Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree28Likes

TLR 22-4 THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 08:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have snapped way too many front inner hinge pin in this buggy..... i like how it drives
Awesome performance. I have snapped both front inner hinge pin that came with the kit.
The i ordered 3 more set from amainhobbies which i have snapped 2 front inner hinge pin
Today... unbelieveable. The front a arm didnt break but pin just snapped where the grub screw
Is suppose to be holding the pin. My buddy also snapped his as well. Did not break his arm either
And if we want new himge pin we have to buy the whole set?

Could this be an issue from over hardening or too much carbon contents percentage in the
TiCN material? Even my replacement parts also snapped like the one in my kit. I would prefer
The steel version of this front inner hingepin rather than something with fancy name on the
Periodic table.

any respinse from TLR is very much appreciate.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Finished final electronics last night and started diff adjustment and break-in. I've only run it on wet pavement and seems to handle REALLY nice. I love the sound of this buggy(or lack of it). It's even more quiet than than my 2wd cars. Can't wait to take it to the track.

Last edited by canbarelyhover; 02-08-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by frozencone
I have snapped way too many front inner hinge pin in this buggy..... i like how it drives
Awesome performance. I have snapped both front inner hinge pin that came with the kit.
The i ordered 3 more set from amainhobbies which i have snapped 2 front inner hinge pin
Today... unbelieveable. The front a arm didnt break but pin just snapped where the grub screw
Is suppose to be holding the pin. My buddy also snapped his as well. Did not break his arm either
And if we want new himge pin we have to buy the whole set?

Could this be an issue from over hardening or too much carbon contents percentage in the
TiCN material? Even my replacement parts also snapped like the one in my kit. I would prefer
The steel version of this front inner hingepin rather than something with fancy name on the
Periodic table.

any respinse from TLR is very much appreciate.
Same here, broke one hinge pin, the tab did not even break. I have to miss the race tomorrow because of this, I'am verry disappointed. Would like to know if this problem will be fixed or they will act like they are no problem.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Was told by horizon tech support last night to leave the grub screw OUT of the arm and just use the front holder to keep the pin in place. I mentioned to them that ALL of us were snapping the hinge pin and that the back half just falls out and allows the arm to wallow around in the back until the arm finally gives in and breaks. He said the team guys are NOT using the screw in the arm anymore.

He will send a message to the parts dept to see if they can sell the front pins separate from the rest of the ones for the rear. I really don't want to spend $16 everytime I need a front pin.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

If I can find a source for steel 3.5mm stock, I'll just make my own pins. I think the shock shafts are the same size. I wonder how strong the E clips are? Ti-Ni shafts should be plentiful enough behind the counter. E clip toward the front and maybe we can find one that allows a nut behind the A arm to fit?
Old 02-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan1942
I thought the diff screws were supposed to face the driver's side. I think it was mentioned quite a few pages back. Not sure if I am right.
100% correct, diff screws should be facing the left side (drivers side) of the car. I've marked my outdrives with a silver marker/paint pen to remind me for easy re-installs.

I have also broken both front arms and snapped hinge pins at the center seam. I will be omitting the grub screws from now on.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

This was my solution for the hingepins, never broke again. They are the old 22 rear shock shafts lol, front ones should probably work also.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

So why would the grub screws be causing the hinge pins to break more often than not using them?
Old 02-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Autocratic
So why would the grub screws be causing the hinge pins to break more often than not using them?
Sounds like the grub screw damages the hinge pin when it is first installed. My guess is that the damage is already done if you used the grub screws when you built the kit (as I did)
Old 02-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

It is not the set screw. The hinge pin will fall out if you don't install the set screw. This same method is used on the 22 buggy and is not a problem. It is a bad set of hinge pins that is causing the issue. They will fix it.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just took mine out but based on Casper's comment I guess I'll put mine back in and go through the 22-4 initiation process like everyone else...lol

Old 02-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vito
looks like room for a shorty on the left
Old 02-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
It is not the set screw. The hinge pin will fall out if you don't install the set screw. This same method is used on the 22 buggy and is not a problem. It is a bad set of hinge pins that is causing the issue. They will fix it.
I just ordered one set of hinge pins, they will break like the stock one's?
Old 02-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

The material they are made out of is very strong and slick, but brittle. My guess is that the screws put the pin in enough tension that a strong impact shatters the pin right at the stress point (grub screw) Think of them like tempered glass. Without the screw, the pin can take the hit and doesn't shatter. Horizon tech support guy told me last night that 'the guys' have been running without the screws and have had no problems with the pins falling out.
In my case, I could clearly tell that the back half of the pin was gone by seeing the wheel oscillation as it was passing me by the drivers stand. I went a few laps like that during the main and on the next hard roll, the arm snapped at the front attachment point. The front of the pin was still in place while the rear part was MIA.

I'm probably going the shock shaft route like I thought about a week ago. Small nuts in front and an E clip in back just in case. And they are cheaper by at least $6-7. I really can't afford to keep buying $16 worth of useless rear pins that come with the front ones.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by fredmotokx
I just ordered one set of hinge pins, they will break like the stock one's?
Possibly. A few messages down someone ordered new ones and they still broke.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.