R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2004, 03:21 AM   #7396
Tech Champion
 
jfc_tech's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: www.JonehRC.com
Posts: 7,000
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jfc_tech
Default

Quote:
originally posted by InitialD on other thread
I have a Shooter 4 mm chassis for my 705. I saw a Shooter aluminum middle bearing block and a hollow 2 speed main shaft option for the 950. Recently, I saw that they have a lighweight main shaft for 710 too.
cool...lightweight shaft...are ye using it already D? Is it in stock in semenanjung already?
__________________
If you are in front of me, That's because I let you!
jfc_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:15 AM   #7397
Tech Master
 
sparksy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisvagas
Posts: 1,951
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default

I have the shaft. Its not a bad little bit of kit. From memory it is a 10gm weight saving over stock.
sparksy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:32 AM   #7398
Tech Fanatic
 
BaxterC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 801
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
I have the shaft. Its not a bad little bit of kit. From memory it is a 10gm weight saving over stock.
what sort of a performance increase does that give you on acceleration?
BaxterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:53 AM   #7399
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 315
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up Nice work, Jabroni !

Jabroni, that is sure some nice work!

Wish mine looked as clean... I have wires bundled atop the steering servo, not hidden.

Curious about one thing... with the expenditure on alloy parts and SSG, why did you keep the stock plastic radiotray support?
I would think that would be the FIRST thing you would replace with an alloy part to increase torsional stiffness.
GlennCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 06:29 AM   #7400
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,177
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by BaxterC
what sort of a performance increase does that give you on acceleration?
it should accelerate faster since it has less rotating mass!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 06:40 AM   #7401
Tech Fanatic
 
BaxterC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 801
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcos.S710
it should accelerate faster since it has less rotating mass!
True, but right in the beginning of the forum, I cant remember who it was, but I think it was Julius who said that the lighter shaft will make very little difference to the acceleration. However, I would think it would make a difference, as the overall weight is affected and that will make the difference. But I think the titanium shaft will be much more resilient to damage.

Can you see the difference in acceleration?
BaxterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 06:41 AM   #7402
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,177
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default Re: Radio Tray Work


i will be afraid to run that car and get it dirty
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 08:37 AM   #7403
Tech Initiate
 
pelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: venice
Posts: 46
Default My beloved 710

Hope you enjoy it


Last edited by pelos; 04-03-2004 at 06:18 AM.
pelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 08:38 AM   #7404
Tech Elite
 
John Fontaine's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SouthEast PA
Posts: 2,699
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine
Default

That's nice looking!
__________________
Xray and Serpent....very dusty!
John Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 08:40 AM   #7405
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by jfc_tech
cool...lightweight shaft...are ye using it already D? Is it in stock in semenanjung already?
I have the 3Racing titanium shaft on the 710. So does crashed_1. Did not weight it but it is certainly lighter than the stock one.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 08:51 AM   #7406
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default Re: Nice work, Jabroni !

Quote:
Originally posted by GlennCauley
Curious about one thing... with the expenditure on alloy parts and SSG, why did you keep the stock plastic radiotray support?
I would think that would be the FIRST thing you would replace with an alloy part to increase torsional stiffness.
Just guessing here but I think it's because he has not have them yet?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 08:52 AM   #7407
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by BaxterC
True, but right in the beginning of the forum, I cant remember who it was, but I think it was Julius who said that the lighter shaft will make very little difference to the acceleration.
You are right. Somebody mentioned about it. I believe it was Michael Salven. It was actually to give a reason why the shaft on the 710 was not hollow. The weight reduction in terms of rotational mass is insignificant considering the fact that a hollow shaft would greatly reduce strenght. Rotational mass savings would be insignificant due to the mass being centered very closely to the rotational axis.

Quote:
Originally posted by BaxterC
However, I would think it would make a difference, as the overall weight is affected and that will make the difference. But I think the titanium shaft will be much more resilient to damage.
Yes you are right. No doubt that there is some savings in rotational mass as well as static mass. Don't know about being more resilient though. I know that the 2 speed shaft on the 705 is pretty susceptible to bending upon impact.

Quote:
Originally posted by BaxterC
Can you see the difference in acceleration?
I guess !
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 09:27 AM   #7408
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,177
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
You are right. Somebody mentioned about it. I believe it was Michael Salven. It was actually to give a reason why the shaft on the 710 was not hollow. The weight reduction in terms of rotational mass is insignificant considering the fact that a hollow shaft would greatly reduce strenght. Rotational mass savings would be insignificant due to the mass being centered very closely to the rotational axis.



Yes you are right. No doubt that there is some savings in rotational mass as well as static mass. Don't know about being more resilient though. I know that the 2 speed shaft on the 705 is pretty susceptible to bending upon impact.



I guess !
so for impact purposes ,leave the stock shaft for reliability!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 09:37 AM   #7409
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcos.S710
so for impact purposes ,leave the stock shaft for reliability!
I think the stock shaft on the 710 is much better than on the 705. Anyway, if the 3Racing shafts are indeed of good titanium grade (which I think they are), then it should hold up.

p/s: Congrats ! You've reach your 1st 1000 posts !
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 09:43 AM   #7410
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,177
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
I think the stock shaft on the 710 is much better than on the 705. Anyway, if the 3Racing shafts are indeed of good titanium grade (which I think they are), then it should hold up.

p/s: Congrats ! You've reach your 1st 1000 posts !
thank you only 8,000 more to go to catch you
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serpent 705 J_Longbrake Nitro On-Road 4252 02-23-2015 12:34 AM
WTB: NIB Serpent 710 aN4rK1 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 3 06-16-2006 09:23 PM
Serpent 835 JFCJ R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 3 02-20-2005 09:29 PM
Trade in Your Old Serpent 710 Parts for New Serpent 710 Parts fast_it710 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 09-17-2004 12:27 AM
Serpent Impulse w/MT-12 and Serpent Starter box - cheap Solara R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 03-07-2003 03:01 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:05 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net