Like Tree486Likes

1/12 forum

Hide Wikipost
Old 12-13-2018, 02:04 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: 1/12 forum
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: IBxAnders
This is a place to share knowledge related to 1/12th scale racing. It is not to be used for conversations.

1/12th Scale Pan Car Kits:

Click links to go to manufacturer product page. If any are missing please add them!

Associated 12R6
https://www.teamassociated.com/cars_.../Factory_Team/ Jul 2017 release
DISCUSSION THREAD - Team Associated 12R6

Print Wikipost

Old 04-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Tech Adept

Ok, first roullout is done. I drove 8min 30s with an old 12t brushed motor, but I was not (yet) as fast as some Corallys with Lipos and Nimhs. Handling was nearly the same as normal.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Default RC12L3 Diff Balls

Hi Chaps,

Can someone please let me know what size the diff balls are in the RC12l3?

Thanks Ahead
Dan
Old 04-16-2008, 04:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losidan View Post
Hi Chaps,

Can someone please let me know what size the diff balls are in the RC12l3?

Thanks Ahead
Dan
1/8"
Old 04-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

FOR SALE
A CTX-C Cell Master Rheinhard Version Charger/Discharger, the charger has only been used four times and is in great condition, it has just been sitting around at my house for months. There are no scratches on the charger. I am asking 75.00 shipped. If you have any questions or would like pictures please email me at [email protected]. I will only ship to the lower 48 states and I only accept Paypal.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Tech Adept

Default Diff ball holes on the Kimbrough spurs . . .

Diff ball holes on the Kimbrough spurs . . .

I was wondering if anyone runs extra diff balls in the spur, like some extra on the inner ring of holes to sort of distribute the load more evenly?

Thoughts?
Old 04-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up I must give a shout out to Ray & Julie of Niftech . . .

I must give a big shout out to Ray & Julie of Niftech . . .

I got my order today as promised, COD but oh well . . .

I ordered the toe tool, some caps, some bronze pivot balls and the pivot ball tool. Beautiful stuff, good documentation. They even threw in a free gift, a tub of diff grease, happily suprised. I always love local newspaper packaging, I really get a kick out of it. Niftech's paper had plenty of hand written markups highlighting relevant news from the Cleveland paper "The Plain Dealer".

What I didn't expect was plenty of hand written thanks and words of encouragement. They appear to be a real Mom & Pop shop and go out of their way to exceed the customer's expectations.

They also included some Niftech stickers and two printed copies of the current catalog.

In this day and age of slick ssl PayPal shopping carts it's kind of refreshing and more personal to deal in this fashion. The post office may be thrown for a bit of a loop in the heart of Silicon Valley but it's entertaining to witness them scurry around for procedural documents that haven't been used recently.

So in closing I must give Niftech two thumbs up for providing outstanding customer support using what some may consider antiquated channels. This maybe so but there is really no substitute for the human touch.

Thank You Ray & Julie,

To quote the Governor of the great state of California, (Arnold) . . .

"I'll be back . . ."

woot . . .
Old 04-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Tech Adept

I guess I shouldn't say anything at all . . .

If I can't say anything nice . . .

Last edited by boscoj; 04-19-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 247 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boscoj View Post
Gank all the threads from this forum and be done with it.

This is such a cluster.
WTF???!!!

Last edited by Scottrik; 04-19-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:54 PM
Tech Adept

I made a not so nice comment about the "forum", thought better and came back to delete it but couldn't so I just edited it . . .

Sorry . . . this is in no way in context to my Niftech thread.

Another reason why the configuration of this board sucks.

Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
WTF???!!!
Old 04-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Hey gang,
I am considering cutting some upper and lower rear pod plates to be able to move a brushless motor over the 3.5mm needed to weight balance the rear pod correctly. With todays "large wheel" tires on the market, the off sets that they have, it would seem that we could take advantage and move the motor plate over. The disadvantage would be that you will only be able to run wheels that have a 2.75mm off set or greater such as Parma & Jaco. The CRC's have a 1.4mm off set which is not enough to correctly get 86mm to center (half of 172mm for max width). Another disadvantage would be you would not be able to narrow up the rear track width if you use it for tuning. I have made up a set of custom rear pod plates and a shortened right diff hub and have run it in the past. It works as expected and the left rear tire wear matched the right. Diff hubs are not easy to make at my end, but IRS and CRC spit them out all day long. So what do you guys think about this? Painted into a corner with limited tire manufacture selection? Or very cool, why didn't we do this sooner?

Brian
Old 04-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Brian,you got a PM bro on this subject.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 247 (100%+)

You know me Brian...I'll buy pretty much any product that claims to solve pretty much any problem. Let me know when they're ready. :
Old 04-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000 View Post
Hey gang,
I am considering cutting some upper and lower rear pod plates to be able to move a brushless motor over the 3.5mm needed to weight balance the rear pod correctly. With todays "large wheel" tires on the market, the off sets that they have, it would seem that we could take advantage and move the motor plate over. The disadvantage would be that you will only be able to run wheels that have a 2.75mm off set or greater such as Parma & Jaco. The CRC's have a 1.4mm off set which is not enough to correctly get 86mm to center (half of 172mm for max width). Another disadvantage would be you would not be able to narrow up the rear track width if you use it for tuning. I have made up a set of custom rear pod plates and a shortened right diff hub and have run it in the past. It works as expected and the left rear tire wear matched the right. Diff hubs are not easy to make at my end, but IRS and CRC spit them out all day long. So what do you guys think about this? Painted into a corner with limited tire manufacture selection? Or very cool, why didn't we do this sooner?

Brian
LRP now make a thin front plate for the motor that shifts it 1.5mm to the right (looking from the rear of the car) and it gives you all the centring and room that you need in the pod. This is being driven from the TC end to get the weight more inboard, so I guess we will see it on lots of motors some time soon. Don't think that, after a lot of work, you will find a market, Brain, as the problem is being alleviated by the motor guys. HTH
Old 04-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

It takes almost 4mm to center the weight in the 1/12th motor pod.

Brian,
We've done some work on this and I think it will prove to be the right thing to do. There are those who don't think it is necessary, but in addition to the tire wear issue you mentioned we think the car feels better balanced on the track with a balanced motor pod. That being said, a car with an unbalanced pod doesn't exactly feel bad. But you have to ask, if you were designing a new 1/12th car from the ground up with the plan that it would only run brushless motors, would you center the weight of the motor or not? It makes sense to me that you would center it, just as it is basically centered with brushed motors in the current pods.

I've found that with Parma wheels you can easily center the weight in the pod and get the axle centered at full width, as long as we use a right side hub that has 1mm removed from the wheel flange (a lot easier to do than making a hub LOL) A better solution would be to have a narrower right hub, say 3mm narrower. CRC now makes one that they place in their brushless motor conversion kit for the GenX that is just that. That gives you room to adjust track width for tuning

As for the marketability aspect of such a product, I wouldn't take a guess, as I have proven numerous times that I am a poor judge of that
Old 04-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default New to 1/12 Scale Questions

I have a couple of questions for a newbie to this scale

I'm getting a CRC Gen-X, I would like to run Lipo and Brushless
  • What suggestions can I get for an ESC, combo
  • Lipo size, given it would be replacing the 4 cell, any special considerations
  • Best motor size for new to this scale person running on carpet
Many Thanks in advance for the help

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service