Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Todd, thank you for all your hard work and effort. It's much appreciated by everyone in the club.

-Korey
Old 12-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'll tell you what Todd...I will lay on the carpet and let you drag me around!

I'll try to make it down to help.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Friday de-grit, OK, I will be available to help.

-Alex
Old 12-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
Todd, may i suggest a leaf blower instead of all that manual labor your considering. i may even have one to donate. the leaf blower will get rid of most of the grains, dragging the carpet and brooming will only break more grit loose, IMO

so far, I have no damage from the grit.
I agree with Ritchie here.

The main thing is to get any issues with the grit before laying out the new carpet. Even just once it could be a bad thing. Once the new carpet is layed down on the surface if anything sticks to the underside, it will easily release to the top when rolled up and back out.

I would still recomend blowing off the surface each time before the new carpet goes down. It doesnt take much time, even faster if two are used.

When I was setting up at burien. It was either hosed off (during warm days), or blown off (on colder days or wet/humid days), sometimes both. Doing this really helped keep the damaging debri away.

I have had no problems with the grit here, but I have seen the others.

Kevin
Old 12-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Okay, as many of you know, we are building a new track in January. We'll have new carpet and new barriers. But, we need a layout. We will not be changing layouts! So, the one we choose should have classic elements that will provide for awesome racing over the long term.

Here's the spec and materials:

84' by 50' overall dimension.
Minimum 8' lane width.
Back straight width should be 10'.
No dots on high speed sweepers.

540' of vinyl downspout in 10' lengths.
High density flapper plastic in maximum 8' lengths.
Plastic dots.
Green infield carpet.

There can be no more than six odd-size downspout sections, including the necessary two for the 84' perimeter barrier. In other words, the main barrier comes in 10' sticks. We're not chopping it up!

It should be neither a "sedan" track nor a "1:12" track. We're looking for an iconic Hangar 30 track.

It runs clockwise.

You can circulate your submission for critique on the 19th and 23rd. Drawings must be to scale on graph paper with downspout sections clearly indicated.

Racers in attendance on the 30th will choose the layout. By consensus, if possible; by vote, if necessary.

The club buys the winner a body and tires of his or her choice from the RC Hobbies tub.

Todd M.
Awesome idea Todd....I'm proud of you grasshopper!!
I'm sorry to say though, that dealing with Ampdraw has really taken the fire out of my comeback outing. So my revisit to 1/12th scale racing utopia is once again on hold
Your ROAST BEEF order needs a raincheck
Old 12-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JayBee
Awesome idea Todd....I'm proud of you grasshopper!!
I'm sorry to say though, that dealing with Ampdraw has really taken the fire out of my comeback outing. So my revisit to 1/12th scale racing utopia is once again on hold
Your ROAST BEEF order needs a raincheck
You can still stop in for a pat on the back. Just watch out for some of the signs we may put on your back
Old 12-14-2009, 09:21 AM
piper48

Does anyone remember those 3250mah Core batteries that S.I.R. use to sell? Anyone remember what the C ratings were on those packs?

Old 12-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by piper48
Does anyone remember those 3250mah Core batteries that S.I.R. use to sell? Anyone remember what the C ratings were on those packs?
Core RC 3250mah. 20 C
Old 12-14-2009, 10:14 AM
piper48

Thanks Mike.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I was thinking about the grit situation, and it occurred to me.... The grit might have been particularly bad on Wendesday because of our lift/rotate/drag maneuver at the last Saturday event.

-Mike
Old 12-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Does anyone know how to get ahold of Stewart (vwman85 on here)?

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Korey, congrat to Hot bodies for the win(s) at the KO grand prix.

http://www.redrc.net/page/2/

no more excuses
Old 12-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Okay, as many of you know, we are building a new track in January. .....

There can be no more than six odd-size downspout sections, including the necessary two for the 84' perimeter barrier. In other words, the main barrier comes in 10' sticks. We're not chopping it up!
Todd M.
what about curves ???
Attached Thumbnails Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-11122009001.jpg   Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-11122009002.jpg  
Old 12-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
what about curves ???
Well, we have an assortment of means at hand to cover the "change of direction" portions of the track. Dots, flappers, interior green carpet and a limited number of built barrier sections. All have their place and utility.

I will say this, sweepers are the one section of the track, and the portion of the design, that may require departures from the strict spec. As we know, the hangar floor is flat, but it's far from perfectly flat. So, it's possible that a long run of flapper plastic will not be suitable for a sweeper. That could leave a gap between the floor and the turn barrier that would be just as bad as PVC pipe for snagging cars. On the other hand, as we lay out the carpet and locate the different sections of the layout, it may occur that our sweeper radii fall within their slabs. If so, we're golden with the flapper plastic. If we have to cross a seam, though... We may have to build a compound curve out of shorter sections of downspout, or of flapper. I honestly don't know. That will be the onsite design/build part of our day. Troy and Kevin will be bringing extra joint material for that very purpose, and we will have a table saw and miter saw on hand to work with.

Todd M.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Maybe we can bend that downspout with a bit of heat and get a nice quarter round ....... or it would buckle ?

Last edited by Magnet Top; 12-15-2009 at 10:34 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.