finals. Fortunately, it is not difficult to tell them apart. Unlike the regional regulations, for the finals, the other pre-mount tires 1028 (60D Type-A w/foam insert soft) and 1029 (60D Type-A w/foam insert hard) are not allowed. The reason is to control the expense to the drivers. Everyone running the same tire eliminates the need to buy and test multiple tire options and combinations.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Tech Adept

Speaking of Jackson RC and Tamiya in same breath. Registration to order the team cars ends this wk. Sign up and enjoy and an entire wkend of Tamiya fun. The fourth annual 24 Heures du Jackson.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...04-2013-a.html

R
Old 07-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by David J.
I have been evaluating the situation with the "old" and "current" batch of S-Grip Radial control tires and have determined that in fairness for the Finals this August, tires that can be used will be to limited to only the current supply of pre-mounts S-Grip Radials (item 1016). Due to the lack of availability to all competitors, the older "harder" compound will not be allowed during the finals. Fortunately, it is not difficult to tell them apart. Unlike the regional regulations, for the finals, the other pre-mount tires 1028 (60D Type-A w/foam insert soft) and 1029 (60D Type-A w/foam insert hard) are not allowed. The reason is to control the expense to the drivers. Everyone running the same tire eliminates the need to buy and test multiple tire options and combinations.
Thank you for clearing that up. Some of the guys were interpreting your response to mean that the original #1016 were allowed. I didn't think that's what you meant, but had to ask. It seems as if I was the only one who understood what you were trying to communicate.

No one's complaining, just a bit confused. It's also good that you cleared up that the 1028 and the 1029 are also not allowed. From your original response, it sounded as if those would be allowed. Thank you again for clearing up the entire tire questions.

Last edited by Granpa; 07-16-2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: addition
Old 07-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by David J.
So basically if a racer has bought a supply of the "older" premounts, then they are S.O.L?? I would consider a Tamiya hop-up to be able to be used at a TCS race regardless of when it was made.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I bought a set of Pre glued S grip tires from TQ and it looks like those were made by TQ because the packaging did not have typical Tamiya tag. Will those be still acceptable?

It is OK to break them in before I go to the race, right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.