Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by baller360
do you know wear i could get it cheaper on the internet or anywhere i could get it on the net? becuase i doubt my lhs will carry it.
Better try at www.ashfordhobby.com or www.atomichobbies.com because serpent USA is very expensive
Old 03-25-2004, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally posted by cox049
Better try at www.ashfordhobby.com or www.atomichobbies.com because serpent USA is very expensive
not really part number 909417 (red springs is $11.99 from Atomic hobbies and is $ 7.95 ifrom serpent ,how do you figure that atomic hobbies is cheaper i have compared the parts and i will still save bying them from serpent

see for your self
Serpent http://www.serpent-usa.com/serpent/ser050_3.html

Atomin Hobby http://www.atomichobbies.com/serpent_710parts.html
Old 03-25-2004, 06:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Marcos.S710
not really part number 909417 (red springs is $11.99 from Atomic hobbies and is $ 7.95 ifrom serpent ,how do you figure that atomic hobbies is cheaper i have compared the parts and i will still save bying them from serpent

see for your self
Serpent http://www.serpent-usa.com/serpent/ser050_3.html

Atomin Hobby http://www.atomichobbies.com/serpent_710parts.html
yeah you're right about Atomic, I guess I got the wrong impression looking at the assembled kits prices... Anyway I'm buying my parts from Ashford and he has 10% off the list prices on parts and lightning fast shipping. I got parts today that I ordered tuesday

Note: To buy something at Ashford you gotta call him -Robert- by phone. Attempting to buy through online orders or email will result frustrating
But than I must say that its really good to be able to talk with him, he races serpent and has great experience and knowledge and gives great advice!

Last edited by cox049; 03-25-2004 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by KevinS
BUT, two universal joints at the same angle eliminate the sinus effect. The first one induces a sinus to the dogbone, the second one creates a sinus with a difference of half a phase, evening it out for the wheelaxle. If you replace one universal joint by a CVD, the sinus effect of the first universal will not be evened out.
Are you referring to the effect of the Ackerman angle (difference between the outside and inside wheel angle) on using the UJ / dogbone? Due to this effect, the outside wheel will have less angle and hence the loss of input speed is lower?

Originally posted by KevinS
So in other words; If it's a CVD I don't want it!
(If it's a universal and 3racings usual quality I don't want it either)
Thanks Kevin for the excellent info. So from what you're saying in the sentence above is that you would neither want a CVD nor a UJ in your car?

On another note to Julius or somebody else, perhaps since the input speed of the driveshaft and the output speed on the wheelaxle is different, that is probably why the front of the 710 is slightly overdriven?
Old 03-25-2004, 06:31 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by markp27
Jesus!! Your German is as bad as D's!
I don't need to know German. The use of the force (or rather Babelfish ) is enough for me !
Old 03-25-2004, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Well I've tried everything on both the second and first gears and they still wobble. I'm just going to try and run them and see what happens? The worst thing that could happen is that the teeth strip and the gears are garbage. So either way they end up in the garbage!
The aluminum 2 speed clutch housing that goes inside the second gear also wobbles a little because of the 2 speed gear wobbling. That shouldn't affect how the 2 speed clutches ingage, should it? The shoes don't rub the housing right now, but there not adjusted yet either. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Tech Adept

Default Supermaxx

How much wobble you got?
Old 03-25-2004, 09:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by SupermaxxRich
Well I've tried everything on both the second and first gears and they still wobble. I'm just going to try and run them and see what happens? The worst thing that could happen is that the teeth strip and the gears are garbage. So either way they end up in the garbage!
The aluminum 2 speed clutch housing that goes inside the second gear also wobbles a little because of the 2 speed gear wobbling. That shouldn't affect how the 2 speed clutches ingage, should it? The shoes don't rub the housing right now, but there not adjusted yet either. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
I had the same problem yesterday as well. Took it out while I was fixing my car and noticed it wobbled a bit. Tried to see what was wrong and couldnt see why it was wobbling so I just put it back again and it stip wobbling Mine wobbled only a bit so if yours is wobbling alot then you might have a defected part. Other than that dont sweat it and run it first. I dont think mine was damaged but it does have some kind of play when its not fully tighten with the e-clip im guessing. So for me im going to put the engine back on and just run it off the ground to see if it wobbles. I think you should just slap it on and see how if it really wobbles or not with the engine running. Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by SupermaxxRich
Maxx, before you throw to garbage, try run it first.
You got nothing to loose.

I wont worry so much, since the spur is the one that having power and then rotating the shaft.
If your shaft is wobbling too thats a problem.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:26 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by cyba888
I dont think mine was damaged but it does have some kind of play when its not fully tighten with the e-clip im guessing. So for me im going to put the engine back on and just run it off the ground to see if it wobbles. I think you should just slap it on and see how if it really wobbles or not with the engine running. Hope this helps.
Perhaps your 2 speed shaft was assembled to have too much sideway lateral movement? Make sure that it has only very little side lateral movement. Loosen the 22T side pulley on the main 2 speed shaft and move it closer towards the bulkhead / chassis.

Most of the time, people assemble it tightly and with no side lateral play at all on the main shaft and causes the drive train to bind.

While you're doing this, make sure the 24T brake pulley does not rub or get in the way of the engine crankcase footing. Else, just remount it.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Well took another look at it and this is what I have come up with. The second gear runs perfect if I pull the 6x13 bearing out. As soon as I put it in, it starts wobbling again? The first gear on the one way still wobbles, quite a bit!!! I think I'm going to try and tweek it a little. Then I'm just going to try and run it and see what happens. If they strip then I'll just buy new ones. I'll let you know if I'm able to get rid of some of the wobble. Later...
Old 03-25-2004, 09:31 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by GoldFinger
If your shaft is wobbling too thats a problem.
Agreed. If your engine crankshaft wobbles, then it's a bigger problem !
Old 03-25-2004, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Also guys, if you have a chance, please check out my question in the Nitro Engine forum. I started a new post. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Slightly off topic: does anyone know the dimensions of the Hudy shocks? Are they the same size or smaller than the Serpent ones - I'm wanting to try some out on my Surikarn if they fit.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by InitialD
For me, I suggest NOT to use the kit tires. Use your own tires 40 shore front and rear. It will eliminate the understeering with the stock setup. If it's still understeering (which I doubt), play with simple things such as shock angles and anti roll bar. You could make the rear shock more vertical (up one hole) for better turn in and stay with a harder rear antiroll bar setup for more front traction.
It has been the contrary here in Atlanta. Though I have gotten my car to work pretty well, I am still searching for more steering. As far as the "sweet spot" goes, the car was way off in the beginning with both straight axle and one-way configurations. I have raced twice with the car, and still have not gotten enough "set-up" time due to engine and radio problems. We all have been dealing with push problems with our new cars, but it is getting better.

One positive note...Even with the current problems, I have already turned faster lap times than I did with my 705.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.