Search
Like Tree28Likes

TLR 22-4 THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrousdave
Add another broken pin/arm to the list. Not even three packs through the buggy too, but I was running on a banked carpet oval when it happened and had tagged the inside wall several times before it broke. If you're wondering why I'm running indoors on the carpet, it's because we don't have any indoor dirt racks in my area and we have way too much snow and theres no way I can wait until May to run this thing lol. A little irritating but more my fault than anything. Just weird that I have never broken one of these pins in any of my 22t's or sct's whether it be in the dirt or on the carpet at our indoor track. I even made extra wide hexes for my 22T so I could use T4 wheels (even wider yet) and it was so much extra stress that I snapped several spindles practicing one night but still not the pin. I think I happen to have some of the buggy shock shafts so I'll try that for now but wouldn't mind seeing a cleaner solution from Losi.
Carpets hard on everything! lol I remember when we actual broke rx crystals from pan cans tacking walls.

Q: for my own info.. Did you notice that hinge pin had broke after the arm broke on you? How did the arm break by the front brace or by the bottom of the chassis. And did it do any damage to your bulkhead too?

If would be awesome if anyone else that's broken hinge pins could answer these too!

thanks
Old 02-08-2014, 10:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Need some setup help. I run my car at a small indoor carpet track and run the kit setup with the top of the rear shocks layed down by one hole, and am running the +1.5 rear hexes. Have clicker locked with red spacer and have the slipper real tight.
The car works pretty well for me, but I drive it like a 2wd instead of the 4wd it is.
I let somebody drive it who normally drives a Durango 4wd buggy, and drives it well.When he drove it hard, he said the car pushes like a pig on power around corners and I noticed it as well. I run yellow Schuie tires front and rear so it shouldn't push.
What can I try to dial it in some more. I was told by one person to install the sway bar kit, and told by somebody else to go from 32.5 (I think that is kit oil) to 40 weight up front.

Any help is appreciated. Like I said I didn't really notice the push as I didn't push it so hard around corners.

Love the car but making slow progress with it. Mind you I let 2 of the tracks best drivers run it, and they turned a few 13.2 laps, and I ran a few 13.7 and 13.8's so I am happy. I did break 2 front arms though and 2 hinge pins, arms right at hinge pin. Only one other guy at the track had a 22-4 and he had problems as well.

Thanks in advance..
Old 02-08-2014, 10:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Beau I haven't ran mine yet but from the 4 arm breaks I've personally seen was first the pin, up front and nothing else broke or cracked. All the pins have broke by the grub screw groove. The only reason I say the pin first is because you hear a pinging noise first then the crack from the plastic arm.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Tech Regular

Just out of curiosity how far is everyone screwing that grub screw in, personally i've only screwed mine in as far as i feel it come into contact with the pin, dont know if this is the reason but i've put 2 solid days on mine with no issues and i've hit everything at least once
Old 02-08-2014, 10:32 PM
Tech Regular

I also bought these the other night but haven't got them yet but they might be worth a try, they will have to be down down abit

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ension-Shaft-2
Old 02-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

ahhhhh today was a roller coaster with my 22-4 started out AMAZING on the first pack, then a odd glitch developed.... but only when on the gas. After re-soldering the esc, switching esc, and servo it was still there. I finally pulled out he old servo and checked the lead and lone behold it was rubbed raw by the midshaft. time for a new servo. shoppin ahaha the car is too great I just wish I got to run it more today.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Tech Adept

Broke two hinge pins tonight. Luckily I noticed the car not tracking straight on the first break before I did any other damage. Pretty bummed as the second one broke in warm up before the main. Lawn darted the triple and heard the snap. After breaking the first one I removed the grub screw on both sides but still broke it. So, I don't know if the grub screw has anything to do with it.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well I raced mine Friday night and Saturday at AMS Raceway in Grand Blanc without incident. Only had one DNF, and that was due to a stripped servo horn. Dakotah Phend was there and his dad gave me one of his 25t horns since he doesn't use them. The new one felt a little loose too (yes it was the correct spline for my servo) so I put a small piece of electrical tape over the servo output before pressing the horn on. Made it fit much tighter. I am only running a 10.5 motor, while everyone else is running at least a 6.5 turn. Track is a big indoor 1/8th scale track, but I was holding on to my own everywhere except the straight and still not doing too bad there. I think it was actually a good idea to start with a 10.5 since I am new to the class. Looking forward to racing next weekend.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pedro150
Just out of curiosity how far is everyone screwing that grub screw in, personally i've only screwed mine in as far as i feel it come into contact with the pin, dont know if this is the reason but i've put 2 solid days on mine with no issues and i've hit everything at least once
Folks here are saying that the team guys do not use that grub screw.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I Tq'd oh yeah the kit was all night long all over a 20 lap pace. Man I wanted the 20, 1 fobble will bring you off it though I got a 19/5:01. So in the main I came out like a pro racer on steroids and was a lap on the field then it happened. (Sniffle sniffle) 3 or 4 laps to go and the front belt gave up on me. It brought me to a crawl. Ended up 6th. Grrrrr! Oh the horror of trying to crawl the track and save the race. Well they cant take my TQ from LOL.

36 packs and the front belt went. 2 race days and 2 practice days on it so my guess is a good maintenance regiment would be 30 packs or 3 race days then inspect the belts. Diffs are still pretty smooth but I may rebuild them as well while its apart...

Note:: a good idea for TLR would be small belt packaging and a rear belt package.

Overall the kit is as fast and getting faster than my 44.2. Now that I have spent some quality time with this kit I realize the difference in the drive train and how it feels. The rotation of the belts and lay shaft in line with the rotation off the kit vs. the spinning rotation on a shaft drive. The 22.4 is flat out a better jumper and on power is much more stable. Off power the kit has the ability to come in hotter under braking. I never saw a kit hang on to the track like this thing. In the 3rd round all I heard was its loose its loose and in the 44.2 it would be. Get this in the dry (hard packed) I had my best run...LOL never even noticed how loose it was. My 44.2 would have been slow in that round...
Old 02-09-2014, 07:09 AM
Tech Regular

Cracked my nail trying to put the front body clip on my TLR 22-4 last night. TLR could you please come up with a fix?
Old 02-09-2014, 07:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The fix is to cut the nose off the front of the body and not run the front clip. Allows more airflow into the body too.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:31 AM
Tech Addict

old servo and checked the lead and lone behold it was rubbed raw by the midshaft. time for a new servo.
um...why? sounds like a little soldering and shrink wrap can splice that right back up.....new servo because of a chafed wire....I don't think so...may even give you a chance to make the wire JUST the right length....
Old 02-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

22-4 this car is the Shi mo. Thank you Tlr.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Speed Freak RC
The fix is to cut the nose off the front of the body and not run the front clip. Allows more airflow into the body too.
Thanks, speedfreak I tried that and it caused me to break a front hinge pin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.