R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-29-2004, 10:27 PM   #3661
Tech Apprentice

My big Ofna box works for both my 835 and 710. I have one single post in the rear that goes in the rearward inner hole of the lower left arm on both cars.

One more shot of the shop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg setup area.jpg (58.1 KB, 152 views)
Doug Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 10:30 PM   #3662
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Darby
A shot of my RC shop for grins...
Woow ! I could have sworn that was my wifey's kitchen ! Nice and neat !
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 10:33 PM   #3663
Tech Apprentice

Yeah.. too neat.. I am almost embarrassed by it. I got rained out racing last Saturday, and as All the cars were ready, and packed for racing I dedided to spend about 5 hours cleaning shop. What you see is the result.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg storage area.jpg (56.3 KB, 148 views)
Old 01-29-2004, 10:34 PM   #3664
Tech Prophet

Quote:
My big Ofna box works for both my 835 and 710. I have one single post in the rear that goes in the rearward inner hole of the lower left arm on both cars.
Doug, perhaps you could shoot a pic of your Ofna starter box. I actually bought the 1510 Universal mouting set for the Serpent starter box in the hopes that I can start my 710 as well as start the 705 ! I have not used it yet. Has anybody done this?
Old 01-29-2004, 10:37 PM   #3665
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Yeah.. too neat.. I am almost embarrassed by it. I got rained out racing last Saturday, and as All the cars were ready, and packed for racing I dedided to spend about 5 hours cleaning shop. What you see is the result.
Cool. I wish I can convince my wifey to convert part of her kitchen for my RC purposes ! That would be my next project.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:48 PM   #3666
Tech Apprentice

Tonight I ran the complete setup routine on the 710, starting with droop (downstops) and working all the way through the final step on the Tweak board. After getting the car perfect on the tweak station, I decided to try the other method of checking tweak by lifting the rear of the car using a pointed object in the v of the rear shock tower. When I did this both rear tires picked up off the board at exactly the same time as I would have anticipated.

The front was a different story. Continually one tire lifted about 1.5mm higher that the other. After checking the shocks completely and setting hteir length exactly the same and having the rebound exactly the same, I tried it with the sway bar unhooked as well as hooked, and saw no change. Each time I lifted the front of the car carefully from the middle screw of the bumper the left front tire lifted first by 1.5mm. My last resort was to try adjusting the droop (downstop) of the right front arm. By doing so I was able to get the front tires to lift exactly at the same time. I then put the car back on the tweak station and it was almost exactly centered as it had been before I started this ordeal. I then removed the tires to see what I had done to the droop and as I anticipated the right side was set at about 2 while the left was still on 0.

My intuition tells me that the car should perform better with the wheels lifting simultaneously, but I sure can not figure out why the droop (downstop) settings are so far apart to get it to lift both wheels simultaneously. I keep thinking there must be something wrong in the front end parts.

Your thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00012.jpg (57.8 KB, 138 views)
Old 01-29-2004, 10:53 PM   #3667
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Alastair, you don't come out rude and I can understand your frustration. Please bear with some of us with some of our light humour. I think some of us are bore shit at work !

Anyway, perhaps to start the ball rolling, you could relate your 710 experrience. Your likes and dislikes would be nice. Then perhaps we could start to have more useful discussions on any issues that you've found.
I don't race tourers I race a 950-R 8th scale. Though I like to keep up with what is happening with the 710 as we have customers who race the car.

Maybe if your bored at work you could use MS Messenger to chat to each other and leave the forum for 710 conversations.

Cheers Alastair
quozl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 10:54 PM   #3668
Tech Apprentice

It's almost midnight here in Texas so I will get a pic of my ofna box with the car and post tomorrow and post tomorrow evening.

For what it's worth I started following this forum at about page 30 and since then have bought, built, raced, an loved my new 710. Lots of nice gems on this site. Having to search for them is just part of the fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1fast1.jpg (11.3 KB, 137 views)
Old 01-29-2004, 10:57 PM   #3669
Tech Prophet

Quote:
My intuition tells me that the car should perform better with the wheels lifting simultaneously, but I sure can not figure out why the droop (downstop) settings are so far apart to get it to lift both wheels simultaneously. I keep thinking there must be something wrong in the front end parts.
Doug, have you played around with the rotary cam that comes with the front sway bar? After setting the front droop, install the front sway bar and then rotate the rotary cam till you get both sides equal droop.

What I do on the tweak station is besides the normal static balance, I press on the front end to lift the rear side to check the balance. Likewise for the front end too.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:59 PM   #3670
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
Cool. I wish I can convince my wifey to convert part of her kitchen for my RC purposes ! That would be my next project.
Make sure your medical insurance is up-to-date before asking
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 11:01 PM   #3671
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Make sure your medical insurance is up-to-date before asking
Mark, unless you've pics or questions to post on the 710 forum, we're told to use the MSN Messenger for these kind of things !
Old 01-29-2004, 11:04 PM   #3672
Tech Elite

Quote:
Doug, have you played around with the rotary cam that comes with the front sway bar? After setting the front droop, install the front sway bar and then rotate the rotary cam till you get both sides equal droop.

What I do on the tweak station is besides the normal static balance, I press on the front end to lift the rear side to check the balance. Likewise for the front end too.
Hey, that's not a bad idea!!!! I always left the trick with the rotary cam until last, but to do it for the droop seems like a much better idea!!!

Cheers, Mark.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:08 PM   #3673
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by quozl
I don't race tourers I race a 950-R 8th scale. Though I like to keep up with what is happening with the 710 as we have customers who race the car.

Maybe if your bored at work you could use MS Messenger to chat to each other and leave the forum for 710 conversations.

Cheers Alastair
If you look at the way the conversations go, then you'll see a lot of the time a little bit of humour is intermingeled with some good info - it's what makes it nice here that you actually don't have to be serious about everything 100% of the time and I think you get more help and a better understanding of the people on this forum.

This forum has character!!! I'm happy the way it is!

Maybe someone can write a humour filter for the "boring" posts, just like my nitro dirt filter "Copyright 2003" for photoshop
Old 01-29-2004, 11:09 PM   #3674
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jfc_tech

Quote:
Mark, unless you've pics or questions to post on the 710 forum, we're told to use the MSN Messenger for these kind of things !
Meaning we no longer can laugh around here....warrrrrghhhh

ok im serious. Seven Ten it is. Yea its a good car. Yea i like it. yea quite cheap now. Yes, im serious.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:10 PM   #3675
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by quozl

Cheers Alastair
Well, I don't mean to be rude either, but I've read your posts before and along with the hundreds of quality technical posts you've made, you've also had IM style conversations on this forum (maybe not in this particular thread). I think it's perfectly healthy to have some humor sprinkled in.
EuroKRN is offline   Reply With Quote