Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by unsp0ken
whats the typical turnaround time for a tekin warranty service?
About 2 weeks. I got mine back within that and it has worked great since.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by straycat40
Is anybody using the current limiter setting on the RX8? What do you have it set at?

Just wondering if this is a good option to tone down the power on smaller indoor tracks. I turned down the throttle EPA and its drivable, but want to soften up the punch a bit.

Thanks
Current limiter works great. Definitely helps take the bottom end out so you can get on the gas harder.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is anybody using the current limiter setting on the RX8? What do you have it set at?

Just wondering if this is a good option to tone down the power on smaller indoor tracks. I turned down the throttle EPA and its drivable, but want to soften up the punch a bit.

Thanks
I love the current limiter in the RX8. This is one of the reason I decided to go with the Tekin ESC. You can use it to keep your current levels in check with your batteries capabilities, making the batteries nice and happy. You can also use it to tone down the explosive punch of most of these brushless systems. It sounds like this is exactly what you would like to do.

If all you want to do is soften up the punch for a smaller track (or looser conditions) I would suggest leaving the radio endpoint at 100% and using the current limiter. This way the top end speed is still available if you need it, but you will have much finer control and less wheel spin in the technical sections.

If your radio has the capability, I would also recommend dialing in some exponential on the throttle. This way the beginning portion of the trigger pull will have finer control and allow you to dial out just the amount of power you need, while the top end will have coarser adjustment where the exact level doesn't matter as much but you still get full throttle. This will tame the bottom end quite a bit and offer you great control, depending on how strong you set the expo. Just keep in mind that many radios have the ability to set the expo either way, positive or negative. If it is not clear which way is which, set expo to a high level (100% or maximum is fine) pick the car up and slowly pull the trigger a little. The throttle response should make it immediately evident if this is the right direction or not. Once you know which way is the right way, choose a more appropriate setting to start and adjust per your driving preference from there. I found my RX8 w/ 1400T8 on 5S to have much too much bottom punch for me to control well, until I dialed up the expo to 50%. It almost looks like I know what I am doing now

For what it is worth,
Spiro
Old 02-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Thanks
I run the current limiter at 90% and the car is so smooth and easy to control.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

What motor would be recommended for this track? I'm considering going electric instead of Nitro this year,just dont understand motor ratings.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

CRAZYACE63: Thanks for the input man! It's much appreciated...time to do some wrenching....
Old 02-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by macke
May I ask which car you are running and what motor, pinions, batteries etc you are using? I'm sure you understand that if everybody else had the same experience as you then Tekin would not be on the market at all...
sure you can ask but i dont see what it matters witch pinion,batteries or motor i'm running because every time the rx8 has failed on me tekin said something on the circuit board came loose........nothing fried or anything but to answer your question

losi 8ight
1900kv
16/45 gearing
35c 6500mah hyperion vx g3 lipos
motor and esc never have gotton anything but luke warm and the car is used on an indoor clay track with small 1/10 scale sized jumps and is never bashed only raced or practice for racing, never driven outside or off huge jumps
Old 02-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Craig
What motor would be recommended for this track? I'm considering going electric instead of Nitro this year,just dont understand motor ratings.
Before you ask what motor we think would work well for you there we need to know some things. Are you going to run 4 5 or 6s? And what car or truggy is it going in?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Craig

Craig,

I would go with the Tekin RX8 and the 1900 kv motor on 4s batteries if you run buggy.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Spironi
I love the current limiter in the RX8. This is one of the reason I decided to go with the Tekin ESC. You can use it to keep your current levels in check with your batteries capabilities, making the batteries nice and happy. You can also use it to tone down the explosive punch of most of these brushless systems. It sounds like this is exactly what you would like to do.

If all you want to do is soften up the punch for a smaller track (or looser conditions) I would suggest leaving the radio endpoint at 100% and using the current limiter. This way the top end speed is still available if you need it, but you will have much finer control and less wheel spin in the technical sections.

If your radio has the capability, I would also recommend dialing in some exponential on the throttle. This way the beginning portion of the trigger pull will have finer control and allow you to dial out just the amount of power you need, while the top end will have coarser adjustment where the exact level doesn't matter as much but you still get full throttle. This will tame the bottom end quite a bit and offer you great control, depending on how strong you set the expo. Just keep in mind that many radios have the ability to set the expo either way, positive or negative. If it is not clear which way is which, set expo to a high level (100% or maximum is fine) pick the car up and slowly pull the trigger a little. The throttle response should make it immediately evident if this is the right direction or not. Once you know which way is the right way, choose a more appropriate setting to start and adjust per your driving preference from there. I found my RX8 w/ 1400T8 on 5S to have much too much bottom punch for me to control well, until I dialed up the expo to 50%. It almost looks like I know what I am doing now

For what it is worth,
Spiro
Good answer, thanks.

I have an M11 so I have plenty of control with the radio. I'll try the throttle expo setting and see how that works. I'll dial back the current limiter and give it a try.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Tech Addict

i sent you an email randy.........i spoke with Jim Campbell and he was very nice and also professional and is taking good care of me and tekins customer service is good no as a matter of fact its great but even with great customer service im getting sick of this thing breaking and me having to mail it in......... 5 times in 5 months are you kidding me? and always the same thing pcb board you tap on the speedo and works then try to drive and it stops than give it a tap or just push on it and it works again till you try to drive .......each time i send it in it takes 2-3 weeks to get it back and each time im reassured its fixed for good this time...........we know what the problem was and we have addressed it..............

when it works it works awesome my motor and esc both never get anything but maybe luke warm and its fast and smooth my one and single complaint is im sick of it breaking after two days of running at the track and the track i run on is more for 1/10 scale it has small jumps and the car is never abused only raced or maybe run for practice because im out of practice waiting for my esc in the mail
Old 02-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by big greg
if you can only race a couple months out of the year and you dont have a spare speedo thats your own fault! dont come on here crying about how your wookie is bent i think tekin should charge a bitchers fee when repairing whiners stuff lol, i at least keep an extra 1/10 mm to use just in case
ya ok see how you feel if you have 5 escs fail the "longest lasting one lasting 3 times at the track" with your logic i should have 6 spares and i after 5 times i think i have the "right" to speak up .........or as you call it cry
Old 02-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Tech Addict

It may help to learn how to use periods and commas to form sentences.
i thought of that..... but no i dont think it will help except for the people that cant read very well
Old 02-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by lbckevin
Craig,

I would go with the Tekin RX8 and the 1900 kv motor on 4s batteries if you run buggy.
I'd think more of 2000 to 2040 range, its a little larger of a track
and it's a happy medium of top end and low torque
Old 02-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by john stu
ya ok see how you feel if you have 5 escs fail the "longest lasting one lasting 3 times at the track" with your logic i should have 6 spares and i after 5 times i think i have the "right" to speak up .........or as you call it cry
I'll do one better than that Stu...just got mine back from Tekin, installed it, ran it for about 6 laps and BAM! I noticed a slight cut off...drove it another half lap and BAM! Sure enough, my car was "Tekining" (as we like to call it...maybe that's not as unique as I think it is!)

So, for the 5th or 6th time (I lost track!) I have to send it in for another $10 in postage for repair.

I'm not crying about this...I'm a bit miffed...but, mostly, I think people should know about this that are thinking about going with a Tekin. Normally, if I were considering buying a component and I read a review like mine, I would probably consider that to be the exception, but I'm here to say that I REALLY (with strong and careful consideration on my part) feel that this is not the exception...I honestly think that there is a problem because so many of us are having the EXACT same problem.

Buyer beware...Cavaet emptor.

If you want to have a small, smooth performing ESC...go Tekin. If you don't want to worry about your ESC...go Castle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.