Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

The good news is the F1 discussion here prompted me to check the rules on the site and now I know what I'm going to do with the 21.5T brushless that I bought for TCS GT3 when not running TCS rules. I may try to bring my F103 out at some point and figure out how to make it work on carpet! No preference between Wednesday or Saturday because at this point I'll be doing good to make one race day a month.

Of course this raised another question. When is a silvercan not a silvercan? I see I can run Sedan Spec with a silvercan or a 25.5T and I can run F1 with a silvercan or a 21.5T. So is the silvercan more like a 25.5T or a 21.5T?

Pretty sure I'm not going to invest in a 25.5T at this point. I've got enough old brushed ESCs kicking around that I don't need to run out and buy something new just to run Sedan Spec. At one point I was thinking I might want to run a low voltage cutoff when running LiPo's with a non-LiPo cutoff smart ESC but given we'd run 5 minutes no problem on 1400's I can't see draining a 5000+ mAh battery with a silvercan in a race. Or two. Or three... Any major flaw with this plan? Anything I ought to watch out for?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:30 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phils4runner
I don't think drifting would be good for the carpet.
Also what about spending a little more for carpet for the gym and just bring the old one back to the hanger!
I think that would make more sense to me.
There's my $0.02
we will be happy to take your $.02 if you're coming to race with us again...
Old 06-24-2013, 09:35 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
Oh, sorry, we weren't talking about the same thing then. I'm not trying to argue for drifters to join the TC cars on carpet, I really don't think that would work at all. I was saying that we should figure out what to do with the rest of the warehouse space on Wednesday nights, and drifting may fill that void. They can either use the floor as is, or provide their own carpet/plastic/whatever. Point being, they could share part of the cost of renting the space for the night.
Often the other side is used to fly things, sometimes to play with other stuff. If people wanted to drift on the other side there is no real reason they could not, but what's racing on the track takes priority. i.e, when the other side is being too noisy, which I could see 4-6 drift cars at once being. We'll tell whoever happens to be flying a heli at the time to knock it off during the mains...

I have nothing against drifting. The drifting clubs have come and gone over the years, some have made a honest effort to setup drift meets during races to generate interest with little gain from their hard effort... Otherwise you'd see them more at races. They are a motivated group and you just do not see them knocking on our door for a reason.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phils4runner
Also what about spending a little more for carpet for the gym and just bring the old one back to the hanger!
I think that would make more sense to me.
There's my $0.02
That's actually a good idea. I think the assumption being made right now is that it will be difficult to raise the money for the smaller carpet setup. My suggestion... run the fundraiser, see how much we can raise, and then make a decision. If we raise enough for a full gym carpet setup, then perhaps moving the gym carpet to the hangar (and having a roll or whatever as backup) will make sense.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

D3.5...... reinstated....
Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
D3.5...... reinstated....
Say what? For real? Got a link?

Edit: found it: http://www.roarracing.com/wp-content...h_Trincorp.pdf
Old 06-25-2013, 08:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by CharlesWA
The good news is the F1 discussion here prompted me to check the rules on the site and now I know what I'm going to do with the 21.5T brushless that I bought for TCS GT3 when not running TCS rules. I may try to bring my F103 out at some point and figure out how to make it work on carpet! No preference between Wednesday or Saturday because at this point I'll be doing good to make one race day a month.

Of course this raised another question. When is a silvercan not a silvercan? I see I can run Sedan Spec with a silvercan or a 25.5T and I can run F1 with a silvercan or a 21.5T. So is the silvercan more like a 25.5T or a 21.5T?

Pretty sure I'm not going to invest in a 25.5T at this point. I've got enough old brushed ESCs kicking around that I don't need to run out and buy something new just to run Sedan Spec. At one point I was thinking I might want to run a low voltage cutoff when running LiPo's with a non-LiPo cutoff smart ESC but given we'd run 5 minutes no problem on 1400's I can't see draining a 5000+ mAh battery with a silvercan in a race. Or two. Or three... Any major flaw with this plan? Anything I ought to watch out for?
The Tamiya Silver cans are real close to the Brushless 25.5. In fact, the track record in scale spec goes back and forth from one to the other. I believe it is held right now by the silver can so don't worry about a different system for scale spec. In F1, being a rear wheel drive car and inherently hard to drive, the 21.5 brushless is a lot of power. It is hard to lay it all down so even though the 21.5 is a faster motor, the silver can could be more controllable. At least it is that way in the parking lots. I have not yet run F1 on carpet but from what I've watched, it is still a hand full to drive so it's never a bad thing to limit your motor in a hard to drive car. Also the brushed option is there for exactly your situation, a racer who wants to play but doesn't want to invest a bunch of money into a expensive system. Get out there and play with what you got. If you have a lot of fun and find yourself behind in motor, then invest.

Don't worry about the lipo cutoff. You will not use up enough of the battery in a 6 min race. I believe you could probably run 2, maybe 3 races without charging if you wanted. After a 6 min run in F1 with a 21.5 motor my packs are still at 8.1 - 8.2. We will probably use a little more on the carpet but I can not see ever using all the power in your battery in a single heat or main.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Good thing I am psychic and kept my d3.5... Cause I knew this was coming!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by OVA
we will be happy to take your $.02 if you're coming to race with us again...
Oh Ill be racing just on a limited schedule!
I need some sort of fix!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
Good thing I am psychic and kept my d3.5... Cause I knew this was coming!
Don't act like you quit using it... just need to get all the original parts back on it...
Old 06-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Don't act like you quit using it... just need to get all the original parts back on it...
What are you tech? Lol I like to use the 2s packs with a 1s label, dial my EPA to just a hair faster and call it good lmao

(This is a joke btw)
Old 06-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CharlesWA
So is the silvercan more like a 25.5T or a 21.5T?
For what it's worth, I've been running a silver can in my F104 for a year now and never once felt like it needed more motor to keep up with a 21.5 car. I can't say the same for my Scale Spec car, where I have run 25.5 and silver can and always managed to turn into a rolling chicane once in a while.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

What is the ruling looking like for the D3.5 17.5?
Old 06-26-2013, 12:37 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

it is too soon to tell
Old 06-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

For use in our club?

It is in deep meditation sessions within the comp committee, but feel free to throw your thoughts out, we will listen.

The basic facts as spelled out by the agreement between ROAR and Trinity and a few additional re-badgers of the D3.5 17.5 motor:

It will be reinstated as of July 1st, 2013 - it will be deemed illegal, again, March 30th 2014.

So if it is decided to let them race within our club, you could buy/use one, but it will become illegal before the end of our winter season.

-a

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.