Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree28Likes

TLR 22-4 THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kaw1000
From the 36 minute video the guys said this buggy has been in testing and development for two years. $450 plus is a ton for a toy car without electronics and you have the balls to make this statement??
yes i do.....ive been racing for 28 years, and i havent seen a buggy built this well.... given the size of the jumps now, and the horsepower available to people, there are going to be times where stuff breaks.
$450 isnt much given what other buggys are out there....look at the price of a kyosho MP9 TK3, or a the top of the line 1/8th on-road car.

was there anything missing in the kit??? NO, was there any parts not fitting well???, NO.
Negative comments dont help this sport one bit.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kiwidave72
yes i do.....ive been racing for 28 years, and i havent seen a buggy built this well.... given the size of the jumps now, and the horsepower available to people, there are going to be times where stuff breaks.
$450 isnt much given what other buggys are out there....look at the price of a kyosho MP9 TK3, or a the top of the line 1/8th on-road car.

was there anything missing in the kit??? NO, was there any parts not fitting well???, NO.
Negative comments dont help this sport one bit.
But alerting people of flaws is a good thing and this is a major flaw. just because someone points a a bad flaw does not mean they are ragging on the product. We all know Losi has great customer support and a quality product But it is unacceptable to make a claim that it has been in development for two years and have this type of problem.

I'm sure they will get it fixed but it should not have been a problem in the first place. I'm Done
Old 02-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Tech Addict

I have no idea why everyone thinks this is expensive.....sorry, but if there are cheaper options you like, don't bash TLRs price...it won't hurt anyone's feelings....

And for the hinge pin issue....give it a little time...it is the first run of kits...relax. After all...you never broke front pins on other buggys...because the arm or bulkhead wasn't tough enough....Thanks to those who figured out the shock shaft fix. Looks fine to me.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Saw one of these run today and WOW Very stable, very quick and once he got the bugs worked out and the car set up to his liking, he was on a terror. The track guru had his hands full until he thermaled with about 45 seconds to go. If I was in the market for a 4wd, I would be seriously looking at one of these.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Sorry, another first run story. I had no wheel time, showed up at 8am this morning to get about 10-12 min of practice with the 22-4, that was all the time I could muster, running 2 other classes with new set-ups and had to test them out as well. Long story short, it was a trophy race with all the fast locals and some non locals and the 22-4 was incredible. I missed TQ by 13 hundredths of a second and missed fast lap by 3 thousands of a second and managed a second place A-main. Lost to a team driver who said he was willing to do anything not to let a TLR win. This buggy begs to be driven hard and never does anything you don't want it to. Thank you TLR for yet another fantastic product. Just an FYI.....durability was good with several very hard tumbles......
Old 02-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Flaming TLR for the problems isn't the right thing to do for sure. But pointing them out and asking for a fix or work around shouldn't be considered negative comments folks. It's great that some have found there own fix, but TLR needs a team/company supported one. If it's just a bad batch of hinge pins then so be it.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Tech Initiate

I got mine out today for the first time as well, unfortunately I was unaware of the "font hinge pin/arm issue", I too broke two front arms and two hinge pins. The hobby shop I was racing at did have stock, but the only other guy at the track also broke the same arm/hinge pin twice... so they were out. When I got home I checked Amain and Horizon Hobby and seems they are out of hinge pin sets.

Once this issue is resolved, the car is awesome, very fast, drove/jumped great with the factory set up.

PB
Old 02-08-2014, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Whitesahara
I got mine out today for the first time as well, unfortunately I was unaware of the "font hinge pin/arm issue", I too broke two front arms and two hinge pins. The hobby shop I was racing at did have stock, but the only other guy at the track also broke the same arm/hinge pin twice... so they were out. When I got home I checked Amain and Horizon Hobby and seems they are out of hinge pin sets.

Once this issue is resolved, the car is awesome, very fast, drove/jumped great with the factory set up.

PB

i also broke a a arm and hinge pin tonight, but completely my fault, caught the edge of a piece of plywood after a triple jump, the reason for posting is whitesahra said they are out of stock. so i pulled the pin from my 22sct and it works perfect. same dimensions and set screw cut out, it just has the tini coating, this will absolutely work as a replacement.. just fyi
Old 02-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hopmeup on ebay has just the 22sct pins that work on the 22-4 for under $5.00 7 sets left i just bought 4 of them TLR6079
Old 02-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GNS Racing 86
i also broke a a arm and hinge pin tonight, but completely my fault, caught the edge of a piece of plywood after a triple jump, the reason for posting is whitesahra said they are out of stock. so i pulled the pin from my 22sct and it works perfect. same dimensions and set screw cut out, it just has the tini coating, this will absolutely work as a replacement.. just fyi
Awesome I have set of RTR 22T steel ones too. Plus Some 22SCT's. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kaw1000
From the 36 minute video the guys said this buggy has been in testing and development for two years. $450 plus is a ton for a toy car without electronics and you have the balls to make this statement??
I get you're ticked, but gimme a break at you being rude over their testing. Go back through and read what all people have bee hitting & running into with their cars.. WHY would TLR test the cars ability to withstand full speed impact into a steel pipe or wall.. It's a racer, not a basher!

That being said, I acknowledge racers have broken the pins in not such extreme incidents too. Again, things as STATED not seen during Pros or Team Testing.

Now my 2cents: I am a tinkerer, & have had many project xx4's with differing mods.. One I stuck with was using 22 front Hinge pins - grove & all. I stopped using them bcz they broke on me, no set screw, no front brace.. Thinking it was a front brace issue I created one.. Broke another 22 pin.. Thru a lil more experience I notice they broke in a solid tumbled, not front impact. Concluded it might be the nonbraced side that flexed the pin just enough to put pressure on the groove & snapped the harden steel. That still takes a LOT of force.
My soln to that was use 22 front shock shafts as hinge pins, & zero issues since. Note: the pins don't seem to break in the 22 buggies.. So I do not question the quality if the pins.

My 22-4 was suppose to be delivered today, the 3-5" of snow delayed till Mon.
So I cannot speak to the issue with the 22-4.. I do know 3 racers with them that are not Pros & have not broken anything in 2wks of racing.
IF, you are worried that your 22-4 might break the hinge pin & cost you parts of A-main finishes.. Then you can do as Todd of TLR, the people who are doing their best to do right by their customers, OR if that is not security enough for you, then do as others suggested w/the 22 shock shaft work around.

I dare the people how are the most ticked to find many or any other companies with this level of product support & service.

Lastly, as stated in earlier pages, call Horizon.
Don't just come to this thread, Bash, & complain 1st.

There are at least 5 TLR guys, that I can identify, contributing to sharing knowledge, experience, setups, tips on this thread! Be happy they are hear & listening! I am!

Last edited by Beau S; 02-08-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Tech Adept

Smile

Originally Posted by Beau S
I get you're ticked, but gimme a break at you being rude over their testing. Go back through and read what all people have bee hitting & running into with their cars.. WHY would TLR test the cars ability to withstand full speed impact into a steel pipe or wall.. It's a racer, not a basher!

That being said, I acknowledge racers have broken the pins in not such extreme incidents too. Again, things as STATED not seen during Pros or Team Testing.

Now my 2cents: I am a tinkerer, & have had many project xx4's with differing mods.. One I stuck with was using 22 front Hinge pins - grove & all. I stopped using them bcz they broke on me, no set screw, no front brace.. Thinking it was a front brace issue I created one.. Broke another 22 pin.. Thru a lil more experience I notice they broke in a solid tumbled, not front impact. Concluded it might be the nonbraced side that flexed the pin just enough to put pressure on the groove & snapped the harden steel. That still takes a LOT of force.
My soln to that was use 22 front shock shafts as hinge pins, & zero issues since.

So I cannot speak to the issue with the 22-4.. I do know 3 racers with them that are not Pros & have not broken anything in 2wks of racing.
IF, you are worried that your 22-4 might break the hinge pin & cost you parts of A-main finishes.. Then you can do as Todd of TLR, the people who are doing their best to do right by their customers, OR if that is not security enough for you, then do as others suggested w/the 22 shock shaft work around.

I dare the people how are the most ticked to find many or any other companies with this level of product support & service.

There are at least 5 TLR guys, that I can identify, contributing to sharing knowledge, experience, setups, tips on this thread! Be happy they are hear & listening! I am!

+1
Old 02-08-2014, 07:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

My soln to that was use 22 front shock shafts as hinge pins, & zero issues since.

+2
Old 02-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

My soln to that was use 22 front shock shafts as hinge pins, & zero issues since. Note: the pins don't seem to break in the 22 buggies.. So I do not question the quality if the pins.

+3

Complaints are always the loudest and most often posted a forum.

Also, most new cars have initial issues (22 1.0 ball diff issues anyone?).
Old 02-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Add another broken pin/arm to the list. Not even three packs through the buggy too, but I was running on a banked carpet oval when it happened and had tagged the inside wall several times before it broke. If you're wondering why I'm running indoors on the carpet, it's because we don't have any indoor dirt racks in my area and we have way too much snow and theres no way I can wait until May to run this thing lol. A little irritating but more my fault than anything. Just weird that I have never broken one of these pins in any of my 22t's or sct's whether it be in the dirt or on the carpet at our indoor track. I even made extra wide hexes for my 22T so I could use T4 wheels (even wider yet) and it was so much extra stress that I snapped several spindles practicing one night but still not the pin. I think I happen to have some of the buggy shock shafts so I'll try that for now but wouldn't mind seeing a cleaner solution from Losi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.