Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have not ran a fan on my RX8's for over a year with no issues.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
Bought an china brand ESC to try out to see how it ran. It was ok, for the price, but I don't like the lack of brake adjustability and the weird stuttering it does as it's version of punch control. So, I'm going back to my RX8 cuz its the best damn ESC for 1/8th. Period. .. ....
I also tried out a buddies Ve8 to see how it handles and jumps, but he is running a brand 'C' setup and gawd sensorless feels like crap after running sensored for 2 years.

I also came up with a better way to keep fan blades from breaking off. 1) cut out a square of lexan the size of the fan body. 2) drill four holes in the corners lined up with the fan mounting screws. 3) cut out a circle in the middle of the lexan square so that the diameter of the hole is smaller than the tips of the fan blades. 4) slide the fan and lexan square (on top of the fan) into the RX8 housing and install the mounting screws through the lexan into the fan body. Now the fan blade tips are secured under the lexan and cannot catch on the RX8 case 'bars' and break off.
Can't really get a clear pic of it, but I think I described it well enough.
Or just pick up the ManicRC fan and be done with broken blades for good. I have this fan on both my RX8's and I have never broken a blade. I even have my SC8e flipping end over end the other weekend and these blades are still running true.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

seeing as my ESC is out on repairs, can I run my TEKIN 2050 motor, with a Mamba ESC? I have a spare mamba thats not being used. but not to sure on the whole sencorless/sencered combo

thanks
Old 06-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I didn't take it personal and i think my point was kind of missed. Using these cars as they are intended, on a track, in a racing situation, should not be considered abuse. That is what most of the people in here complaining seem to have in common. They are the ones loosing money on lost race fees. I will apologize for my tone but not for what i said. I am a true believer of not releasing products and letting the buying public test it and whether that as the intention or not(and i don't think it was) that is what is happening. I realize there is a lot of pressure to get product to market right now since this part of racing is so new and you guys have done a great job of "walking the walk" but there is no two ways about it, when you leave the track before you are ready, it sucks!
Old 06-16-2010, 05:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by racingnazy
seeing as my ESC is out on repairs, can I run my TEKIN 2050 motor, with a Mamba ESC? I have a spare mamba thats not being used. but not to sure on the whole sencorless/sencered combo

thanks
yes you can run ur tekin motor with the mamba esc but u will not have the super smooth throttle response of the sensored set-up on the rx8
Old 06-16-2010, 06:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hey Chris
Sorry if this is a stupid question. But how do you reconise the new case vs. the old version.

I only ask because I just bought my first one, so I don't know which each one looks like.

Thanks
Originally Posted by CRAZYACE63
Check the bottom of the case. IF you have four mounting holes that is the old one and if you have three then that is the new one.
If that's the case that sucks for me.

Bought it brand new and arrived last week and has four mounting holes.

I hope it holds out. Is there anybody in Australia that fixes them or do we have to send them back to the states?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 267 (98%+)

Originally Posted by Hey Chris
If that's the case that sucks for me.

Bought it brand new and arrived last week and has four mounting holes.

I hope it holds out. Is there anybody in Australia that fixes them or do we have to send them back to the states?
Pretty sure it needs to go to Tekin in the US. However you should run it as is. There are people that have had good luck. You might be one of the lucky ones. Some things you can do to prolong its life are use a few layers of servo tape (the spongy kind). I have even heard of guys packing the case with foam but have never tried it. Might not be recommended by the Tekin guys.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Even though there's 4 holes it still might be one of the hand modded cases. Take a close look at the hole closest to the servo lead exit point. If it looks slightly different than the others it's got a hand modded case. The hand modded cases are holding up VERY well and should be good to go.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

randy / ty,

when the esc gets sent out after being repaired, do we get an email saying its been sent? is there any sort of tracking with usps?

not sure if mine has been sent out yet, ty said it should be but i havent received any notification..
Old 06-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by rdorman
randy / ty,

when the esc gets sent out after being repaired, do we get an email saying its been sent? is there any sort of tracking with usps?

not sure if mine has been sent out yet, ty said it should be but i havent received any notification..
Reece,

It went out on the 10th, LC314917100US. You can punch that number into the usps.com site and it will track it. Not sure how up to date it is once it leaves the states but it's on the way to you!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

I did a quick search but never found anything, but this past weekend I ran into a problem with my RX8... My car started to cut out for a second or 2 during a race. Now my ESC shows led's 1 and 5 blinking. I did a factory reset but it took a couple time to get recognized when I hooked it up to hot wire. I put my setup back on and when I turn it on, it inconsistently chimes, but always goes back to led's 1 and 5 blinking. Is she toast or am I missing something?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
Reece,

It went out on the 10th, LC314917100US. You can punch that number into the usps.com site and it will track it. Not sure how up to date it is once it leaves the states but it's on the way to you!
thanks mate!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Make sure it's led 1 and 5. I'd wager that it's led's 1 and 4 which do cycle from 4 to 1 showing you the onboard temp. This of course is normal.

If you're running a DSM system, make sure to add a cap to your receiver. We're passing a lot of power through the receiver and sometimes they will brown out causing a hesitation or loss of power.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Make sure it's led 1 and 5. I'd wager that it's led's 1 and 4 which do cycle from 4 to 1 showing you the onboard temp. This of course is normal.

If you're running a DSM system, make sure to add a cap to your receiver. We're passing a lot of power through the receiver and sometimes they will brown out causing a hesitation or loss of power.
Just tried adding a cap and still the same problem... And it is LED's 1 and 5. When I turn it on it doesn't chime, but if I calibrate my radio to the ESC it makes its regular chiming noises...
Old 06-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by WINTER350
Folks all I know there are not many manufacturers that have the brass to come on here and post for us. I want to reiterate to the Tekin Team that you did a great job of taking care of my RX8 problem, thank you again.

If we keep beating on the guys that are trying to help us, does anyone want to guess what the next problem we will have is? That's right they won't come on here and share up to date information. I am thankful that they do come on publically and share info.

I bought alot of high end gear and it has failed me at some point, what is important is that the manufacturer stands behind it like Tekin has been.

I have had the following go back near new.
Kyosho hubs
Futaba 604
Tekin - obviously

What matters to me is how the manufacturer stands behind it. I watched other ESC give drivers problems at our track MM, LRP...So give these guys a fair shot to help you
true dat +1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.