R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-12-2003, 12:09 PM   #241
Tech Fanatic

Serpent has been releasing their cars about a year apart:

impulse
impulse streetspec
impulse pro

These are all very close to one year apart on release dates. OH MY GOD! THE NERVE OF A COMPANY TO CHANGE THEIR CAR EVERY YEAR! (sarcasm)
Last time I checked, all full size cars do the same exact thing, update a car every year.

Serpent did not even change that much from car to car. The impulse is just about as competitive as the 705. They are basically the same cars. I don't know where the impression came that serpent releases a car every 4 months or less.

Besides, many racers change cars every 4 months anyway. Serpent is doing no wrong, and the impulse/705 had a good run. There are always going to be things to update. Besides, I can think of other rc companies that release cars more often.

I am excited to buy this thing, way more than I was to buy a 705.

BTW...I hope all these serpent Big Dawgs stick around after the car is released. It is great having the input from pro drivers. Where is Ralph and Michael? We need to get some team driver trash talking started !
Old 11-12-2003, 12:20 PM   #242
Tech Regular

FYI - Ralph Burch left Serpent.

I agree on the release thing, its good to update the cars. That was why I loved Serpent, until the Veteq. I hope this isn't one of those. I'll wait and see.

The fact they are including the ability to not run the Active Rear makes me leary. Will it be too complex for most? Isn't fully understood? If it is that good and easy to use everyone would want it, so why include the ability to not use it? Could just be that it depends on the driver or the track. We'll see.

johan - i totally disagree with Mugen getting everything right. They haven't innovated a thing. They rip Serpent off every chance they get. Their cars are ok but they are copies.
treky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 12:55 PM   #243
Tech Adept

Angry READ THE THREAD TITLE: SERPENT 710

READ THE THREAD TITLE: SERPENT 710
Take your other cars to another thread!

Why do all the NON Serpent drivers FEAR the new 710. If Mugen is making a new car (maybe stealing an idee) you don't hear us Serpent drivers! PLEASE let us drive what we want and have fun with it. You're not going to get me to drive another brand so please stay on your own Mugen,Asso/HPI/.... thread THX.

And if you want to know how good (or bad, NOT!) the 710 is wait and see on your track and at the races!
Schrijver99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 01:28 PM   #244
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hear hear!
GlennCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 02:34 PM   #245
Tech Regular

GlennCauley, you are right on the money ! Serpent is a company that produce race cars, due to the competitive nature of the game, they are forced to keep improving their designs. Occasionally there will be designs that do not live up to the hopes of the creators (this happens in real life as well, anyone remember the 6 wheel Tyrell F1 car that was a great design but did not have tire technology to support it...?) But this is simply the nature of the game. Maybe I am extreme, but when I go to a bigger race I really like to come with a new built car that represents the latest technology, so for me I'd welcome a new car release every 12 months. Locally, I still race my old impulse pro, that car has now become a durability test car, it has 2 full seasons on it and is incredibly worn, still it keeps up with many of the more modern cars on a local level. Keep your old cars and race them as much as you want to, nothing wrong with that, but stop hacking on a company that is trying to develop new and better machines for us to play with. This happens in real racing and it will surely happen here too. It's called progress. If we had no progress, we would still be driving 2WD 1/8 scale cars with 1 HP engines, single speed transmissons and no suspension other than chassis flex. How much fun would that be... Really....
fmolzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 02:51 PM   #246
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by treky11
FYI - Ralph Burch left Serpent.
Correction, Ralph Burch doesn’t WORK for Serpent anymore but still drives for them.

It is funny to see the other mfg. owners come on this thread to bash Serpent. Makes you think what they are really felling.......

1. Left out?
2. Jealous?
3. Or just really wish they have Serpent cars.

PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 02:59 PM   #247
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

I choose mainly to ignore these discussions - seems pretty childish what is being said about Serpent from guys with other manufacturers' cars.
I see enough racing to know that there is no dominant force within RC racing - where these people get their ideas from....I don't know, but it doesn't tie up with what I see.

Lets get back on track with the 710 discussion - hopefully it'll be as good as the 705 forum, which was/is one of the best information sources for any RC car.

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 03:52 PM   #248
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to icon

debating b/t the R40 and the 710. so far leaning towards R40.

btw why did serpent censor one of the ART suspension pic? so annoying. i dunno if people saw this yet, but serpent also posted this pic of the art suspension (uncensored).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg art suspension.jpg (15.9 KB, 251 views)

Last edited by icon; 11-12-2003 at 04:13 PM.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 04:45 PM   #249
Que
Tech Adept

Default I can't wait for the 710

It is going to be a valuable asset to my arsenal
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 07:23 PM   #250
Tech Apprentice

Default Brake Parts

Any improvement on the brake parts ? Is 710 package with the new barake pad and new ventilated disc brake ? or a totally new braking system ?

The stock one, really doesnt' satisfies me.
MorShah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 07:49 PM   #251
Que
Tech Adept

I wish serpent would come out with a team car?
Old 11-12-2003, 07:53 PM   #252
Que
Tech Adept

Hey will i be able to use all the old 705 gears on the 710 people are talking about gear ratios and stuff i want to know if i need to get new gears. or will the 705 gears fit
Old 11-12-2003, 08:53 PM   #253
Tech Master

Default Re: don't say 710 is like a veteq in 1/10 200mm scale

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rene C.
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
You really think we make the same mistake again?
Man... this is the most true and honest statement I ever saw... and it is coming direct from the house..

THINGS WILL DEFINITELY GETS BETTER and BEST

...not much company making parts or option for Serpent because they already TOP NOTCH... For sure they can get decent profit but why they dont want
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 08:55 PM   #254
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
treky11 and fastharry,

Can we agree to put the side topic Veteq thingy aside? Let's continue to discuss 710 issues !

Are you saying it has no relevance?.........It absolutely does...Just by Rene's admission that the veteq was done wrong from the start makes my own questions regarding serpents policys valid(ESP when the opening remarks for the 710 sound like the Veteq).

I'm the one who has a 1600 hundred dollar car with no value on Ebay sitting on my shelf....

BUT,don't get me wrong..I am NOT questioning serpents quality,pricing,or their quest to have that latest technology...I'm glad they strive to have the best car possible,and an upgrade car(or conversion) every six months...If its great,I'll get it...

WHAT i objected to(and what PO'd me about the whole Veteq fiasco) WAS NOT that they abandoned a great idea and went in a more agreeable direction.....That stuff happens.....

I DID NOT apreciate the fact that they made such a big deal and had so much HYPE about the Veteq 02....the promises of the future of the platform with regards to even more refinement,and all the while,THEY WERE DEVELOPING THE 950!!!!!!!!!!!!! and knew exactly what was going to happen in Aug 02 with the 950 intro..

THAT is just plain wrong...you want to change your design,go ahead........Just be upfront with everyone.....ALL the guys who bought veteqs in 02(ESP the ones in june and july) took a big hit......Serpent should have taken that hit by announcing they were making a radical change..and that there would be NO future for the veteq....They should have eaten the cars,not their hard working customers...(and look at the post's...there are still a few PO'd customers..)

Now,lets see serpent dispute that...

That all being said,I hope,as Rene C said,they've (and we customers) have learned from all this..I've said my say...lets get back to the 710..

And please...NO BASHING of the car(veteq OR 710) or serpent in general..UNLESS you own one.....then you paid for the right to gripe..

Last edited by fastharry™; 11-12-2003 at 09:02 PM.
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 09:09 PM   #255
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

I think its interesting they are going to offer 2 rear suspension designs...

Are they designed for different style tracks?....How does the 710 run with the standard suspension in back?.....

how about a shipping ETA?......I'm gonna give myself one for Christmas...

Last edited by fastharry™; 11-12-2003 at 09:16 PM.
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote