R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-25-2004, 04:40 AM   #6826
Tech Fanatic

Do any of your guys know what is meant by 'degree' with regards to tyres. and how are Power tyres?
BaxterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 04:43 AM   #6827
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinS
Anen't those 3racing... things... universals and not CVD's? There is a difference...
If so, what is the difference?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 04:46 AM   #6828
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by BaxterC
Do any of your guys know what is meant by 'degree' with regards to tyres. and how are Power tyres?
Power tires are quite good. They are from GRP family of tires.

Can you give an example of what number is associated with regards to the "degree" of the tire?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 04:57 AM   #6829
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Power tires are quite good. They are from GRP family of tires.

Can you give an example of what number is associated with regards to the "degree" of the tire?
This is what it looks like, it looks like shore,

Proline Nitro Shoes 26mm 35 DEGREE (0 OFF-SET)

What are proline nitro shoes like? I may just go for GQ, I know for you Dee, they dont last long. I am thinking of getting a body for Tower, maybe I will get tires too from them as RC-Mushroom dont have many.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:20 AM   #6830
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
This is what it looks like, it looks like shore,

Proline Nitro Shoes 26mm 35 DEGREE (0 OFF-SET)

What are proline nitro shoes like? I may just go for GQ, I know for you Dee, they dont last long. I am thinking of getting a body for Tower, maybe I will get tires too from them as RC-Mushroom dont have many.
Never seen it exrpressed like this, but it must mean the shore of the tyre, i.e. the hardness rating.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 05:20 AM   #6831
Tech Fanatic

Mark and Dee... Have you noticed that rccarinternational have still not shipped my order? this is abnormal I am sure.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:26 AM   #6832
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Never seen it exrpressed like this, but it must mean the shore of the tyre, i.e. the hardness rating.
Thank you, I thought as much... Have you got your order yet mark?
Old 03-25-2004, 05:47 AM   #6833
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
Mark and Dee... Have you noticed that rccarinternational have still not shipped my order? this is abnormal I am sure.
Sometimes it does happen - they are normally quite quick. It depends upon what you order - if it is something which not a lot of people order then it takes a bit longer. I'm waiting for a light weight propellor shaft for my Surikarn (sorry for swearing ), which may take a while to get in stock.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 05:57 AM   #6834
Tech Fanatic

Oh right... I hope they are quick... I hope everything arrives at arounf the same sort of time as I would like to collect it all, but then I will need to get someone to help me with all the stuff...... LOTS OF BIG BOXES!!!
Old 03-25-2004, 06:07 AM   #6835
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
If so, what is the difference?
Standard dogbones are universal joints. A pin connects both wheelaxle and driveshaft. When there is an angle between the driveshaft and wheelaxle, the output speed is not the same as the input speed, but forms a sinus function with the input speed as the average. I think the 3racing joint is a universal joint, the only difference being that the dogbone is fixed inside the wheelaxle, so you don't lose your dogbone so easily.

A CVD (Constant Velocity Driveshaft) is constructed in a different manner to eliminate the difference in output speed. A good example is the homokinetic coupling thats used for driveshafts of most modern cars.

BUT, two universal joints at the same angle eliminate the sinus effect. The first one induces a sinus to the dogbone, the second one creates a sinus with a difference of half a phase, evening it out for the wheelaxle. If you replace one universal joint by a CVD, the sinus effect of the first universal will not be evened out.

So in other words; If it's a CVD I don't want it!
(If it's a universal and 3racings usual quality I don't want it either)
KevinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:21 AM   #6836
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Standard dogbones are universal joints. A pin connects both wheelaxle and driveshaft. When there is an angle between the driveshaft and wheelaxle, the output speed is not the same as the input speed, but forms a sinus function with the input speed as the average. I think the 3racing joint is a universal joint, the only difference being that the dogbone is fixed inside the wheelaxle, so you don't lose your dogbone so easily.

A CVD (Constant Velocity Driveshaft) is constructed in a different manner to eliminate the difference in output speed. A good example is the homokinetic coupling thats used for driveshafts of most modern cars.

BUT, two universal joints at the same angle eliminate the sinus effect. The first one induces a sinus to the dogbone, the second one creates a sinus with a difference of half a phase, evening it out for the wheelaxle. If you replace one universal joint by a CVD, the sinus effect of the first universal will not be evened out.

So in other words; If it's a CVD I don't want it!
(If it's a universal and 3racings usual quality I don't want it either)
I know what you mean although you lost me when you started talking about an allergy (sinus). I must just say that a dogbone has a lot more friction because the pins 'rub' in the cups but with a 'universal' has les as it runs on an axis with an axel and another axis with an axel at 90 degrees. if you understand what I am saying. A FWD car has CV Joints or I would imagine CVDs, if they work for big cars, why not for little cars... Dont get me wrong... if it isn't made by serpent, it isn't made for me. If serpent releases CVDs, I will look at them, but till then, I will not.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:36 AM   #6837
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I know what you mean although you lost me when you started talking about an allergy (sinus). I must just say that a dogbone has a lot more friction because the pins 'rub' in the cups but with a 'universal' has les as it runs on an axis with an axel and another axis with an axel at 90 degrees. if you understand what I am saying. A FWD car has CV Joints or I would imagine CVDs, if they work for big cars, why not for little cars... Dont get me wrong... if it isn't made by serpent, it isn't made for me. If serpent releases CVDs, I will look at them, but till then, I will not.
I could not find a decent picture of a CV or a CVD, but here is a universal, I mush more efficient joint if you ask me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg universal joint.jpg (2.6 KB, 78 views)
Old 03-25-2004, 06:39 AM   #6838
Tech Regular

Err... sinus... Don't know if thats the right word in English. It's the sin function on a calculator. (sin, cos, tan)

www.freetranslation.com isn't helping either!
KevinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:44 AM   #6839
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Err... sinus... Don't know if thats the right word in English. It's the sin function on a calculator. (sin, cos, tan)

www.freetranslation.com isn't helping either!
OH, I see what you mean... SIN. Try this site for an explanation.

http://www.me.metu.edu.tr/me308/usefulinf.htm

It is slow but looks interesting
Old 03-25-2004, 06:53 AM   #6840
Tech Fanatic

Meiner 710 werden schnell sein.. Dee kann schneller tippen und dies ist nur ein kleiner Witz für Mark oder irgendjemand sonst, der Deutsch lesen kann..

Sorry...

Here is a better pic...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg universal_joint.jpg (8.9 KB, 85 views)