R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-26-2005, 12:48 AM   #21541
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora's Box
Do we really need to do this? Does this increase performance and/or durability?
It is suppose to soften the belts and get less rolling resistance... No scientific proof or anything but they seem to work very well for me at least. Not that it's a problem with the 710 belts but for budget racers like me, things like this go a long way.

Don't need to do it when new. If your belts are already used, you could give it a try. Just spray some on it.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:28 AM   #21542
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to _cyclops_

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialD
The 710 should already come with 1.0 mm adjustable 5 hole shock pistons... The later batch of 710 comes with adjustable 5 hole pistons with 1.0 mm as well as 1.2 mm versions.

As i sad, i got it second hand.. and the car is not like the normal kit because it was potje's car.... I still have the 4 hole pistons but i can drill a 5th one...

I'm thinking of putting together a standard 4 hole (1mm) set, a 5 hole(1.2mm) set and a 5 hole(1mm) set... but i don't know if that's the right choise...

Is there a good way to drill the 5th hole and to drill the 1mm up to 1.2mm hole dia.. i though i saw a post from somebody about it, but i can't seem to find it anymore
_cyclops_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 02:31 AM   #21543
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cyclops_
Is there a good way to drill the 5th hole and to drill the 1mm up to 1.2mm hole dia.. i though i saw a post from somebody about it, but i can't seem to find it anymore
I believe Julius posted something... Drill the holes by hand. Mount the 1.2 mm drill bit onto something (i.e. at the back of a wooden handle) so that it would be easier to drill than using a dremel which you would have difficulty controlling the speed.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:45 AM   #21544
Tech Regular

Quote:
I believe Julius posted something... Drill the holes by hand. Mount the 1.2 mm drill bit onto something (i.e. at the back of a wooden handle) so that it would be easier to drill than using a dremel which you would have difficulty controlling the speed.

Thx for the tip(s)...
anybody who can send me to the post julius made? he described something about witch holes to drill....
Old 05-26-2005, 05:24 AM   #21545
Tech Elite

Quote:
It is suppose to soften the belts and get less rolling resistance... No scientific proof or anything but they seem to work very well for me at least. Not that it's a problem with the 710 belts but for budget racers like me, things like this go a long way.

Don't need to do it when new. If your belts are already used, you could give it a try. Just spray some on it.

d,can i use wd-40 to soak the belts???izzit bad to soak it new???are u sure ur a budget racer????
ntc3freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:50 AM   #21546
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntc3freak
d,can i use wd-40 to soak the belts???izzit bad to soak it new???are u sure ur a budget racer????

sure he is.. everybody is..... he never sad it was low budget did he?
Old 05-26-2005, 05:08 PM   #21547
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cyclops_
sure he is.. everybody is..... he never sad it was low budget did he?

ntc3freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 06:58 PM   #21548
Tech Initiate

Default Clutch gap ..

Hy guys .. I've finished assembling my Serpent ..
About the Clutch gap, in the manual it sayas that it should be around 0.6 mm , ok .. i gout how to measure and everything
But, in my case, without any spacers, the clutch gap is around 0.3mm, like, in the manual, it says A-b-0.6, mine get's a minus 0.3 value ;-)
Can i leave it like that ?? any comments on how to make this correct ?? my engine is a Nova Mega SX-12..
TY very much for your help

Rodrigo Meira
RMeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:30 PM   #21549
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntc3freak
Sure I am... If I have to spend 100 bucks to save 300, I would. RC is not cheap to begin with. When we say budget, we mean in relative terms...

You could soak the belts in WD40 or with some silicone lube. I've tried both and does not seem to have any problems.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:32 PM   #21550
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to buboy28 Send a message via Yahoo to buboy28
Arrow universals

hi, would like to know if any of you guys already used the universals that D posted some pages back, thanks
buboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:41 PM   #21551
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMeira
Hy guys .. I've finished assembling my Serpent ..
About the Clutch gap, in the manual it sayas that it should be around 0.6 mm , ok .. i gout how to measure and everything
But, in my case, without any spacers, the clutch gap is around 0.3mm, like, in the manual, it says A-b-0.6, mine get's a minus 0.3 value ;-)
Can i leave it like that ?? any comments on how to make this correct ?? my engine is a Nova Mega SX-12..
TY very much for your help

Rodrigo Meira
Rodrigo, have you made sure the clutch nut is tight on the crankshaft locking down the flywheel? Did you use the brass cone or the cone that came with the engine? Use the brass cone that came with the 710 kit.

How much shims did you put in between the front engine bearing and the brass cone? The manual recommends you start at 0.5 mm.

Also, how did you measure this 0.3 mm gap? Make sure when you measure the A and B values, you have NO 5x10x4 bearings inside the clutchbell. Only do measurement with the thrust bearings inserted into clutchbell.

If you still have problems, mathematically you should reduce the shim from 0.5 mm to 0.2 mm in between the front engine bearing and the brass cone and put ZERO shims in front of the thrust bearing !

This I suspect it to be a little weird... So my suggestion is to look over the above and see if you have overlooked any steps...
Old 05-26-2005, 08:45 PM   #21552
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by buboy28
hi, would like to know if any of you guys already used the universals that D posted some pages back, thanks
Don't know if they are available yet... The new chassis I've also not seen it in flesh yet.

Some say that the universals look like the 3Racing one... Don't know how true this is.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:08 PM   #21553
Tech Initiate

Hy Initial D.
I used the brass cone that came with the KIT and used the 0.5 spacer in the right place..
Well .. i measured that gap a lot of times .. just to be very accurate and sure about it ... and before coming here to bother u guys ..
I'm sure there was no ball bearing inside too..
Well .. i'll have to just take it all off.. and reasemble it .. i'm just anxious to get my car running, but i'm afraid to have made any mistake on assembly, so i'm taking all the precautions .. and that clutch gap was one ;-)
About the universals... i've already ordered 2 pairs from RC Mushroom, as soon as they get here i'll tell you guys what i think ...
TY for the advices.. i'll keep you guys posted..
Rodrigo Meira
Old 05-26-2005, 10:12 PM   #21554
Tech Initiate

Default Engine not lined up..

Another question ..
I put the engine on it's mount. the one that came with the 710 kit.
And the pinions seems to be too "tight" with the other gears, so i asked a guy who understands more of that, to help me out ..
He unscrewed the engine screws, and he managed to get the engine to a position where it spins muuuch more freely..
Ok ...
When i got home .. i realized, that the engine was not paralel to the rear axis (the one with the brake disk) ....
Another friend of mine told me that was not good, and to not run the car like that ..
He said we need to adjust the engine mount holes in the chassi.
Any advices for me to look at !? before i dremel my chassi ?!
Tnks guys
Rodrigo Meira
Old 05-26-2005, 10:20 PM   #21555
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Don't know if they are available yet... The new chassis I've also not seen it in flesh yet.

Some say that the universals look like the 3Racing one... Don't know how true this is.
The Universals are the same Serpent is now a distributor in the US for 3racing as for the new serpent milled chasis it is available got mine's in today really sweet & just finished instaliing it really impressed me on lowering the cg. now I get a chance to see how much more change it is gonna do since my car was dialed already.
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote