Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
5s 1700 on a tight track is way too much power. I was running that setup on a track with a 200 foot front straight and it was still a bit overpowered.

I would run the 1400kv motor on 5s to tame it down a bit and then gear for about 33-35 mph at most if the track is really small.

My motors rarely get above 130 degrees these days, but then can usually run up to 175 degrees safely. Anything more than that you are getting into the danger zone of demagnetizing the motor.
Would it help to put like a 15T on it?
Old 02-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
How quickly people forget all of Castle's problems and the three major revisions it took to get the MMM mostly reliable. And they can still fail. Any ESC will fail given the amount of abuse they get in an 1/8th. This isn't a nice soft landing 1/10th buggy, these bricks fall from the sky 20 ft up and land hard and flat at full power.
+1... I went through 6 MMMs the first summer they were released. Hopefully, the mfg's will figure out how to make these things a little more reliable given the stress they endure.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
+1... I went through 6 MMMs the first summer they were released. Hopefully, the mfg's will figure out how to make these things a little more reliable given the stress they endure.
Easy, build them to at least mil-spec, if not aerospace spec quality and durability. Oh, and they'll weigh 4 lbs, take up half the chassis of you car, and cost $1200. But hey, can't have everything!

Cheap, small, reliable: Pick any two.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
Easy, build them to at least mil-spec, if not aerospace spec quality and durability. Oh, and they'll weigh 4 lbs, take up half the chassis of you car, and cost $1200. But hey, can't have everything!

Cheap, small, reliable: Pick any two.
I have been saying that for awhile now. I rather pay a premium to know there is little chance of it breaking. But then again, I am a racer and not really on a strict budget, but I would gladly pay say $500 bucks for a close to military spec'd speed control that I knew could take pretty much all I could throw at it. As it stands right now, I have pretty much have 2 backups in my pit box at all times

People pay $400-$500 bucks for nitro engines, they will pay it for a speed control.

I think Tekin/Castle could sell a few "race spec" ESCs and then maybe offer a cheaper one for the bashers on a budget.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:41 AM
Tech Regular

hi there

i see at tower and amain that the tekin truggy 2000kv motor is on back order

so my question
i run 4s on the mugen truggy and would know if its a big difference in runtime, performance and temps, iff i run the buggy 2050 version on 4s in my truggy?

what would be the difference?

thank you

mihael
Old 02-24-2010, 05:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I used to run the Buggy 2050kv motor on my F8T Truggy. Temps are abt the same with the truggy motor but of course with the truggy motor, it will have more torque. As for runtime, I did not calculate tht.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well i must say after having my main and Spare ESC take a dump on me at the Nitro Pit this past weekend and not to mention i think the motor is pooched as well.....im not very happy....this isn't the first time...and im sure it wont be the last...But PLEASE Tekin....get this stuff Sorted.

Ty and or Randy ill be in Contact in the next couple days either by phone or E-mail.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For you folks who are burning through a RX8 every month for six months straight:

1. Are you monitoring the temperatures of your motor and ESC?

2. Are you running a working fan with all blades operational on your ESC and motor?

3. Are you using the recommended maximum number of cells for your motor? For 2000kV, for example, it is only 4s.

4. Are you mounting the ESC directly to the chasis or on some foam tape? I would think that screwing it directly to the chasis may crack a solder joint on a really hard landing. Why not put a piece of dense foam beneath it and zip tie it down?
Example: 3M™ Extra-thick Multipurpose Mounting Tape 4008

5. Are you making the wires connecting the motor to the ESC long enough that there is ample room to bend when the chassis flexes?

6. Are you insulting the motor and ESC terminals with tape or heat shrink tubing so that they can't accidentally short out? I would be worried that some piece of debris or an allen wrench could momentarily touch and short the ESC.

Has anybody tried doing all of the above and still had numerous issues with the newer RX8 designs?? Things don't magically break unless they are subject to vibrations, shock or heat. If you keep the temperatures below 150 F, by monitoring them, and mount the ESC on a couple layers of thick foam double sided sticky tape, I don't see how you can fry so many so frequently. The one thing that can spell disaster for electronics are bad solder joints since they can crack, but I highly doubt Tekin hasn't double checked that.

Now, maybe the RX8 is too fragile, but more likely people just need to learn to be extra careful with 1/8th scale because of the speed and power, no? After all, how much better can either Castle or Tekin engineer these things for $300? 1/8th electric is still relatively new, so it wouldn't surprise me if there is some learning that we all need to do.

-Just my 2 cents
Old 02-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Been there done that with Tekin & castle.

Both companies have had to go thru the learning curve. Castle had a year head start and now are pretty reliable. Tekin is getting there.

Last edited by RBMike; 02-26-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RBMike
Great first post. No one here thought of any of that over the last year.

No offence but your 2 cents worth is worthless. Been there done that with Tekin & castle.

Both companies have had to go thru the learning curve. Castle had a year head start and now are pretty reliable. Tekin is getting there.
I disagree that it is entirely worthless. There are people (me for one) who have run a whole season on a single, early production, RX8 with nary a hint of problems, Then there are people that have gone through 5 of them, getting a few minutes track time with each before the ESC gets croaked. Those two camps have got to be doing something different. Maybe some of the differences are what tetris pointed out.

Not related to Tekin, but and one point when monsters were blowing up more frequently, Patrick pointed out that people who have problems, have them over and over agin each time they start with a fresh speed control. They are clearly doing something bad that others, some of whom are still running V1 monsters are not.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ta_man
I disagree that it is entirely worthless.

Not related to Tekin, but and one point when monsters were blowing up more frequently, Patrick pointed out that people who have problems, have them over and over agin each time they start with a fresh speed control. They are clearly doing something bad that others, some of whom are still running V1 monsters are not.
Well thanks, I like to think that I didn't go to school for six years to get a BS and MS in electrical engineering for nothing....Trying to help here.

I have seen people do some ridiculous things with electronics. I've seen people wire the hot to the nuetral on AC circuits and then wonder why it blew up in their face when they turned it on. Just saying, somebody may be doing something that is causing the problem without realizing it. Now, that isn't to say Tekin and Castle shouldn't design these things to prevent that, but if the goal is to solve the problem, a little thinking might help.

If we can find a way to reduce the stress on the ESC/motor, than maybe it will get us through until they work out all of the bugs. After all, other than heat or shock/vibration, I don't see what could kill the ESC if they didn't make any stupid design errors. One problem that could happen would be if the temperature sensor detached from the MOSFETs and the heatsink also began to detach. Then the MOSFETs could fry without the thermal shutdown kicking in. Or maybe they put the sensor on the heatsink, which would be dumb. How securely is the heatsink attached to the MOSFETs?

One other thing is that MOSFETs are really sensitive to static electricity. If they didn't put some ESD diodes on the inputs, that could eventually cause flaky operation leading to failure. To prevent this you can wire up a "Tranzorb" diode across the battery input terminals.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by tetris
For you folks who are burning through a RX8 every month for six months straight:

1. Are you monitoring the temperatures of your motor and ESC?

answer : yes motor and esc "never" get anything above warm im actuly very happy with how cool this system runs

2. Are you running a working fan with all blades operational on your ESC and motor?

answer: yes working fan with all blades even though the only time the fan ever comes on is when you first power it up because like i said the system runs very cool

3. Are you using the recommended maximum number of cells for your motor? For 2000kV, for example, it is only 4s.

answer: im running a hyperion vx g3 35c 4s batteries with a 1900kv motor and the batteries dont get puffed or even warm for that matter

4. Are you mounting the ESC directly to the chasis or on some foam tape? I would think that screwing it directly to the chasis may crack a solder joint on a really hard landing. Why not put a piece of dense foam beneath it and zip tie it down?
Example: 3M™ Extra-thick Multipurpose Mounting Tape 4008

answer: im mounting my esc with several layers or squishy double sided tape so it has some give.... even though randy pike says it wont last any longer ether way and tekin says one layer is fine

5. Are you making the wires connecting the motor to the ESC long enough that there is ample room to bend when the chassis flexes?

answer: yes plenty of extra wire and wire is lightly secured so it dosn't bounce around on the bumps

6. Are you insulting the motor and ESC terminals with tape or heat shrink tubing so that they can't accidentally short out? I would be worried that some piece of debris or an allen wrench could momentarily touch and short the ESC.

answer: yes all thermals have heat shirk on them

Has anybody tried doing all of the above and still had numerous issues with the newer RX8 designs?? Things don't magically break unless they are subject to vibrations, shock or heat. If you keep the temperatures below 150 F, by monitoring them, and mount the ESC on a couple layers of thick foam double sided sticky tape, I don't see how you can fry so many so frequently. The one thing that can spell disaster for electronics are bad solder joints since they can crack, but I highly doubt Tekin hasn't double checked that.

Now, maybe the RX8 is too fragile, but more likely people just need to learn to be extra careful with 1/8th scale because of the speed and power, no? After all, how much better can either Castle or Tekin engineer these things for $300? 1/8th electric is still relatively new, so it wouldn't surprise me if there is some learning that we all need to do.

answer : i have done every thing i can think of to make my rx8 last as long as possible but it still breaks over and over. the car has never been run outside and bashed the only thing this car is ever used for is racing, and its raced on an indoor clay track made for 1/10 scales and the track has no big jumps heres a vid of the track im not in the vid but you can see its not like we are jumping 10 feet up and smashing down see for yourself where im running and see if its too much abuse for the rx8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWAlYXz923o

-Just my 2 cents

i dont know what to say im using this rx8 on 4s with a 1900kv and im not hitting and huge jumps smashing down on the chassis or running outdside hitting curbs "THE ONLY WAY THIS CAR IS EVER USED IS LIKE IN THE ABOVE VIDEO"the esc and motor never ever have gotten hot not even very warm i dont even think the fan has ever come on at least its never been on when i come off the track.

answer: this rx8 esc has some connection issues inside the unit and it has nothing to do with the user or how its used period.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

I disagree that it is entirely worthless. There are people (me for one) who have run a whole season on a single, early production, RX8 with nary a hint of problems, .

funny how you should mention that my friend bought his rx8 at the same time i got mine and we race together use the exact same car and setup batteries everything.........his has never broke and his is the old first run version and mine is the newer one lol
Old 02-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by john stu
answer: this rx8 esc has some connection issues inside the unit and it has nothing to do with the user or how its used period.
OK, thanks for the info. Its possible they are getting consistently bad solder jobs or that the problems I mentioned above with the MOSFETs are occuring. Heck, its even possible that something else in your system, like your motor or servo is causing the problem. For example, if the servo or motor are shorting out briefly when you land a big jump, that may do it.

Obviously, its hard to know without being in the Tekin engineering room.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

I disagree that it is entirely worthless. There are people (me for one) who have run a whole season on a single, early production, RX8 with nary a hint of problems, Then there are people that have gone through 5 of them, getting a few minutes track time with each before the ESC gets croaked. Those two camps have got to be doing something different. Maybe some of the differences are what tetris pointed out.

It is a big mystery. I know I have had mine mounted every single possible way. Run a pretty conservative setup and been doing this for years so no newb mistakes.

I do think the failures have something to do with 1) hard braking during racing and 2) mounting.

I notice that you rarely see failures with speed runs, but mostly racers on the track. None of mine failed just running out in the street.

I have more buggy failures than in truggy and I think it is because the lower profile of the buggy has more frequent chassis slaps. My only truggy failures were when I had it mounted behind the battery. Once I went with the Tekno kit at the beginning of last year, I didn't have a single rx8 failure with it mounted at the front of the car and slightly raised.

My current two failed rx8's have been mounted behind the battery in the buggy and I did/do use anti vibration underneath. I have been considering going back to the RCPD top plate and mounting it elevated over the center diff to see if that helps any.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.