R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-10-2003, 05:18 PM   #1561
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Lower Internal Ratio Better for Acceleration?

CraigH, I posted this back the last page.

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Something that makes interesting reading at the thread at the Electric forum which applies for gas powered cars also. Of particular interest is seaball's post which is in line with what the guys at Serpent are trying to drive at with regards to the low internal ratio of the 710 and the complaints that they have been receiving;

from a physics and theoretical standpoint, the lower ratio should increase overall accelleration based on the fact that the layshaft, in either case, will be rotating less due to the lower internal ratio to produce the same overal vehicle speed.

the importance here is that kinetic energy is a linear function of rotating mass, and a squared function of rotating speed. therefore, the intent with the lower ratio is to minimize the amount of kinetic energy required to accelerate the drivetrain to it's maximum speed.

another benefit of the lower ratio for belt cars comes with the increase in layshaft pulley size that is needed to acheive this lower ratio. this results in a more effecient drivetrain, since the belt won't have to form such a small radius through the wrapping of the layshaft pulley. additionally, the belt can be run even more loosely since it will have more teeth to contact it to prevent what is known as "ratcheting" or skipping of the belt under loads.

realistically, it may be insignificant, because the pulley mass increases due to its larger size, the spur usually needs to increase to get the external ratio high enough to maintain the same FDR.

there are always design compromises that will be made, but i do believe the intent of a low internal ratio is to gain a better spool up time through minimizing the KE required.

I believe on gas cars, it is even more paramount that the drive train rotates less times seeing how many parts rotate.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:04 PM   #1562
Tech Addict

Thanks guys... I think I am going to be a Serpent owner real soon. Car looks to good to pass up.
CraigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 11:05 PM   #1563
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by oldcake
A word of age old advise...
maybe just maybe you should just shut up and drive more then be stupid.!
Me thinks forums is for discussions about cars, tracks are for driving. Me thinks maybe you need to consider that old advise is not always good advise. If the info discussed here bores you, skip to the next forum....
fmolzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 02:24 AM   #1564
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by fmolzer
Me thinks forums is for discussions about cars, tracks are for driving. Me thinks maybe you need to consider that old advise is not always good advise. If the info discussed here bores you, skip to the next forum....
Well said!!!!!!!!!!
Diesel Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 02:49 AM   #1565
Tech Rookie

Quote:
His info actually interest me alot. With his knowledge I'm sure he could do much better on the tracks then racing in the forums!

I always say action speaks louder then words.
oldcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 02:56 AM   #1566
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by oldcake
His info actually interest me alot. With his knowledge I'm sure he could do much better on the tracks then racing in the forums!
Vroom, vroom, vroom...

Can't you see all that smoke and action?

Good luck to you. I hope by you being more silent here, you do well on the tracks which I can only wish and dream about !
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:03 AM   #1567
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

First 710 on Ebay, Item #3164099500.
brianlt27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:14 AM   #1568
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to lawndoggie Send a message via Yahoo to lawndoggie

Quote:
Originally posted by brianlt27
First 710 on Ebay, Item #3164099500.
I know!! What a rip off! Its only 370USD!!
lawndoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:20 AM   #1569
Tech Rookie

Talking It's here!

My very own 710 kit arrived in the mail this afternoon. Thanks to the guys at The Border!

First difficulty; the hingepins are all in one bag and in 4 sizes, 3 of which are very similar. You'll have to take notice not to use the wrong ones... It's not made clear in the manual. Nothing that holding them next to the suspension mounts can't fix though.

I've only just finished the front section but I know by now Serpent has done an awesome job on this car.

Well, back to work!
RaceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:43 AM   #1570
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: It's here!

Quote:
Originally posted by RaceDude
My very own 710 kit arrived in the mail this afternoon. Thanks to the guys at The Border!

First difficulty; the hingepins are all in one bag and in 4 sizes, 3 of which are very similar. You'll have to take notice not to use the wrong ones... It's not made clear in the manual. Nothing that holding them next to the suspension mounts can't fix though.

I've only just finished the front section but I know by now Serpent has done an awesome job on this car.

Well, back to work!
Dude, good news. Letīs us know your impression in the building process
Paolo M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 01:32 PM   #1571
Tech Regular

I can't believe it, kits are in racers hands, and what am I doing?
Old 12-11-2003, 02:33 PM   #1572
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

One thing I know about Serpent is.......good to perfect customer support, I remembered back when I was building my Impulse PRO. there were 2 broken parts and 2 missing parts, send them a email and got the parts in 3 days.........that can't be beat.

However, I wish they can do a better job packaging....I remembered 2 of my friend brought the PRO with me, both with missing and broken parts....but I am sure it won't happened on 710 now....I hope.

The 710 on ebay is from Neitherland....probably the first place in this world to get 710 before the Serpent crew....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 02:41 PM   #1573
Tech Regular

Rookie,

Did you win the 705 I saw you bid on on ebay a week or so ago? I was tempted at placing a bid myself since it was so low, but then I saw you as high bidder... can't take it of a fellow serpent forums guy....
Old 12-11-2003, 03:31 PM   #1574
Tech Rookie

Quote:
I can't believe it, kits are in racers hands, and what am I doing?
And get this... once I've built it I will have to put it away for a month or two since it's too damn cold to race here!

HEHEH cruel isn't it...

Anyway... I found that Serpent has included two centax3 pinion tools, one for 1st and one for 2nd gear pinions.
They also polished the balldiff outdrive where the external adjuster ring sits on so that saves some work. And the rubber ring that holds the adjuster in place... really tight.

I'll have to call in sick for work tomorrow...
RaceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 04:00 PM   #1575
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Awesome!!
The 710 are right on schedule on shipment date. {Actual they are 10 days ahead of release date!!} Now some of the lucky ones have some in their hands I sure hope they share their thoughts and experience on building and what they think of the car. Also I love the new packaging box........ORANGE!!
http://www.mytsn.com/news/publ.asp?pid=9383

Quote:
One thing I know about Serpent is.......good to perfect customer support, I remembered back when I was building my Impulse PRO. there were 2 broken parts and 2 missing parts, send them a email and got the parts in 3 days.........that can't be beat.

Wow!
I have to disagree with you on this one Rookie. What other Mfg. except X-ray (hehehe) has all the suspension, chassis and miscellaneous parts in their own bag and in three sprats boxes. Also I never heard of any missing parts or broken parts in a new Kit!! Anyway, this might have been the case and like you said that Serpent Customer Service is a step above anyone else!!

PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote