Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thrash metal
im on my second tekin rx8 esc and in my last race the esc shutdown 7 minutes into a 10 minute race.

my teammate is running a hb d8 converted to brushless and hes using a 1/10 mamba max esc with a bec on 4s lipo with a tekin 2050kv motor and it runs flawlessly . even after running hard for a 10 minute main the esc doesnt even hit 120 degrees . i run my rx8 and it goes into sutdown mode.

im going to dump my tekin esc and put in a 1/10 mamba max pro esc and run it on 5s with a tekin 1400 kv motor.

the 1/10 scale esc imo is a much more reliable than any 1/8 esc made by tekin , or lrp. even the 1/8 mamba monster isnt as durable as the tried and true mamba max .
Do you have your low voltage cutoff set correclty? Are you using quality lipos that can deliver enough current? Are all your connectors in good condition and all you solder joints done well? These are all things that can cause it to shut down late in a run, and might not be the RX8s fault. Oh, and the MMP hasn't proven to be terribly reliable either, especially in 1/8th applications.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Since there is so many bad comments on here I would like to have a change of pace. This past weekend we had our season opener. I Qualified 3 and won the A-Main in buggy and I TQ'd Truggy and came in second to Kevin Hetmanski of RC Car Action. Both systems ran awesome. I had one little hiccup in the truggy main when it cut out for a split second but we will see. This was also nitro and E-cars combined. My setups are in my sig....
Old 04-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you're shutting down in 7 minutes you need to watch the led's on the Rx8 and find out why. If it's LVC there will be 1 3 5. IF it's a thermal all led's will flash when it cycles over to the temp indication.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
No, mine is this way as well. Simple take the front endbell off and rotate the motor to where you'd like the tabs to be, then make sure that your motor screws fit the mount as well.

We are vigurously testing right now with some "changes" made to the Rx8. You should all know by now that as soon as we have concrete verification that we post on quite a few forums to let all the Tekin customers know of what's going on.

We have and will continue to stand behind this product until it's "right" by everyone. We agree that there should not be failures based on large jumps. These are 1/8 cars and if the gas cars can do it the E buggies should as well(well at least within reason, we all know the e buggies fly further! LOL).
This is all I was wanting to see. Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully once I get my rx8 back these issues will be gone forever
Old 04-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
No, mine is this way as well. Simple take the front endbell off and rotate the motor to where you'd like the tabs to be, then make sure that your motor screws fit the mount as well.

We are vigurously testing right now with some "changes" made to the Rx8. You should all know by now that as soon as we have concrete verification that we post on quite a few forums to let all the Tekin customers know of what's going on.

We have and will continue to stand behind this product until it's "right" by everyone. We agree that there should not be failures based on large jumps. These are 1/8 cars and if the gas cars can do it the E buggies should as well(well at least within reason, we all know the e buggies fly further! LOL).
This is good news!

Ben Burtle
Old 04-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

10 minute mains, outside temps 20C+ (70F+) no fan and RX8 has no issues. wonder how can you have issues with overheating unless in buggy without any holes in chassis to get some airflow
Old 04-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Tech Adept

Has anyone had a fan stop working, not the fan itself but the output for the fan on the RX 8. I needed to replace my fan because of broken blades. I put in a new fan and it does not cycle on when I turn the car on like it used to. Temps are ok around 145 normally when I pull it off the track without the fan, it hit 164 yesterday and no fan came on when it passed 150. Other than that the controller is working fine, it rips with a 2050 in my mp9.

Overall happy with my Tekin gear, 0 problems on my 3 RS pro systems for 10th scale this past winter.

Any input???

Thanks
Old 04-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default rx8 esc issues

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
Do you have your low voltage cutoff set correclty? Are you using quality lipos that can deliver enough current? Are all your connectors in good condition and all you solder joints done well? These are all things that can cause it to shut down late in a run, and might not be the RX8s fault. Oh, and the MMP hasn't proven to be terribly reliable either, especially in 1/8th applications.
im using pro match 4s 5100 mah 40c cont lipos. im using castle 5.5 bullet connectors and the soldering is all good.

lipo cutoff was set for 12 volts.

as far as the mamba max 1/10 esc not being reliable. ive been using mamba max systems in all my 1/10 vehicle for years without a single esc failure.

ive only run 3 races on my ve8 and im already on my 2nd rx8 esc. doesnt say much for reliability of the product does it?
Old 04-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I never said the Mamba Max wasn't reliable. It is, probably the most bullet proof ESC I've ever seen. The Mamba Max PRO, on the other hand, is a different story.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Tech Addict

Hey guys so I noticed when I'm not driving my buggy, the esc has one LED jump around once about every 10 seconds then it's back to normal. It works fine and all, but I was wondering what it's doing... Should I be concerned?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default VE8 mounting suggestions

All,

I just ordered a VE8 and I have already have an RX8. Are their any suggestions for mounting that I hope will not cause problems that may be occuring?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmackani
All,

I just ordered a VE8 and I have already have an RX8. Are their any suggestions for mounting that I hope will not cause problems that may be occuring?
I would love to see someone make a anti-shock esc mount that uses the holes in the esc tray. Or 1 of the RCPD style for the Ve8, Dan said he would make some but he needs a prototype made and sent to him, I tried but dont have acces to a material to make 1. Guys using his center diff plate/esc mount are having nice longevity out of their RX8's from what I am hearing.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey bud try some of this gell type stuff its awsome
more sticky then double side tape

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ng-Gel-1-Sheet
Old 04-26-2010, 05:36 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike881
Hey guys so I noticed when I'm not driving my buggy, the esc has one LED jump around once about every 10 seconds then it's back to normal. It works fine and all, but I was wondering what it's doing... Should I be concerned?
That's just the temperature indicator for the esc.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
LVC is set correctly for 4S packs. lipos are team orion 3600ma 25c 2S packs, wired in series to create a total of a 4S pack.

connectors are fine, the esc turns on, the lights light up, it responds to the controller, and the led bargraph moves up and down. the temp indicator was only at 2 bars when it failed. fan wasnt on. motor is a 1900kv T8.

its weird, because it hasnt failed completely. it responds to the controller, however there is no output at all, and it has stopped beeping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.