R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 04-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #2476
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default D3R or D12X Factory team

Hi Guys,

I am new to the STS motors, have been running the Mugen X12 for a while now.

I would like to try the STS D3R or the D12X Factory team but I can't seem to find what exactly is the difference between the two engine, maybe you can help?

Also which type of glow plugs are you guys running, OS, Novarossi or Mega?

Thanks for your help.
Dpepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:28 PM   #2477
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jfc_tech

Artificial-I, got you covered this. Just PM him for more info.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #2478
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Send a message via MSN to johnhsp Send a message via Yahoo to johnhsp Send a message via Skype™ to johnhsp

yap just want to know sts d5r compare to d12x which one better,no long time no use sts engine,already try nova max,os tz,os speed,palmaris pr12,wasp,so thinking buy sts engine again,can anyone compare this engine thank bro
Power by Rapicon fuel
johnhsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #2479

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhsp
yap just want to know sts d5r compare to d12x which one better,no long time no use sts engine,already try nova max,os tz,os speed,palmaris pr12,wasp,so thinking buy sts engine again,can anyone compare this engine thank bro
STS D5R is a 5 port , 6.5mm carb outlaw motor. This motor is illegal for racing but it is very fast. If your running in club races where 5 port is legal then its a good choice and good for its price.

The D12X is the higher model , normally about $50 dollars more. Its what STS calls "TEAM Edition". Its got a lightweight piston , filled crank and other features which give it more power.

The D12X also comes in an outlaw version which if you can run it , should be even faster.

The engines mentioned. The TZ and OS Speed. I know these motors and they are very fast. With any given motor it seems if it is just 1-2 years old its already being beaten by faster competition.

Given the D12X & D3R/D5R are more than 1-2 years old its hard to say if it will compete. The always good thing is the STS motor cost less than most motors.

All STS motors like hot glow plugs. These motors take Turbo Hot Plugs. I really like the lrp or ae/lrp #6 plug. These motors are shimmed for 30% nitro stock. If you run 30% and your on a big track. Try the #7 plugs.

I also suggest the RB plugs. Those are very nice plugs as well. I dont notice any leaking either when using these plugs.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 01:20 AM   #2480
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Kave

Well I broke in my .21B tonight and I must say I am nothing short of extreamly impressed atm. It has crazy power for the pricetag and appears as if its going to be a very very solid choice in my 8ight. One complaint is the pinch, getting this baby started was a real job, if that counts as a complaint
Kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:13 AM   #2481
Tech Adept

I know what you mean. On my d3r it took about 4 full race days + initial break in to get the engine to turn over easily. If I read and undertstand correctly, my engine is at the point where it will start to really perform.
charlesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:18 AM   #2482

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesd
I know what you mean. On my d3r it took about 4 full race days + initial break in to get the engine to turn over easily. If I read and undertstand correctly, my engine is at the point where it will start to really perform.
LOL yeah its really the main drawback, these motors need a strong mule to kick them over. I wore out my starter wheel trying to break in the .12's.

The bigger motors seem to be easier to turn over as well some are just easier to turn over than others , while some are very tight from the factory. I had one that was so tight I had to remove the piston and polished it some to reduce its tightness. Otherwise I couldnt even start it.

The good thing is , come a gallon or two it keeps getting faster as it loosens up and compression should stay for awhile. Weve got some reports of quite a few gallons through a motor and still going.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 04-28-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:40 PM   #2483
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Slo-MTX4

Can anyone tell me what the standard needle settings are for the D3R?

PODIFIED ENGINES/Trackside RC
Slo-MTX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #2484
Tech Adept

High Speed needle -- 4 turns out from the end
Low Speed needle -- 4 turns out from the end
Mid Range needle—Flush with the housing
Idle -- 0.5mm open
charlesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:55 AM   #2485
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Hey everyone,
I was looking for a engine to run offroad in my RC10GT and it looks to me as if these engines are very impressive for the price tag. I am looking at the STS engines because I am on a budget and need something that is fast. I would like an engine that is comparable to the OS .12 CV-R. There are several different engines that STS has put out, can someone give me an idea what engine would be good to use for a pretty open offroad track. Thanks for your help in advance.

Brandon
oceanhighz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:23 PM   #2486

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanhighz
Hey everyone,
I was looking for a engine to run offroad in my RC10GT and it looks to me as if these engines are very impressive for the price tag. I am looking at the STS engines because I am on a budget and need something that is fast. I would like an engine that is comparable to the OS .12 CV-R. There are several different engines that STS has put out, can someone give me an idea what engine would be good to use for a pretty open offroad track. Thanks for your help in advance.

Brandon
Given your car can only run threaded shaft. Your pretty limited on STS motors. There is a ST12R , meant for off-road. It has a slide carb so youll need to convert your car to handle that if it even can.

Theres other standard shaft motors , but there really kinda hard to say on power. There pretty scarce on info it seems compared to the D3R's. At least you dont really see anyone running them.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #2487
Tech Elite

yea, I know I can get the a SG shaft to work in my car, just figured someone here would know better than I
Old 04-29-2007, 12:41 PM   #2488

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanhighz
yea, I know I can get the a SG shaft to work in my car, just figured someone here would know better than I
Well then D3R might be a good choice , allthough its powerband is setup for on-road. Its the most widely used .12 from STS. Otherwise the ST12R is made to run in a stadium truck or off-road 1/10th scale vehicle.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:26 PM   #2489
Tech Elite

thank you very much, hopefully I'll figure out where to look at the engines, since it seems prohobby.net isn't carrying much right now
Old 04-29-2007, 02:55 PM   #2490
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

sts dealers HERE