R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-15-2004, 12:41 PM   #4411
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Sorry guys, Am I missing something? Where is the FAQ Page?? Also, I was reading in the Starting Grid that Art(Team Serpent Designer and etc...) was saying that he fixed the sluggish clutch issues by just changing the spring. He gave a part #, I'll post it when I get a chance.
SupermaxxRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 02:26 PM   #4412
Tech Adept

Default Front Roll Centre Adjustment!

Guys,

As discussed last week, i lowered the front roll centre to see what impact it would have on my mid corner steering. I gave it a try yesterday afternoon and the car feels spot on, i can really hold the apex off the corner now. But then the tyres went off again. Can't blame them the tack surface was still 47 degrees at 4 o'clock in the afternoon

SN
S710_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 02:56 PM   #4413
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

This is what "Art" does for a bang on clutch. He uses a #909518 spring. End play is set per Serpent specifications. Art doesn't check the distance to the adjusting nut. He says he just turns it in or out until it works the way he wants it to.
Art said with this setup the clutch is right on the money.
SupermaxxRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 02:57 PM   #4414
Tech Addict

Mark- awesome job on the Faq page. Thats just what is needed for the 710. I tried to do one on the TC3 but not even close to as nice as you did.
CraigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 03:08 PM   #4415
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

do not forget to mod the weights, on the high bite tracks you will get way too much clutch slippage, you can run the stock spring just fine as long as you do the mod to the weights.. initall posted a pic earlier in the thread.. the problem is the shoes are too as much.
light.. so you need to allow them to have more mass to push with.. hopefully there will be a yellow set of shoes avalable that has more weight I perfered how the cen II worked with the yellow shoe pivoting.

on a low bite track the stock settings would be much easier to drive, and you would most likley not notice the slippage nearly

MMR Direct Minneapolis World Class Indoor Race Facility.
On Road and Off Road racing year round.

www.molzermoweryracing.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MMR/160679913944205?__req=9

Check out You Tube mmrswracing. Every qualifier and every main uploaded at the end of every race day.
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 04:56 PM   #4416
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Clutc Problems

Thanks to all you guys for helping me out with my clutch. I will take all your advice and try them out this weekend. Again, my sincerest thanks to you all
JPRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:09 PM   #4417
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: INITIAL (D) ;) 710 FAQ

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Hi Guys,

due to bad weather, there was no change to drive today. As I'm still waiting for my 710, I thought I'd use my time usefully and go through all the posts in this forum and pick out the ones which are useful to me - a little FAQ.

If there is anything missing or incorrect let me know and I'll try and update it.

NOTE: the pdf contains comments from many posters, but their names aren't mentioned - it was too much effort to identify who was the original poster sometimes.

Cheers, Mark.
You deserve all the credit Mark. I think the snakes should pays you the royalty for doing that

With your name still printed on the top of the page, can I use your file outside this forum ?
GoldFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 06:41 PM   #4418
Tech Master

Default Re: Front Roll Centre Adjustment!

Quote:
Originally posted by S710_Nut
Guys,

As discussed last week, i lowered the front roll centre to see what impact it would have on my mid corner steering. I gave it a try yesterday afternoon and the car feels spot on, i can really hold the apex off the corner now. But then the tyres went off again. Can't blame them the tack surface was still 47 degrees at 4 o'clock in the afternoon

SN
About the Apex, you can hold it becuase of more steering than before? or the rear does not spin as before (on throttle)
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 06:54 PM   #4419
Tech Master

Default Re: Read all about it

Quote:
Originally posted by afm
Congratulations Fmolzer!!!!
What a great coverage by you man!!!!!!
You should be a journalist. You made us feel as if we where there, so I took the liberty of cleaning up your web post and reprinting it below for everybody to read again.
Thanks
AFM

1/10th Sedan A main
We have a few rain drops as the warm up happens, could be a big issue for the drivers ...the drivers are being introduced, tension is really really high.

Burch starts out pulling in the lead, within 5 minutes Swauger pulled into the lead, and was running away with the race, pulled on the field.
Currently at the 10 minute mark, Fukuda, is in second, Burch in third, Salven in fourth, Swauger has traction rolled once. can he hold the pace?

Swauger stalled on the pit, Fukuda takes on the lead, followed by Burch, Swauger is running, and back on the track. The chase is on.

With 15 minutes mark, Salven pulls his pipe off in the back stretch, Burch is running third, Swauger is chasing Fukuda hard….. 13.1 second laps trying to reel in Fukuda.

With 16 minutes left Swauger pulls back into the lead, he has definitely horsepower. Pulling down the back stretch…… Swauger, Fukuda, Burch....

15 minutes left, Swauger has a body catch on a pit, Fukuda goes back into the lead....Swauger pulls under Fukuda in the carrousel.

Problems in the pit.. Swauger goes a lap down to Fukuda.. now Fukuda, Swauger, Burch..

Swauger smacking the walls looking to catch.

Swauger and Burch closing on Fukuda.

End of the race, Swauger (Mugen MTX3) took the win.. Fukuda (Mugen MTX3) in second, Burch (Serpent 710) in third..............

Mike Swauger was ballistic. and dominated the whole race.

Congrats. FMOLZER
Great coverage!!!

I tought those kind of things can only happened in my local race

Being a TQ, I would say no problem on both engine performance and driving skill (assuming only, didn`t watch the race). The end result really just a waste of a great time. But the good things is now no shock breaking? only not using `liking` or `supposed to be` engine? maybe by the end of this year I might be releasing a book called `1001 Excuses`.
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 07:19 PM   #4420
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by ammdrew
hopefully there will be a yellow set of shoes avalable that has more weight I perfered how the cen II worked with the yellow shoe pivoting.
Centax II with the yellow shoe flyweights? The Centax II had the same black material flyweights as the Centax 3. Just that the flyweights on the Centax II were larger. Part number is 909515. The stock Centax II clutch shoes were the yellow ones as oppose to the higher bite XP ones on the Centax 3.

Perhaps you're right about the mass of the flyweights ! We should probably put some ball bearings in them to add weight !
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 07:19 PM   #4421
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Front Roll Centre Adjustment!

Quote:
As discussed last week, i lowered the front roll centre to see what impact it would have on my mid corner steering. I gave it a try yesterday afternoon and the car feels spot on, i can really hold the apex off the corner now.
Cool ! So the front upper arms are raised up now I assume...

Quote:
But then the tyres went off again. Can't blame them the tack surface was still 47 degrees at 4 o'clock in the afternoon
Ah, the perils of running rubber tires... Give foams a try !
Old 02-15-2004, 07:21 PM   #4422
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by SupermaxxRich
This is what "Art" does for a bang on clutch. He uses a #909518 spring.
I think ammdrew is right. If you mount the flyweights differently between the pins, the stock spring is plenty stiff enough as the flyweights come out pretty agressively. Then you can tighten the pre-adjusting nut pretty deep in. I have mine at about 1.2 mm and the engine does not rev high when the clutch starts engaging without slipping.

Quote:
Originally posted by SupermaxxRich
End play is set per Serpent specifications. Art doesn't check the distance to the adjusting nut. He says he just turns it in or out until it works the way he wants it to.Art said with this setup the clutch is right on the money.
Perhaps if you mount the flyweights as per the manual, I think you need to loosen the pre-tension spring a lot. By loosening it so that it engages, the tendency of the clutch slipping is high as the stock Centax spring is "too weak" to hold the clutch shoes onto the clutch bell. Hence the change to a stronger spring was better for Art. Just my thought.

But anyways, Art is right on the money with regards to setting the pre-tension nut. Set it on the track to get the best punch. So happen that I turned mine down at 1.2 mm from the get go and it worked flawlessly. No tuning required.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:07 PM   #4423
Tech Fanatic

If I hit the brakes and my car turns left what adjustments do I need to do.
One other question is at high speeds when you slam on the brakes could it be possible your car can stop without turning at all, just like a real car?
Futaba 4PX
cyba888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 08:16 PM   #4424
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by cyba888
If I hit the brakes and my car turns left what adjustments do I need to do.
I think you're not making any attempt to read ! Read the thread above and also the FAQ. You need to check for tweak in the car. Also, your brakes cannot be set hard. Just enough to make the car slow down and not lock the rear wheels. Limit the rear droop as much as you possibly can and tighten your rear diff for harder diff action.

Quote:
Originally posted by cyba888
One other question is at high speeds when you slam on the brakes could it be possible your car can stop without turning at all, just like a real car?
Firstly, a real car does not come with a front one way ! So with 4WD braking, any car will stop nicely.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:46 PM   #4425
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Ummm, what characteristics of the car you hope to look for and achieve by doing this? Better / sharper cornering radius?
Sharper cornering without bleeding speed.
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote