Old 11-12-2003, 09:21 AM   #226
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

lawndoggie aftermarket support would be nice. there
is a couple aftermarket companies that made parts for
the impulse but the 705 came along with alot of parts
that would have been considered hopups. now with the
710 i'm sure you will see parts from other co. if it gets
popular because that is what after Co. look at.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:06 AM   #227
Tech Regular

Well, I remember when the first impulse came out and GPM started to crank out a bizillion of parts for it. Even I jumped on the bandwagon and bought a pile of their stuff. End result was a heavier car that performed less than the original and had universals in it that broke all the time. The only part worth getting back then was the carbon upper deck since Serpent did not have that option available. After this experience, with the exception of the brake pads, I go all Serpent in my snake cars, and have never felt a need to do anything different. I think the main reason for aftermarket parts is to try to improve on the design, and maybe people find it difficult to come up with components that acctually add to the performance of the snake cars... Just my 2 cents.
fmolzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:13 AM   #228
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to serpentracer1

I agree with you 100%!!! Just think what was started on a clean sheet of paper becomes reality in 2 days!! Already have mine ordered looking forword to a new nitro season next year. GO SERPENT!
Orion R10 Pro VST powered
serpentracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:15 AM   #229
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Data was correct...

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
I think Data should not have replied to my post. He should have replied to my good buddy tIANcI's post I believe he was the one who started to get things mixed up !
normally I don’t, but I was surprised by your definition of “active” and have the need to “react” to it.

by the way, you should get in touch with serpent, they really need a better marketing guy and i think you can explain their products better than they can.
Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:22 AM   #230
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Re: technology

Quote:
Originally posted by Rene C.
You can say that the 710 is more advanced than the 950R.
The 950R is an evolution of the 950. This is a car witch was existing.

When you have a clean sheet, like the 710, you can do many other things.On the 710 are more features then on the 950R. It also another racing class.That means, some features are not necessary in the 1:8 scale.

For me the 950R is also a advanced car, think about the lying-down throttle servo, the easy adjustable front rollcenter,?.
So...the 710 is more advanced than the 950R.When the 710 is coming out,would you make the 950R more advanced than 710 later??

Let me tell you our problem.I have NT & IMPACT & IMPULSE.But I can't get some main parts from my local hobby shop.Many shops don't want to store too many Serpent parts now.Because they afraid that your upgrading too fast,nobody want to buy the old parts.When the new kits is coming out,the Distributor also want to force us(customers) to buy the new kits.They will not keep on supplying parts for the old kits.That's why many racers change their mind to Mugen or other brands that they don't need to upgrade their car each year.Please think about this,this is a big problem.I still love Serpent kit but don't like your policy.
CutePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:29 AM   #231
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: Re: Re: Data was correct...

Quote:
Originally posted by Data
normally I don’t, but I was surprised by your definition of “active?Eand have the need to “react?Eto it.

by the way, you should get in touch with serpent, they really need a better marketing guy and i think you can explain their products better than they can.
I think serpent will make their biggest mistake if they dont. the minor mistakes are ..................................
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:40 AM   #232
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Let's continue to discuss 710 issues !
i would like to discuss about 710 issues, but i think it would make more sense, at least to myself, to discuss 710 issues after i have the car in my hand and see how it perform. my imagination is not as good as others

really want to see how the 710 performs, hope i can get one in my hand before x'mas.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:42 AM   #233
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Catch 22

It seems like everyone is having a rant here.
It's my turn...

There is a bit of a catch-22 situation going on here.

Different people get upset that companies do the following:

a) Create brand new cars that are a lot better than others they previously produced, yet use new parts that are incompatible with the earlier cars. (People get upset that the company introduces a new version that has lots of changes, so all their spares for earlier versions are useless.)

b) Make small changes to a car which improve on performance, and use a lot of the same parts that are compatible with the earlier cars. (People get upset that the company introduces a new version that has little changes.)

c) Make no changes to a car and just keep it status quo. (People get upset that the company is not trying to improve their products, while other companies keep developing.)

The moral? Depending on who you are, you will either be happy or sad to see a brand new car.

Most of the features on the 710 we can probably agree are the next logical steps in design... not radical new ideas that are untested or unheard of.

I can sympathize that many people have older cars (Impulse Pro, 705) and lots of spares. But no-one is forcing you to get a new 710. If you want to get a new 710, then sell your older car and spares to a new racer, and get them into the hobby!

And I don't think there is any worry about older parts being discontinued... Serpent has a very good history of maintaining production on old parts. If your hobby shop doesn't want to stock older parts, that is an issue for your hobby shop to address... not Serpent.

Let's not bash Serpent for designing a new car. If we start doing that, then at some point the company is going to say "forget it, we won't introduce any new products... people are just going to get upset and complain."

At least they don't just rest on their laurels...

Glenn Cauley
Ottawa, Canada
GlennCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:50 AM   #234
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10

Quote:
Originally posted by Data
i would like to discuss about 710 issues, but i think it would make more sense, at least to myself, to discuss 710 issues after i have the car in my hand and see how it perform. my imagination is not as good as others

really want to see how the 710 performs, hope i can get one in my hand before x'mas.
If you are expecting on by Xmas then I would suggest you to plat a hold on it since the trend kind of go this way:

Assuming from the previous example from the company

710 R coming out in 3 months
715 will be introduced in 4 1/2 months
715R coming out as a hop up version in 6 months
710 has been announced discontinue.
725 probably coming out by then!

So if you are expecting to get one by Xmas then you might not be able to find any parts since 725 is already on the way to hit the shore!
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:52 AM   #235
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ah10
If you are expecting on by Xmas then I would suggest you to plat a hold on it since the trend kind of go this way:

Assuming from the previous example from the company

So if you are expecting to get one by Xmas then you might not be able to find any parts since 725 is already on the way to hit the shore!

Sheesh... no sarcasm there, eh?
GlennCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 11:00 AM   #236
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ah10

I guess they are always trying to improve on thier products.
PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 11:08 AM   #237
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by PUNISHER

true, but if one look at the time between the improvements, one would start to think why the car need another improvement in such a short period of time ? hope the 710 won't go down this path.

Last edited by Data; 11-12-2003 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:32 AM   #238
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10

Quote:
Originally posted by PUNISHER

Well my take is if they are always trying to improve their products then why not come out with something that is good? may be they need to work on R&D department! may be serpent need to hire Mugen R&D department! look at the MRX-2, it didnt have any option parts for a couple of years and back then it was one of the most competitive car and they came out with the MRX3 for a couple of years, no major changes on the car as far as I know there are only a few hop up items, CVDs, Rear sway bar that's it!

So Mugen Team must be doing something right! Why cant Serpent spend some time and energy on market research, economy on what ppl want and what ppl can afford! I truely dont think 10 out of 10 serpent driver(not those sponser driver) can keep up with 5 different cars in a year! (705, 710, 950, 950R, and may be 725 and 955 coming soon!). And keeping enough spare parts and hopefully they will not discontinue it! This is tough!
Old 11-12-2003, 12:04 PM   #239
Tech Adept

Ah10. I agree. Mugen seems to get all their platforms right... MTX, MRX, and MBX, all market leading and stable platforms imho. Excellent R&D and manufacturing. But I think all rc -companies can learn from Mugen, not just Serpent...

Sorry for going off-topic...
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 12:06 PM   #240
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by johan
Ah10. I agree. Mugen seems to get all their platforms right... MTX, MRX, and MBX, all market leading and stable platforms imho. Excellent R&D and manufacturing. But I think all rc -companies can learn from Mugen, not just Serpent...

Sorry for going off-topic...

That's right! I totally forgot how sucessful on MTX2, MBX4 too!