R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-12-2004, 10:07 PM   #2911
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Congratulations ... goes to show that a tamed and mastered 705 can still kick butt!
Oh yes. It kicks butt and it hurts the competition to know an "old" designed car still does that.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 10:08 PM   #2912
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Pit-racer
Ran my 705 this past sat. and T.Q.'d and won the main. Modified ns12 and hand modified by Palmaris Racing. I finally learn my car ....now it's time for a 710.
Congrats Pit !
Old 01-12-2004, 10:11 PM   #2913
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by clmbia45
Tearing down the car after the weekend, for routine maintenance, and could not remove the 2 speed clutch shoes.
Despite having torqued and using locktite on the grub screw the retaining pin had migrated to one side, locking the shoes in place. After removing the grub screw the pin was easily moved and the shoes came right out. I'm going to grind an indent on the pin to allow the grub screw to seat in the middle of the pin and not migrate.
For me, I just do not use the grub screw to lock the pin anymore. Works fine and less troublesome.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:48 PM   #2914
Tech Regular

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
http://www.mytsn.com/setups/setup.asp?sid=1552
Thank you InitialD, and thank you Andrew! Did you really have your front wheels toed IN?
clmbia45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 10:51 PM   #2915
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Thank you InitialD, and thank you Andrew! Did you really have your front wheels toed IN?
I'll try to scan and post Michael Salven's setup sheet he did for his car in the recent Serpent Asia race in Thailand. Perhaps the guys going to Ft Myers would find it good.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:02 PM   #2916
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kreidel

Quote:
I'll try to scan and post Michael Salven's setup sheet he did for his car in the recent Serpent Asia race in Thailand. Perhaps the guys going to Ft Myers would find it good.
Did he run it with the DRS active?
kreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:10 PM   #2917
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by kreidel
Did he run it with the DRS active?
Nope. It was set to neutral. Ok from what I can remember off my head, basically he used 35 wt Serpent shock oils with 4 hole open all around. Started with all yellow springs. Later on the A main, he changed to all red and he felt that it was a bad decission as all yellow felt better for him.

No front sway bar. Back sway bar is set 3 mm from the tip. Front roll center set to have 4 mm spacer shims below the arm (lowest roll center). In the rear, shorter upper arm with the lower inserts set to the top (UBO / LT) to give higher rear roll center. Rear diff set to very tight. Caster is 3 mm spacer in the front of the upper arm. Downstops 0 in front and 6 in the rear. Tires were 62 mm 40 shore all around. That's about all I can remember.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:21 PM   #2918
Tech Regular

Exclamation

InitialD, that was a great report, and thanks. I have found that on our dusty track, the 2 speed got dirtier than on any other car I've driven, including in the one way bearing. I'm afraid that this will be a big problem in the dustier climates.
So this brings us to what should be a good disscussion: how best to clean dirt out of one way bearings, without injuring, mechanically or chemically, those little plastic races?????
clmbia45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:32 PM   #2919
Tech Prophet

Quote:
InitialD, that was a great report, and thanks.
Not a problem. I think I'm just good at reporting and "racing" in the forums ! Not racing on the track.

Quote:
I have found that on our dusty track, the 2 speed got dirtier than on any other car I've driven, including in the one way bearing. I'm afraid that this will be a big problem in the dustier climates.
It's true. The 2 speed clutch shoes get dirty on dusty tracks. Well, for me I clean the the 2 speed shoes and oil the one way bearing on a weekly basis whenever possible. My one way bearing rarely got dirty. Just the 2 speed shoes needed cleaning.

Quote:
So this brings us to what should be a good disscussion: how best to clean dirt out of one way bearings, without injuring, mechanically or chemically, those little plastic races?????
A good nitro cleaner should do the trick of cleaning the one way bearing. Blow it out with compress air. Let it dry and then lube the shaft on the 2 speed shoe that goes into the one way bearing with the Serpent one way bearing lube. One drop will do and smear it all around the shaft surface into thin layer.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:07 AM   #2920
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Mr D are you going to post a report of your experience on mytsn? :-) Would be nice to read your report.

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 01:14 AM   #2921
Tech Elite

Quote:
Later on the A main, he changed to all red and he felt that it was a bad decission as all yellow felt better for him.

D, seems that lots of them were using red springs. Why?

Quote:
No front sway bar. Back sway bar is set 3 mm from the tip.

Was he trying to get more steering? The rear was too grippy?

Quote:
Front roll center set to have 4 mm spacer shims below the arm (lowest roll center).

Lowering the roll center is an attempt to increase on-power steering? I guess so, the track pictures show it to be large and sweeping.

Quote:
In the rear, shorter upper arm with the lower inserts set to the top (UBO / LT) to give higher rear roll center. Rear diff set to very tight.

If I assume that raising the roll-center brings it closer to the CG then was Michael trying to reduce rear chassis roll hence again reducing rear grip?

Sorry for the many questions, I'm trying to understand these adjustments.
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 01:47 AM   #2922
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Mr D are you going to post a report of your experience on mytsn? :-) Would be nice to read your report.
Oh no ! That would be washing dirty linen in public !

I'll just try to post it here or on the Serpent Asia Challenge thread whatever I can remember.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:02 AM   #2923
Tech Prophet

Quote:
D, seems that lots of them were using red springs. Why?
No really. I would say half of us were using all yellow. Half of them were using all red. Why? Because I think people were trying to find traction ! Suruth was using all red.

Quote:
Was he trying to get more steering? The rear was too grippy?
I guess so. I actually did not pay too much attention on Friday afternoon when he tested his car. He said he went out with the stock settings and made those changes and felt the car was good. He did not like the stock setup on that track.

Quote:
Lowering the roll center is an attempt to increase on-power steering? I guess so, the track pictures show it to be large and sweeping.
It's greasy too. There was a tricky chicane (perhaps not so tricky for some ) that would make you fast if you had a lot of on power steering.

Quote:
If I assume that raising the roll-center brings it closer to the CG then was Michael trying to reduce rear chassis roll hence again reducing rear grip?
Yes, I may guess that he was doing just that. Perhaps all this difference has got to do with him using 4 holes in the shock pistons. And yes, he also used the softer red shock membranes.

Quote:
Sorry for the many questions, I'm trying to understand these adjustments.
No problem. I was trying to digest them too when I chatted with him ! Imagine being tired and all after practise. He was nice and patient to sit and talk about the setup. He said he did not play with the shock angles and other stuff. Perhaps there are many different ways of attacking the problem.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:01 AM   #2924
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

MR D, your mail box is full, I can't send a PM to you
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 03:39 AM   #2925
Tech Rookie

Quote:
But then again, one man's meat is another's poison !
Old Chap.. looks like your meat turns out to be your own poison too.
oldcake is offline   Reply With Quote