Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree829Likes

World GT-R Rules and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 09:38 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

My tires have arrived so I've started working on converting my car from wgt to wgtr. The car is a Serpent S100-LT. I was able to get the rear ride height to 5.6mm using the 0/40 axle inserts. I'll use spacers under the bulkheads to fine tune ride height.
I used 5mm spacers up front to get the ride height down to 5.2mm.
I mounted up the tires and test fitted my old mx stang to find the the front tires stick out slightly. Looks as though the S100LT runs wide up front. I test fitted a 200mm hpi R34 Skyline body and it just fits. With that said, it looks like I'm stuck using a 200mm body. What are some good options for 200mm bodies for black crc FT2 carpet?
Also, what sort of setup changes should I be looking at when converting from wgt to wgtr?
Old 11-01-2019, 04:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

DBM: Take a look at the McAllister C6 Corvette. It is one of the best 200mm bodies for WGTR. Other than that, try and find a way to narrow the car. They handle better at around 195 in width.
NutDriver likes this.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by old_dude
...try and find a way to narrow the car. They handle better at around 195 in width.
Do you attribute this to the fact that the 'better' bodies require narrowing the car or do you think there is something inherently better about running the car under the legal max width?
Old 11-01-2019, 11:24 AM
Tech Champion

We just haven't found a way to make them quick at full width yet. As soon as someone does........

Keep in mind that 235mm pan cars have tons of aero in the body, while in WGTR, the body is mostly a hindrance.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:23 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Machined some 4.25mm brass spacers for the front. Will slot some holes so that I can reduce the front width.
thank you for the help and suggestions so far!
JC3 likes this.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:32 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Slotted some holes and got the front track width down to 196.5mm from the outsides of the sidewalls. MX Stang body fits now.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:01 AM
Tech Addict

I just went back to look at the rules. Seems like CRC owns WGT-R? Suckers!
Old 11-02-2019, 03:09 AM
Tech Master

The Gen X RT is sort of the king of the class but don't rule out a Roche.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by old_dude
The Gen X RT is sort of the king of the class but don't rule out a Roche.
It seems like CRC is the only company that puts factory level talent in the WGT-R class. In my opinion, this is why all the big races seem to go to CRC in this class.

Locally, all versions of the CRC car have proven fragile. Most guys that have tried them have moved on due to frequent front end breakage. I bet dollars to donuts that if you walked our track right now, you could find at least 1 broken king pin and one of those little white spring retainers.. If I recall, some racers also had issues yanking the side links off the chassis (pivot ball screw ripped out of chassis)

Most of our local WGT-R racers now run the Xray X10. The front end is bullet proof and euro style ball diff(w/ thrust race) is actually usable on black carpet.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:33 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 1spunspur
I just went back to look at the rules. Seems like CRC owns WGT-R? Suckers!
The class was created by CRC at CRC raceway, for CRC rubber tires. Being that it's one of the funnest classes in RC, with the cheapest long term costs, I'd give them a pass on specing only their own tires.

You can run Roche, Xray, Speedmerchant, Reflex, Kawada, any old WGT car that can have the rear axle spaced up enough.

Old 11-02-2019, 03:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sps3172
It seems like CRC is the only company that puts factory level talent in the WGT-R class. In my opinion, this is why all the big races seem to go to CRC in this class.

Locally, all versions of the CRC car have proven fragile. Most guys that have tried them have moved on due to frequent front end breakage. I bet dollars to donuts that if you walked our track right now, you could find at least 1 broken king pin and one of those little white spring retainers.. If I recall, some racers also had issues yanking the side links off the chassis (pivot ball screw ripped out of chassis)

Most of our local WGT-R racers now run the Xray X10. The front end is bullet proof and euro style ball diff(w/ thrust race) is actually usable on black carpet.
I find this odd. I have zero issues with the durability of the CRC cars (I run both the GenX10RT and CK25). This also goes for many of our other local racers here. I am on season 3 with my WGTR car without a single broken part. I am not a bad driver, but I am not a great driver either, and the car still treats me well. It has been incredibly consistent for me, and I would recommend the CRC to anyone wanting to get into WGTR.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:22 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Looking through my stash of bodies, I came across a hpi ford gt 7495. Wouldn't you know, it's actually on the list! It weighs 101g unpainted.
I also have a hpi McLaren f1 body. Such a cool lookinglooking bummer that it isn't on the list.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Is the McLaren painted?
Old 11-02-2019, 05:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

With the rubber tires pretty much any chassis can be competitive I've seen a old associated 10L come out and be a top 3 car. And as for the CRC is fragile comment all cars break some more then others. And for you to compare crc to xray. Hell u can put xray up against any manufacturer and there parts are far more durable and 3 times the price. There both great cars for the class CRC just does it at a fraction of the price.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ricerscott
I find this odd. I have zero issues with the durability of the CRC cars (I run both the GenX10RT and CK25). This also goes for many of our other local racers here. I am on season 3 with my WGTR car without a single broken part. I am not a bad driver, but I am not a great driver either, and the car still treats me well. It has been incredibly consistent for me, and I would recommend the CRC to anyone wanting to get into WGTR.
I'm just reporting what I see. Perhaps I should clarify that we keep WGT-R as a sportsman/novice level class at our track. These guys can be a bit more demanding on the equipment (and track barriers). Maybe that's why our experiences don't jive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.