Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by photeckk
Is the McLaren painted?
no.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sps3172
I'm just reporting what I see. Perhaps I should clarify that we keep WGT-R as a sportsman/novice level class at our track. These guys can be a bit more demanding on the equipment (and track barriers). Maybe that's why our experiences don't jive.
Those are the cars weak points and locally WGT-R is anywhere from beginner to top level. Interestingly I work on those beginners cars. If you want to fix the front end, and Any associated style will fit but my bet is they will have bent king pins then. There is a way to reinforce the chassis but once the car is narrowed the rear tire doesn't catch things as much like F1 cars do. With all of that said, the CRC is a top level race car for the class and not intended for a beginner. There are probably better options for that type of class and still run the rubber tires.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:39 AM
Tech Champion

Maybe. But front arms are $3. And in stock at any track that carrys CRC parts.

My Xray arms are likely over $20.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It seems like CRC is the only company that puts factory level talent in the WGT-R class. In my opinion, this is why all the big races seem to go to CRC in this class.

Locally, all versions of the CRC car have proven fragile. Most guys that have tried them have moved on due to frequent front end breakage. I bet dollars to donuts that if you walked our track right now, you could find at least 1 broken king pin and one of those little white spring retainers.. If I recall, some racers also had issues yanking the side links off the chassis (pivot ball screw ripped out of chassis)

Most of our local WGT-R racers now run the Xray X10. The front end is bullet proof and euro style ball diff(w/ thrust race) is actually usable on black carpet.
Well I have been racing WGTR for 3 years now at Outlaw RC home of the Canadian Nationals. In the height of winter season we get roughly 15-25 WGTR cars for club racing. It's now become the second largest class most race days.

Majority of the cars are Crc with the occasional Roche,Xray SpeedMerchant and even a 1 off Destiny car in the field. Myself I ran a Roche the past 2 years and the xray this year. Loved the Roche and am liking the xray this year. I have tried my buddies Crc cars and they work very well. I just prefer to run something different then the rest. Always have. I Haven't broken a single part. Also I have not seen a single CRC break either(other than general wear and maintenance). We have top level racers down to newbs driving in the class. So there has been plenty of durability testing.

I always say to anyone that asks that it is by far the most fun class in onroad.
Merminator likes this.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:24 PM
Tech Rookie

It seems like CRC is the only company that puts factory level talent in the WGT-R class. In my opinion, this is why all the big races seem to go to CRC in this class.

Locally, all versions of the CRC car have proven fragile. Most guys that have tried them have moved on due to frequent front end breakage. I bet dollars to donuts that if you walked our track right now, you could find at least 1 broken king pin and one of those little white spring retainers.. If I recall, some racers also had issues yanking the side links off the chassis (pivot ball screw ripped out of chassis)

Most of our local WGT-R racers now run the Xray X10. The front end is bullet proof and euro style ball diff(w/ thrust race) is actually usable on black carpet.
I too find this odd. I have been running this car for a little under a year, and have been given it a good beating. I've hit the wall numerous times, and have had some hard hits, and it's still going. The only issue I've had was a bearing blowing apart in the rear. This was not the cars fault, but my own for hitting the wall. I have not replaced any parts, and it is a great car. This is the perfect class for tight racing, and forcing yo to become a better driver. I applaud CRC for putting this together, and I hope it continues. I prefer to race pancar chassis, and I love the larger size of this car. Everyone I race with has a CRC chassis of some sort, and there is very little breakage. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Can confirm the Roche is fast and durable. Nice car all around. Looking forward to trying the updated Xray when it drops. CRC is fast as hell at our place too.
Khador12 likes this.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:53 PM
Tech Regular

Switch from CRC to Xray because I can carry fewer tools. The rest of my cars are Xray.
sps3172 likes this.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:51 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Getting there. Will cut a new top deck from carbon fiber tomorrow at work, as well as some rear body post mounts that position the posts farther out. It's near impossible to mount non wgt bodies with the rear posts in their stock locations.
The 6400mAh turnigy lipo is 5 years old so I'm contemplating ordering a 8200mAh sumpadow, but I don't plan on running this class more than once a year so I'm on the fence about spending $100 on a battery.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Khador12

Switch from CRC to Xray because I can carry fewer tools. The rest of my cars are Xray.
Running a gear diff on black Crc carpet? How does it compare to the spool?
Old 11-04-2019, 06:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by robbie_gtc
Running a gear diff on black Crc carpet? How does it compare to the spool?
When traction gets really high I prefer the spool. I have only tried the gear diff with 10k fluid so far. I will be trying 50k.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:32 AM
Tech Master

Most of you know that I have run the CRC cars for a long time. All the way back to 08. The kingpin issue isn't new and I have broken a few. They aren't as durable as a Associated style but offer easier droop adjust ability as well as a more stable pivot system (my opinion). Some of you run on tracks that have very hard corners (no flapper type corners) and this tough on this front end as well as the chassis corners where the link mounts. On there F1 car it is even more vulnerable with the wheels out in space (I run one of those too). Most of the tracks I run on have the flapper type of corners so scuffing a corner isn't as much of a penalty parts wise. Here is one more recommendation. Put CA on the sidewalls up to the top of the logo. It lets the tire rub the rail without catching and doesn't affect grip. This one thing will reduce front end breakage and the need to be marshaled a ton.
sps3172 and Zerodefect like this.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:11 AM
Tech Champion

The flapper and flex turns at the Gate are priceless. Wish more tracks had them. Please post a pic or two so more people can see what they are.

The dot, and curb plates, at some tracks, are nice as well. Place them at the apex of a turn, if you turn in too soon, the car hits them, loses grip, and harmlessly slides outside, missing the wall.

Dots:

Anything that makes our tracks less like a ''street circuit'' is a good thing. (unless we're talking 1/8 nitro in a parking lot temporary setup, that actually IS a street circuit)
NutDriver and AsphaltFlyer like this.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

A small update to the rules has been added. The Mon-Tech Trofeo GST has been added to the body list, and the tire rules have been made more specific due to some people spending more time trying to skate around the rules than work on their cars.
NutDriver and AsphaltFlyer like this.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:09 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dumper
A small update to the rules has been added. The Mon-Tech Trofeo GST has been added to the body list, and the tire rules have been made more specific due to some people spending more time trying to skate around the rules than work on their cars.
good to see the montech body added to the list.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I must have missed something what are the new tire rules?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.