Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yellowtaro
Fred

Could you free up the GT1 esc rule to include ROAR approved non-bosst esc in order to include more racer in that class? I have a KO BMC that I hope to use for the race.
+1
Old 06-21-2011, 10:51 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Fred

Could you free up the GT1 esc rule to include ROAR approved non-bosst esc in order to include more racer in that class? I have a KO BMC that I hope to use for the race.
I'm not a big fan of the ROAR list. Simply put, the ROAR list has speed controls that have "on/off" boost models and ones that don't. Those racers who run the ESC's that don't have the option to turn it on or off will complain about the racers who run ESC's with the choice of boost/no-boost. Did we not see what happened at the ROAR Region 12 race? Anyway, I've personally run the old LRP Sphere (I love that Speedo) and it doesn't have the option to turn on anything. You just have profile choices. For the Fun Races I'll expand the list to include more of the ROAR ESC's that have true "no on/off boost" profiles. So, yes...for the fun races people may run the old sphere and I'll look into the KO ESC and others shortly.

FM
Old 06-22-2011, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Now looking for esc with most built in timing... FTG!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rtypec
Nope...all the approved ESCs have zero built-in timing. Anything that has it isn't on the list.

Make sure to check actual part numbers against the ROAR list!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Just a comment from an interested outsider is that brushless scene seems very complex. Understanding that the days of the venerable Silvercan are numbered, I've been trying to get a handle on this. Perhaps not planning on the immediate purchase of a brushless system has delayed my education. I do have a brushless system that unfortunately I cannot use, so that was a few $$$ down the drain.

Some of what I've gathered so far is that the esc has to be on some sort of list. Also, that you need to make sure it has the proper part #. Also that the motors have to have some sort of colored ring and that needs to be the right color. Do all manufactures use the same colors or was it just a certain manufacturer? Then there is the 17.5,13.5,etc nonsense plus some sort of timing ring. Conversations I've heard around the pits leads me to believe selecting the right esc can be a hazardous venture at best and the best make of esc seems to change every few months. The same seems to apply to motors. Also, you can ask 3 different racers and get 7 different opinions. And those change every couple of months. Some of this is tongue in cheek, BUT a lot is true.

Seems to me that the simplest solution would be to settle on one esc and one motor for each class. Yes, I'm aware of the politics involved, but I also understand that TCS is much less than 1% of r/c racing. No one is going to go out of business cause their motor or esc was not picked to be run in the TCS series. Since there are several classes, pick a different manufacturer in each class.

Point of fact. The most popular classes do not use brushless systems.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Fred,

I too only have the KO BMC brushless speedo. So please look into it and see if we can use it. Thanks !

Anthony
Old 06-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by afung1
Hi Fred,

I too only have the KO BMC brushless speedo. So please look into it and see if we can use it. Thanks !

Anthony
Case in point.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
I'm not a big fan of the ROAR list. Simply put, the ROAR list has speed controls that have "on/off" boost models and ones that don't. Those racers who run the ESC's that don't have the option to turn it on or off will complain about the racers who run ESC's with the choice of boost/no-boost. Did we not see what happened at the ROAR Region 12 race? Anyway, I've personally run the old LRP Sphere (I love that Speedo) and it doesn't have the option to turn on anything. You just have profile choices. For the Fun Races I'll expand the list to include more of the ROAR ESC's that have true "no on/off boost" profiles. So, yes...for the fun races people may run the old sphere and I'll look into the KO ESC and others shortly.

FM
How about Lrp TC Comp Sphere, LRP SXX Stock Comp, or Tekin RS with Boost turned off?

Originally Posted by rtypec
+1
Old 06-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Not sure what the deal is, but all the ROAR escs should either have a blinking led to indicate that they are in a "spec" no timing mode, or they should be a model which is non programmable (GTB, Cirtix club spec, etc).

You have to watch out on some of the older escs. SpeedPassion GT 1.0, LRP Sphere Comp 07, Tc Specs, the KO BMC all have timing capabilities. The KO has a ROAR spec mode if it's updated, and the led on the switch should flash.

The only funny stuff should be the ORCA that got banned at the nats and Tekins using the old 208 (??) software which had timing even in spec mode. The new 212 software blinks 2 leds to differentiate it.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I think that even TCS approved ESC's are not exactly the same in performance. For the fun race, the limit can be loosen a bit. I understand that TCS races will have its rules applied but for the fun race, more combinations of equipment should be included (within reason of course, given the number of people needed to tech turbo ESC in non-turbo mode). Therefore, the compromise is to include non-turbo ESC's for all of Tamiya's fun races. In club races, the distinction would not be this strict.

My hope and intention is to get more people coming out to race in all the classes. Since brushless classes are struggling, let's be more inclusive to more racers.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Granpa
Just a comment from an interested outsider is that brushless scene seems very complex. Understanding that the days of the venerable Silvercan are numbered, I've been trying to get a handle on this. Perhaps not planning on the immediate purchase of a brushless system has delayed my education. I do have a brushless system that unfortunately I cannot use, so that was a few $$$ down the drain.

Some of what I've gathered so far is that the esc has to be on some sort of list. Also, that you need to make sure it has the proper part #. Also that the motors have to have some sort of colored ring and that needs to be the right color. Do all manufactures use the same colors or was it just a certain manufacturer? Then there is the 17.5,13.5,etc nonsense plus some sort of timing ring. Conversations I've heard around the pits leads me to believe selecting the right esc can be a hazardous venture at best and the best make of esc seems to change every few months. The same seems to apply to motors. Also, you can ask 3 different racers and get 7 different opinions. And those change every couple of months. Some of this is tongue in cheek, BUT a lot is true.

Seems to me that the simplest solution would be to settle on one esc and one motor for each class. Yes, I'm aware of the politics involved, but I also understand that TCS is much less than 1% of r/c racing. No one is going to go out of business cause their motor or esc was not picked to be run in the TCS series. Since there are several classes, pick a different manufacturer in each class.

Point of fact. The most popular classes do not use brushless systems.
I agree except for the 1 esc/motor for each class.

You are asking for 2011 version 1 rules that Tamiya had planned which is their system for all classes which is not compatible with the standard 17.5/21.5/25.5 definitions of specs. Sure you could say it is close to a certain given spec but it still is not that spec.

If Tamiya released a spec 17.5/21.5/25.5 at a reasonable price point, I would get it. Until then, SC is the what I will enjoy, will continue to be most popular, until Tamiya dumps it.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I think that even TCS approved ESC's are not exactly the same in performance. For the fun race, the limit can be loosen a bit. I understand that TCS races will have its rules applied but for the fun race, more combinations of equipment should be included (within reason of course, given the number of people needed to tech turbo ESC in non-turbo mode). Therefore, the compromise is to include non-turbo ESC's for all of Tamiya's fun races. In club races, the distinction would not be this strict.

My hope and intention is to get more people coming out to race in all the classes. Since brushless classes are struggling, let's be more inclusive to more racers.
Good intention if no prizes will be awarded. But since there are, esc's like the KO BMC, even if with new software for zero timing, will be faster than the "TCS Legal" esc's. At the X-Ray race at West Coast, the Tekin's and KO's were competitive and people running the Novak GTB, clearly the best of the TCS legal esc's, could not keep up.

Opening up the esc's is opening up Pandora's box again. If it is a "no prize club race", go ahead. But since prizes are being awarded and the race is based on TCS rules, people who will run the TCS legal esc's that they got to run GT-1 this year will be at a disadvantage to some other esc's if allowed. Is that fair to the people who bought new equipment to compete in a certain TCS class this year ?

The GT-1 esc rule for the fun race should be either the current TCS rule or open to any ROAR legal esc rather than start adding just this esc or just that esc because someone wants to run "what they have".
Old 06-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Good intention if no prizes will be awarded. But since there are, esc's like the KO BMC, even if with new software for zero timing, will be faster than the "TCS Legal" esc's. At the X-Ray race at West Coast, the Tekin's and KO's were competitive and people running the Novak GTB, clearly the best of the TCS legal esc's, could not keep up.

Opening up the esc's is opening up Pandora's box again. If it is a "no prize club race", go ahead. But since prizes are being awarded and the race is based on TCS rules, people who will run the TCS legal esc's that they got to run GT-1 this year will be at a disadvantage to some other esc's if allowed. Is that fair to the people who bought new equipment to compete in a certain TCS class this year ?

The GT-1 esc rule for the fun race should be either the current TCS rule or open to any ROAR legal esc rather than start adding just this esc or just that esc because someone wants to run "what they have".
+1
Old 06-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

How about this, GT1 ANY MOTOR ANY ESC...Nut up or shut up class...Bring it! along with spare parts and/or a garbage bag to collect the debris
Old 06-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Tech Adept

If that were to happen, GT2 would explode with entries. BAWK!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.