Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-27-2010, 07:00 PM
  #14971  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In der Black Forest mit der elves
Posts: 273
Default Rules are for rulers

Originally Posted by gashuffer
I just read up on the TCS rules for FWD. I would like to add different Tamiya side mirrors and the intercooler to the chassis(meaning I would have to cut the front lower grill out). The rules don't mention if it's allowed or not. Does that mean it's not legal? I would like the car to look more scale. I plan on running the TCS race in March.
I hope you're thinking of the ways to decorate the car for Concours, and not how to run it. The first time I "accidentally" hit you, that intercooler's going to go flying.
Having said that, you can put on such things for dressing up the car. You won't really want to cut out the entire front, just the grill opening(s) themselves. You can cover those with some nice screen mesh you glue in from underneath. Tamiya's got a couple of really nice parts trees with these bits, including some cool brake rotors that were great for RCGT. Ah, memories.
Tom Slick is offline  
Old 12-27-2010, 07:02 PM
  #14972  
Tech Regular
 
SilverShelby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Huntsville,AL
Posts: 466
Default

Originally Posted by gashuffer
I just read up on the TCS rules for FWD. I would like to add different Tamiya side mirrors and the intercooler to the chassis(meaning I would have to cut the front lower grill out). The rules don't mention if it's allowed or not. Does that mean it's not legal? I would like the car to look more scale. I plan on running the TCS race in March.

Gashuffer, If you are making a show body,done many like that,
but for racing we can't cut holes in the grill,I'd like to so clod air could hit motor. good luck on your build
M.M.
SilverShelby is offline  
Old 12-27-2010, 11:50 PM
  #14973  
Tech Adept
 
Laguna Bozo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Beach
Posts: 244
Default GT1 speedo

Doc,
Tekins are cool. They are as fast as anybody's, and have some really neat features. Once you get over the "overwhelmed" feeling, you'll love playing with all the stuff. The "stock" setting alleviates much of the complication, because they can be difficult to find a sweet spot in boost mode. Too complicated. But they are really trick.
And they run brushed motors as well as any other "brushed only" speedo, which is pretty amazing. Christian used one last summer to win GT3. But Fred doesn't trust 'em because of the version 208/212 fiasco.
Be careful when soldering these guys, because the slightest wrong +/- touch (one tiny wire hair), and they instantly fry. How do I know?
Laguna Bozo is offline  
Old 12-28-2010, 12:53 AM
  #14974  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (48)
 
gashuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: RcVille
Posts: 5,230
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Tom Slick
I hope you're thinking of the ways to decorate the car for Concours, and not how to run it. The first time I "accidentally" hit you, that intercooler's going to go flying.
Having said that, you can put on such things for dressing up the car. You won't really want to cut out the entire front, just the grill opening(s) themselves. You can cover those with some nice screen mesh you glue in from underneath. Tamiya's got a couple of really nice parts trees with these bits, including some cool brake rotors that were great for RCGT. Ah, memories.
Those are the parts trees i'm talking about. I was thinking about running with it, but the Concourse is a thought now.
gashuffer is offline  
Old 12-28-2010, 05:01 AM
  #14975  
Tech Master
iTrader: (6)
 
g12314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicago, IL.
Posts: 1,294
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rccardr
Is there any objective, measurable performance difference between the variousmotor/ESC combinations that are legal for GT1 this year?

Any hot fanboy preferences?

Not committing, just thinkin'
By utilizing the USVTA ESC list, there is no advantage to any particular ESC. Been running the hurricane series and after 8 minutes we have had the top 3 cars within 5 seconds of each other all using different ESC's.

I will say that the Cirtix fits the TA05 without any issues.

Jimmy
g12314 is offline  
Old 12-28-2010, 08:38 AM
  #14976  
Tech Master
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,195
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Tom Slick
I hope you're thinking of the ways to decorate the car for Concours, and not how to run it. The first time I "accidentally" hit you, that intercooler's going to go flying.
Having said that, you can put on such things for dressing up the car. You won't really want to cut out the entire front, just the grill opening(s) themselves. You can cover those with some nice screen mesh you glue in from underneath. Tamiya's got a couple of really nice parts trees with these bits, including some cool brake rotors that were great for RCGT. Ah, memories.
what's RCGT? was it that series that started grass roots, but had huge potential to possibly save on-road?
teamstrc is offline  
Old 12-28-2010, 09:17 AM
  #14977  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,641
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation Tamiya racing facility !

To whomever it may concern!
Track will be open today around 10:00am,the weather should hold up until tonight but tomorrow doesn't look good. I will post tomorrow if conditions change.
See you there!
maxepower is offline  
Old 12-28-2010, 09:18 AM
  #14978  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
C5R01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The D!
Posts: 151
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gashuffer
I just read up on the TCS rules for FWD. I would like to add different Tamiya side mirrors and the intercooler to the chassis(meaning I would have to cut the front lower grill out). The rules don't mention if it's allowed or not. Does that mean it's not legal? I would like the car to look more scale. I plan on running the TCS race in March.

Tamiya rules state that you can't cut holes for venting or cooling. All holes must be covered to race a body that was modified.
C5R01 is offline  
Old 12-28-2010, 09:49 AM
  #14979  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (8)
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Secret Underground Laboratory
Posts: 2,353
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Laguna- "from the Latin: Boz Outros". Marty can explain that one to you.

I own a Tekin RS but they are not on the approved list for 2011. Was thinking of getting the GTB but they are no longer available and the GTB2 won't be available until some time next month.

Been running the RS with a Duo2 in 17.5 spec (no ESC timing or boost, motor timing OK) since September and did pretty well with my ancient TA05, so I figured the GT1 setup would actually be somewhat slower (fixed motor timing, no boost, no esc timing). Or I could pull out my pristine 414M2. Or just do GT2.

Like I said, just askin', not committing. No plans to do Red Dot BL's anytime soon, although we have been asked to.
rccardr is offline  
Old 12-28-2010, 11:15 AM
  #14980  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 8,202
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by teamstrc
what's RCGT? was it that series that started grass roots, but had huge potential to possibly save on-road?
Another victim of "teh boostz"
robk is offline  
Old 12-28-2010, 11:29 AM
  #14981  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (118)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,265
Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rccardr
Laguna- "from the Latin: Boz Outros". Marty can explain that one to you.

I own a Tekin RS but they are not on the approved list for 2011. Was thinking of getting the GTB but they are no longer available and the GTB2 won't be available until some time next month.

Been running the RS with a Duo2 in 17.5 spec (no ESC timing or boost, motor timing OK) since September and did pretty well with my ancient TA05, so I figured the GT1 setup would actually be somewhat slower (fixed motor timing, no boost, no esc timing). Or I could pull out my pristine 414M2. Or just do GT2.

Like I said, just askin', not committing. No plans to do Red Dot BL's anytime soon, although we have been asked to.

If I'm not mistaken, you can crank the timing on the motor, just NO timing on the ESC.
Chris Furman is offline  
Old 12-28-2010, 02:39 PM
  #14982  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In der Black Forest mit der elves
Posts: 273
Default Operation successful, patient still near death

Originally Posted by teamstrc
what's RCGT? was it that series that started grass roots, but had huge potential to possibly save on-road?
Yeah, you know. Just like sedans were going to save on-road. Just like F103GT's were going to save on-road. Just like LiPo's were going to save on road. Just like rubber tires for F1's were going to save on-road. Just like spec BL speedo's and motors were going to save on-road. And just like FF's are going to save on-road.
You know, after a while, even Superman looks at Lois Lane and says, "That's enough, babe. There's other people on the burning bus I gotta save."
I really thought RCGT was the right idea, and the cars looked so cool.
Tom Slick is offline  
Old 12-28-2010, 05:39 PM
  #14983  
Tech Adept
 
Laguna Bozo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Beach
Posts: 244
Default

OK Marty, what's "Boz Outros"? Sounds like "Old Bozo"... or maybe "stinky Old Bozo"...
Doc, yeah, I mentioned that Fred didn't trust Tekin anymore, with understandably good reason, but they're still trick little units...and a better than most company to deal with fried ones.
Tommy, you're coming home just in time for more bad weather. Sorry... FF03's are haulin' good with SC's, but 3.85 may be just a bit too much gear. All my test motors are a little faster than 17500, so we'll see...
Kuda, whadya learn tody when it got COLDER? Your car looked GREAT mid-day
Laguna Bozo is offline  
Old 12-28-2010, 08:46 PM
  #14984  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brea, Ca
Posts: 149
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Missin out

I think I'm missing out on some of the running that when down today. I picked up an M-06 for X-mas, but not I have a dylema. No body.

Tommy, any M-04/6 bodies for sale in stores nearby??? Alpine or Alfa are cool.

Bill opps, EBR
EB Racer is offline  
Old 12-28-2010, 10:29 PM
  #14985  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,908
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Hi Bozodude,
FF03 stayed good even in the colder evening, like darkness.
Unlike yesterday when me and Max both had em start loopin out.

Can't explain it cuz Max's went to shiznit again and mine stayed planted.

You got a pm too, sir.
F N CUDA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.