Old 11-07-2003, 10:14 AM   #61
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: The new car

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor

I believe my system is more sound and
????

You didn't finish the sentence.

Last edited by EVOLUTION; 11-07-2003 at 10:47 PM.
EVOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 10:20 AM   #62
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: The new car

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
If they fail on this one, I can bet that you'll see the fall of Serpent for sure.
The question is will serpent use the consumer to be a major part of the track testing R&D as has happened in the past or did they fully do there homework?

If they have done there track testing as well as they could,then the car sounds promising and has many features(at least in print)that other cars don't have.

If they haven't fully done there R&D then they will be in deep $%#@ !!!
Old 11-07-2003, 10:39 AM   #63
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The new car

Quote:
Originally posted by EVOLUTION
If they haven't fully done there R&D then they will be in deep $%#@ !!!
Yeah agreed. But is 2 years of r&D enough?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 10:40 AM   #64
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to serpentracer1

About the laydown throttle.I read an article in an rc car mag talking about laydown servos and if they really help.It ended up saying that in most cases that it does and some it doesnt.In my opinon the front servo layed down is more beneficial cause theres only so much you can work with in the front as far as the throttle goes Serpent lowered the engine(more wgt) in the chassis which would help alot in cg and maybe they tried the throttle and found that there was no benefit but remember the engine has been lowered which is much heavier than that of the servoand cant forget the smaller flywheel less rotating mass.
Orion R10 Pro VST powered
serpentracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 10:41 AM   #65
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Throttle Servo

Quote:
Originally posted by PUNISHER
The only other 200mm car with a laydown throttle servo style is the G4 witch dosn't have a lot of room for large or medium receiver.
You're right on that one Punisher. In fact I think the current position of the receiver on the G4 is too near the engine which makes the tendency for a lot of unwanted frequency disturbance.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:50 AM   #66
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by serpentracer1
In my opinon the front servo layed down is more beneficial cause theres only so much you can work with in the front as far as the throttle goes Serpent lowered the engine(more wgt) in the chassis which would help alot in cg and maybe they tried the throttle and found that there was no benefit but remember the engine has been lowered which is much heavier than that of the servoand cant forget the smaller flywheel less rotating mass.
I don't know about the engine being more lowered than the current 705. I thought the 710 has a lower positioned engine mount but the more I think about it, I believe they are the same...

The 710 spots a 33 mm diameter flywheel (or so we are told) which would make it mounted 1 mm lower than the 705 (based on the 35 mm flywheel diameter on the 705). If indeed the 710 spots a 4 mm chassis (can anybody confirm this), then it could possibly make the engine mounted back to the original position as the 705 with a 3 mm chassis.

Hence that could probably explain why Serpent could use the 705 tank because of the same profile...
Old 11-07-2003, 10:55 AM   #67
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The new car

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Yeah agreed. But is 2 years of r&D enough?
I don't know,should I take that as the gospel?
Old 11-07-2003, 11:25 AM   #68
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
The pics came from Serpent.Lee the owner of winner circle told me he had to change the size of them to post them on his website so the clarity isnt as good as the orig.He got the pics and specs so we the consumers could know whats going on!

I deal with Lee on all my Gas related things hes been in the nitro businees and selling Serpent among others for yrs,He always has the parts Ive ever needed and if not Id have them by the end of the week so some of yall who are looking for a hobbyshop that has all the Serpent parts contact him(Lee) He even has a toll free number to call and he knows his business Great guy to talk to.
Agreed. I have never had trouble getting anything from Lee. He's the best, and a great guy too.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:34 AM   #69
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Schrijver99
What's this no laydown servo for the throttle/brake like 950-R
Once I get technical in this little head of mine, I think that the throttle servo being stood up has the same benefit as being laid down. If you think about it, all the weight of the servo is toward the bottom. Also, to get even more technical, when you lay the throttle servo down, you are spacing it over a larger area of the chassis, making it "hang off" more, which, to the nitpicking mind, will give more polar movement. Also, I have never had a car with a laydown throttle servo, but I can imagine that the linkage is a pain.

When it comes down to it, I don't think there is an advantage either way.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:36 AM   #70
Tech Prophet

Just in from Serpent... One of the few articles to come by in the 2 weeks to come. This should answer most of our pop quiz questions concerning the front portion of the car !

New front end design
The front end of the Serpent 710 offers some very attractive features:
- quick change system of the front transmission, you can change from front shaft to front ball- differential (optional)in just a few minutes time
- front shaft with one-way bearings, which offers the option to change it into a solid front axle (more on this innovation lateron) within seconds
- new front suspension arms, very strong and rigid
- bigger size and high quality pullies
- roll-center adjustments made easy (more info lateron)
- front carbon shocktower with a variety of shock-mounting positions and a 3rd body pole in the center with newly designed pivoting body-rests
- front eccentric belt-tension adjusters (around the front bearing)
- centrally located servo-saver and steeringsystem with center-shaft system
- very open and easy to access front end design
- high quality allen type fasteners

More news on the front end and other parts of the Serpent 710 in the next days.

Read it at http://www.mytsn.com/news/publ.asp?pid=9264
Old 11-07-2003, 11:47 AM   #71
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Proficar403
Also, to get even more technical, when you lay the throttle servo down, you are spacing it over a larger area of the chassis, making it "hang off" more, which, to the nitpicking mind, will give more polar movement.
Good point you brought up there Arun. I'm a little fuzzy on the polar moment thingy but I'm thinking since the throttle servo is already placed more towards the center of the car, polar moment would not be much of an effect when the throttle servo is laid down, wouldn't it...

serpentracer1 brought up a good point about the change of CG when you lower the throttle servo. It does not make that much of an effect when you compare that to physically lowering the engine which is in many times more heavy than the servo.

So perhaps what you conclude may be correct that laying the throttle servo does not bring more benefit (more hassle in fact) to the car's handling. Furthermore if what is being said about the increase in the polar moment when the throttle servo is laid down to be true, then it really serves no purpose. I guess it gives the "nice to look at" effect and a slightly lowered CG but nothing else.

Perhaps this is why the new Kyosho 1/8th scale (Evolva) does not spot the laid down throttle servo like the 950R...
Old 11-07-2003, 02:32 PM   #72
Tech Master

Default 710 HEAVIER OR NOT HEAVIER?

now i am wondering..... is 710 really heavier than 705?

coz... the chasis is 4mm compared 3mm in 705.
then MODELLOR said 3 wishbone will make it more heavier.
then the pullies are bigger
then they add 3rd body pole

why they wanna use 4mm chassis instead of 3mm?

mop
mop_iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 02:46 PM   #73
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Cool

Quote:
now i am wondering..... is 710 really heavier than 705?
I doubt the 710 will be heavier then the 705...........alot more "open" area on the chassis.

Quote:
why they wanna use 4mm chassis instead of 3mm?
They went with the 4mm chassis becauze of the new bumper plate......its not like the old one were it was more like a front bumper brace.
The new one dose not mount to the front bulk heads.
PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 02:50 PM   #74
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Quote:
About the laydown throttle.I read an article in an rc car mag talking about laydown servos and if they really help.It ended up saying that in most cases that it does and some it doesnt.In my opinon the front servo layed down is more beneficial cause theres only so much you can work with in the front as far as the throttle goes Serpent lowered the engine(more wgt) in the chassis which would help alot in cg and maybe they tried the throttle and found that there was no benefit but remember the engine has been lowered which is much heavier than that of the servoand cant forget the smaller flywheel less rotating mass.
I totally agree!

................same gose with the laydown steering servo.

PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 03:53 PM   #75
Tech Adept

Quote:
I've heard something the same.
Schrijver99 is offline   Reply With Quote