Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
NEW Serpent 12th scale >

NEW Serpent 12th scale

NEW Serpent 12th scale

Old 01-29-2015, 04:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I want two right away. When are they avalible?
Old 01-29-2015, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default observations

The new rear pod's center pivot does look to be a novel approach that could potentially achieve a self-adjusting and bind-proof pivoting action. If indeed it does pivot freely and it also proves to be durable enough, then Serpent's new and unusual center pivot could turn out to be really nice feature. Having said that, their unique center pivot design also looks like it could be a potential weak point. Time will tell if their unusual pod design turns out to have more plusses than minuses. With the front shock mount as shown, it appears that the new car is designed to run a transverse battery, but oddly there also appear to be slots in the main chassis that hint at an offset inline battery orientation. Hmmm. In any event, I don't see anything that would position the battery either front-to-back or side-to-side. Surely Serpent must have a method in mind for positioning the battery, but such is not apparent from the posted photos. Perhaps the pics are of an early and not yet fully developed prototype ??
Old 01-29-2015, 05:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I see several holes where bolts/nuts can be placed for a forward transverse position or an offset inline and then tape slots to hold it down. That's all you need. And since it lacks esc and receiver, it's obviously a build, not a race ready set-up.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vafactor
The new rear pod's center pivot does look to be a novel approach that could potentially achieve a self-adjusting and bind-proof pivoting action. If indeed it does pivot freely and it also proves to be durable enough, then Serpent's new and unusual center pivot could turn out to be really nice feature. Having said that, their unique center pivot design also looks like it could be a potential weak point. Time will tell if their unusual pod design turns out to have more plusses than minuses. With the front shock mount as shown, it appears that the new car is designed to run a transverse battery, but oddly there also appear to be slots in the main chassis that hint at an offset inline battery orientation. Hmmm. In any event, I don't see anything that would position the battery either front-to-back or side-to-side. Surely Serpent must have a method in mind for positioning the battery, but such is not apparent from the posted photos. Perhaps the pics are of an early and not yet fully developed prototype ??
The new pivot is quite tough. I can attest to that having run a pre production car yesterday 😄. The pivot is absolutely free and stays free even after crashes......

After getting the hang of 1/12 again I set a new personal best laptime.
Battery will go longitudinal and transverse. For both positions stops can be screwed in the chassis. The longitudinal slots are countersunk to adjust forward stops for transverse, and two dedicated holes are in place for longitudinal placement.

The new front end indeed has inserts for kingpin inclination and is a more conventional setup on the top pivot.

It is funny that many dislike the center shock, while yokomo puts it in their 1/12 kit....
Old 02-01-2015, 12:47 AM
LKF
Tech Apprentice

i am a little disappointed about so called "innovative rear pivot system"
but new serpent car looks nice as always.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

http://www.serpent.com/product/410006/images/
Old 02-05-2015, 11:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bigcracing
I want two right away. When are they avalible?
The-Border is going to ship it coming Tuesday or Wednesday.

Last edited by Thaan; 02-06-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by LKF
They do try something different. Don't know if it's going to be better, but it's definitely an interesting approach to the pivot ball.

Martin Paradis
Old 02-06-2015, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

What springs does the shock use? Associated or Serpent only?
Old 02-06-2015, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
What springs does the shock use? Associated or Serpent only?
If your asking about the stock shock it is too large around for AE springs and you must use the Serpent springs. Some ditch it for a more standard sized shock.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by LKF
Really, no one else is pivoting from the top cross brace. Already have mine built will all orange aluminum.

Steve
Old 03-02-2015, 06:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by LKF
Originally Posted by sdunnmcp
Really, no one else is pivoting from the top cross brace. Already have mine built will all orange aluminum.

Steve
I was thinking the same thing...it may look like a minor change but it really is quite an innovation. It is still pivoting from the lower part of the chassis but the additional pivot in the upper brace allows the whole thing to move without binding and stays much more free.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a custom chassis plate and rear pod plate cut so I can incorporate all the different parts I like best in the different cars on the market.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Sweet new car
Serpent always have such a nice design too
Old 03-04-2015, 02:54 AM
Tech Adept

Old 03-07-2015, 11:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Thaan
Anyone know when these will be available?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.