Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree829Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Having 3 impound motor classes levels everything out. It really does not matter what classes are japan winners, only 3 get to go, they will be most popular and well attended classes @ Nationals.

Everybody is shooting for the big prize, I look past that and question what kind of support the winning 3 get once in J-Land. "Lost in translation" comes into mind, unless you speak Japanese, then you are not respected. Which if GT1 was the Japan class, don't expect to make the podium due to being misinformed. Unless you speak the language fluently or appear to, it will become more of a vacation, instead of a race.

Don't worry about your track time and practice, worry about your fluency in Japanese if you want the "Worlds" prize. Of course you still have to win the Nationals.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by afung1
For national, we have to install the silver can at the tech table and cannot bring back to the pit to tweak. So there is no rpm limit, right ?
I thought that we can purchase one additional motor for the race?
Old 07-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? THE BIG QUESTION

Fred,
I have to ask, if we have one more fun race before the finals and we enter in a class that goes to Japan, does that mean we will qualify to run in that paticular class? You know someone is bound to ask so might as well get it out of the way now!

Inquiring minds need to know!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

So how exactly does the motor impound go? Is their a soldering iron at the tech table, do I get the same motor back every round? Are the brushes already broken in and if not how many runs does it take to seat them w/o a water break in? Do we have the opportunity to clean them at tech?

Sorry for all the questions Its been 6-7 years since I last ran TCS and thought it might be fun to put a car together for nats this year.

Mark
Old 07-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Adept

Default Lots of posts...

HI Guys,
MM - Yes Sir. Well said.
"O" - You once counseled me to carry-on, suck it up and proceed. Well, back at ya man. We all would really miss you at a TCS Nats...
Rod - Like that idea too!
Tommy - 1) Every GT-1 winner already has 3-4 motors...RC racing has NEVER been cheap at the top.
2) Love those handouts!!!
3) Oooh, lighten up Bro Dude...I never got any "undo influence" vibs from MM's post. And we all know Freddy's made of stone. It's good solid TCS stone, though!
4) That's funny.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtveten
So how exactly does the motor impound go? Is their a soldering iron at the tech table, do I get the same motor back every round? Are the brushes already broken in and if not how many runs does it take to seat them w/o a water break in? Do we have the opportunity to clean them at tech?

Sorry for all the questions Its been 6-7 years since I last ran TCS and thought it might be fun to put a car together for nats this year.

Mark
You get a new motor, been checked by Tamiya to be equal to the others.
That's your motor, it's numbered.

You'll get to practice with it, install and remove it in tech (bullet connectors needed), only thing you get to do in the pits is think about the pinion gear you want for next run.

They will oil it each time right before you put it back in your car, just before your race.
No cleaning, dippin or any of that stink.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default tcs

Hopefully there will enouf gt1 cars this year unlike last year,I plan on running gt1 but may pack gt2 parts with me to be safe.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:09 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

For those who have been to the TCS Finals for the past two years know that I have put together a very comprehensive "Drivers Manual" that explains everything about the Finals and how we run tech, do motor impound and what you can and can't do with the spec 540-J motor. The same manual with updated points and parameters will be uploaded on our site before the weekend.

Rest assured all details will be answered.

MAX. That's a good question....A fun race is not a regional qualifier I'm afraid.
Remember how I warned everyone to make sure they ran the classes they thought would be the trip winners late last year?? I bet people ignored my suggestion.
Keep in mind, the rain out race registration will count for your eligible class or classes. Also, keep in mind that the rules say we take into account two years 2010 and 2011. See the TCS main page
Old 07-26-2011, 07:26 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Markus
Nationally, I believe 17.5 'blinky' is usually the biggest class at the club level. All of the tracks that race touring in my area have good turnouts for it. It's usually the largest class week in and week out.

Lots of normal 17.5 racers are turned away because the TCS specs are so specific and particular.
I think the dust has settled and TCS racers are becoming comfortable with the spec'd ESC and Motors. Fred should keep GTI the way it is. Personally, my frustration were that rules for the brushless classes changed yearly (legal bodies, tires, etc) for the last couple of years.

GT1 racing will be good if the spec'd esc's and motors stay the same (no new speedos or motors).

The brushless motor wars are happening right now with all the foolery (crazy advanced timing, tuning rotors, ventilated cans...)
This years ROAR Nationals at Jackson has a 17.5 blinky class and those cars will be insanely fast... no way a GTB2 and a Ballistic could ever hang.

I had a great time at the 2 TCS races near me this year. Good luck to everyone at the TCS Nationals.

My only suggestion for 2012 is to join the rest of the world and have 6 min. qualifiers and mains. Participation is greatly down across the US, so there's plenty of time to finish on Sundays.
I would have to agree. I'm seeing the same thing with 17.5 right now at the club level. Vented this, timed that and voodoo motor manufacture of the week from China. You all know what I mean. I had a local track down the street ask me if I would make "brand X" motor legal for TCS. I asked who makes that motor? The reply I got was funny. "We do. We had it made in China" My retort was simply: "where one can purchase one?" and the answer was only at this track for now. I think you can guess what my answer was to making a motor that's only available from one store legal
I think I've learned from full sized racing series that locking down technology helps keep the series affordable and stable. The motors in play are well supported and generally work well. They may not be the latest and greatest, but I hope everyone can appreciate some stability.
The length of the races do change for the finals. We run 8 minute mains. However, a regional time length adjustment is overdue =)
Old 07-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Laguna Bozo
"O" - You once counseled me to carry-on, suck it up and proceed. Well, back at ya man. We all would really miss you at a TCS Nats...
rest assured i will be there giving it my all as usual in GT2.. but bottom line is i HATE silvercans.. period!!! my favorit'ist'est car (FF03) sits on the shelf today because i hate silvercans so much.. and nope, she wont be coming to Nats.. but she will make an appearance again.. just need to find some brushless friendly folks to play with..

i really am looking forward to Nats..
Old 07-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
rest assured i will be there giving it my all as usual in GT2.. but bottom line is i HATE silvercans.. period!!! my favorit'ist'est car (FF03) sits on the shelf today because i hate silvercans so much.. and nope, she wont be coming to Nats.. but she will make an appearance again.. just need to find some brushless friendly folks to play with..

i really am looking forward to Nats..
You may dislike them as much as me.

Handout and shuffle the silvercans and set gearing for FF03 and I'll even chase the spiders out of mine for the event.
True oversized mini class
Old 07-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Tech Adept

Default Japan

A-Ko,
Very astute observations. I heard similar comments from Timmy, Michael, and other past winners. So what? Well, for me, that means winning our Nats IS the big prize...this is coming from a guy who finished 2nd TWICE in Mini, won GT3 (now GT2) in a non-Japan class that year, so what could I know?
Old 07-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

I know a lot of racers hate the Silvercan for any number of reasons, many of them justified. However, once rpm limits were instituted, it's the fairest and most free of wizardry. Tech is easy cause any idiot can run a motor checker. Almost all of the Silvercan haters I'm sure could with intensive instruction be taught how to run one. Not that they would want to.

I've become a fan of the brushless systems and the many advantages they possess after having to run one in the Mini enduro. It was a relief to find that you could touch one and even have it installed in your own r/c car without suffering severe consequences. It's been over two weeks since Mark installed a brushless system in my Enduro Mini and so far I've exhibited no signs of the Brushless mental derangement syndrome nor have I felt any great urge to convert to the Church of Brushless and it's accompanying fanaticism and hatred of all things coming in a silver can. Wonder if that extends to tuns fish and pork and beans.

While I like the brushless systems, racing them is not what I would elect to do willingly, but without protest if it were mandated. There are just too many different ways to fudge things. Being a polite and caring individual with regard for other people feelings, I won't call this cheating tho some people might. With high tech and complexity, the opportunities expand almost exponentially. There isn't a tech guy around who can catch them all or do it without some fairly sophisticated test equipment.

By the way Orlando, I admire and respect your decision. Your stand seems to be principled and absolute. I'm not nearly as resolute and have been looking into brushless systems as a just in case. Man, they sure are big and ugly. Wires running all over the place and there's no neat way to do an installation on my M03.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Granpa
... Man, they sure are big and ugly. Wires running all over the place and there's no neat way to do an installation on my M03.
give me a few hours alone with it, i'll have your brushless mini all purty-like and and organized..

Old 07-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

Default Bake first, then sauce

Originally Posted by Granpa
I've become a fan of the brushless systems and the many advantages they possess after having to run one in the Mini enduro. It was a relief to find that you could touch one and even have it installed in your own r/c car without suffering severe consequences. It's been over two weeks since Mark installed a brushless system in my Enduro Mini and so far I've exhibited no signs of the Brushless mental derangement syndrome nor have I felt any great urge to convert to the Church of Brushless and it's accompanying fanaticism and hatred of all things coming in a silver can. Wonder if that extends to tuns fish and pork and beans.
Aha! Now we know Granpa's secrets for dipping silver cans! One question, though; is it tuna fish first, then the pork and beans, or the pork and beans first? I gotta write this down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.