Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 05-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm not sure what to do with mine, I'd be happy to buy a 1s and trade my Hacker 17.5 for a 10.5 (anyone?) if that is going to become the standard setup. I sold my ta05 so I'll have to figure something out by the next hangar race.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 2009/2010 12th Scale

There will be discussion regarding this, but here's my take on our 1/12th scale class for next season. Times of transition are difficult, and the lipo application in 1/12th scale will be more problematic than it proved to be for sedans. But I think it's inevitable.

I don't think it strains credibility to say that 1S/13.5 will be the core 1/12th class in two years' time. It will be a tick slower than the current 4-cell/13.5 format, but it's already faster than 4-cell Stock. I think for regular club racing it is fast enough to keep the veterans' interest. I also think that the 4-cell class that will endure the longest is Stock. The largest class at carpet Nats was Stock 1/12th by a comfortable margin.

For 2009/2010, I propose:

1/12th Scale
1S/13.5, 730g or
4-cell Stock 17.5/27t, 795g.

They will run together. A well-sorted Stock car can make the A, but I think it gives newer 1/12th drivers a chance to drive Stock, in a robust field that will nevertheless sort itself out in qualifying.

As 1/12th grows, as I believe it will, the fast class I would like to add at Hangar 30 is 1/12th Modified, 1S only. But that's down the road a bit.

Todd M.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

This should be properly solidified through "cheers" and clanging of pint glasses.

Otherwise it's just dust in the wind.

Makes no difference to me 13.5 or 10.5...just want to buy 1 motor if possible.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jubilee
...just want to buy 1 motor if possible.
You must have meant to say at least one motor. 'Cuz I look around and I dont see anyone yet who gets away with having only one of each motor. I believe it is called a pipe dream. Or maybe its pie in the sky. Or pipe in the sky? Pie dream? Lucy in the sky, with pie!

Mmmm....pie.

"Resistance to pie is futile"

But I kid. Or, do I?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gwhiz
You must have meant to say at least one motor. 'Cuz I look around and I dont see anyone yet who gets away with having only one of each motor. I believe it is called a pipe dream. Or maybe its pie in the sky. Or pipe in the sky? Pie dream? Lucy in the sky, with pie!

Mmmm....pie.

"Resistance to pie is futile"

But I kid. Or, do I?
American Pie? Golden Pie? Whiskey and Pie? I drove my chevy to the levy but the levy was pie?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Pie or is is Pi?

Originally Posted by beez
American Pie? Golden Pie? Whiskey and Pie? I drove my chevy to the levy but the levy was pie?
Hmmmm, or is it "Double Hmmmm"!!!!!!!! And "I Thought" Pi was the Geometric Multiplier enabling us to determine "Rollout" and other such necessities important to our hobby. Speaking of "Rollout", these "Latest Rule Changes", and the "decissions being formulated as a reaction to this ROAR Announcement", will likely lead to myself and others "Rollout" from the 12th scale class.

"Let them eat Cake" (Marie/whats her name) to the peasants of the French Revolution era! (note- "Cake" is the crusty residue/buildup in ovens from the baking process)

Last edited by el salvador; 05-10-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

http://www.roarracing.com/news.php

May 06, 2009
The ROAR Executive Committee proudly announces that with the introduction of lithium polymer battery technology into the ROAR rules a little more than 16 months ago electric rc racing in the US has seen a major shift in the predominant battery technology being used by our racing members and sold by our manufacturing affiliates. Lipo batteries have been embraced by rc racers across this country and it is the battery technology choice of today and the foreseeable future for 1/10th and 1/8th electric on and off road racing. In ROAR’s effort to be leaders in the implementation of new technologies the switch to predominantly lipo racing has left one group of racers without a good viable lipo solution for competitive racing and that has been those using 4 cell NiMh mainly in pan cars for 1/12th and 1/10th on road racing.

This has now changed with the development of the first ROAR approved 1s hard case 3.7v batteries designed specifically for 1/12th and 1/10th pan cars and the introduction of this battery technology into ROAR lipo battery rules and 1/12th On Road and 1/10th WGT class rules. The class rules for 1/12th and WGT will remain unchanged with the exception of minimum weights as follows:

1s 1/12th: 730 gr
1s WGT: 930 gr.

Stock will still run 17.5 brushless, Super Stock 13.5 brushless and mod will be open mod. These new classes will be separate classes and there are no plans for parity combination classes of lipo and round cells. The round cell class weight rules will remain in the rule book for the foreseable future.

The intent of these rules is to provide those track/clubs with existing lipo pan car classes, or those track/clubs whishing to start lipo pan car classes a national set of rules for the upcoming ’09-’10 on road carpet season and an eventual move to lipo/brushless only for ROAR electric on road and off road national events possibly as early as 2010.

1s Lipo 1/12th and 1/10th racing has been on the rise for some time now. It has been tested by many across the country and the results have been positive. Lower weights, lighter, nimbler cars, with a little less rip and wear in all areas have added up to competitive, close and fun racing for those that have already made the jump to 1s lipo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm fine with it, in my meager 1/12 experience. Lipo/BL for buggy/truck racing is waaaay more fun and less hassle than the NiMh/brushed I used years ago. Why wouldn't this translate to 1/12 as well?

I'll be keeping my eye on what the esc manufacturers are doing...supposedly Tekin is working on a software update for the existing RS that would eliminate the booster or battery and allow use of voltage cutoff and on/off switch. I'm sure Alex is on point for this info...

Where are you guys getting your 16 gauge wire? Will be installing electronics in the gen-x on tues night.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Get your colored b/l 16 wires from TQ Racing. Good stuff, very flexible. Get the noodle sensor harness wire while you're at it.

I will be at the Hanger Wed with the 1C lipo MS3 prototype sorting out the platform. Yes, there are some electronics to sort out, but this is the future. Time to get on board or get left behind. I did do some initial tests at FW with a 10.5 against a 13 4 cell of Ritchie's ride. Obviously, his car was well sorted and did very well taking TQ for the day. In the end, I was about 3/4's of a lap back (6 minute race). At one point, the 10.5 was a near match for the 4c/13.5, but the sorted chassis simply prevailed in the end. With some more time, I think that the 10.5/1c could catch up, but it may only equal what the 4c could do on a big asphalt track. Now with the smaller carpet coming up quickly, can a 1c car with equal motor and lighter weight get within a lap of the 4c cars? That will be tough, but it will all be relative. Since there is no comparity, who cares? It will be lipo vs lipo and old school vs old school.

Swing by and see what we're up to!

Brian
Old 05-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

FYI, the BMI at FW is the same setup as the BMI at the Hanger. only a guess on the tires that seemed to work, maybe the trick to 1s is cut the race down to 7 or even 6 minutes. that would solve many issues
Old 05-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I am just happy they have stabilized the rules, we can all run without wondering what it will be. I have really enjoyed the 1s 13.5, its just about right for where I am at. It is good that they have a place to graduate up to as well with an open mod class, and a starting point class with 17.5.

Overall, the wear and tear is definitely better at the lower weight.

I am a little worried that because of not having a mix of the round cells cars and 1s lipo that the lack of numbers will have a detrimental effect on turnout, but I guess time will tell. Clubs will probably have to just run them together based on turnout, big races may have enough numbers to decide to run separate races for each.

The Tekin RS firmware is still getting worked out, they released a version, only to have a slight glitch in the interface, not how it actually operates in the ESC. Should be fixed soon, I hope before Wednesday. You do need to run a booster or an external battery pack. I am very happy with running a booster. simple and works fine. You don't have to worry if for some reason you don't get the external pack charged.

Ritchie, what issues are apparent from a 1s that running 6 or 7 minutes would solve? or were you just giving Brian a little...

I am almost done putting a 1s WGT together as well. Too busy right now at work and the evenings with my kids baseball games this week, to get it ready for Wednesday, damn. Also, hoping to start running at FW, Jake seems to be having too much fun for me to ignore.

Sorry you are unhappy with the rules Sal. I like to race, at any speed, well almost, the silvercan 1/12 wasn't going to cut it, but I am glad we gave it a try.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Tech Elite

Are you guys using this?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/34430

$35 seems a little pricey...?
Old 05-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I think that Ritchie is try to give me a hard time. At FW, I forgot to charge the bat for the main. It did run for 5 minutes. I do not foresee any issue making runtime what so ever on a 4000mah 1C pack, even with a 10.5 I am not running a booster at this time as I had a rx pack just laying around. $35 seems a little ridiculous. Scottrick had a source for under $7. I can predict that the electronics guys are just waiting for the green light to make up ecs's with internal boosters that will operate just like a regulator.... no matter what goes in, 6v at 3 amps comes out. That would solve everything.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default booster

I was working on building a booster before seeing the 7. dollar one. I have one, and have been running it, and it works ok. It gives you 5 volts at 1.5 amps, which should be enough for most, but if you want to get 6 volts for just a touch more servo speed and 3 amps, which might be needed with digital servos under max load, then the 35. Novak booster is needed. I doubt that in our 1/12 or even the WGT ,we really need the 3 amps, but I have not actually checked. If you feel you need the 3 amps, run two of the 7. dollar ones in parallel, that will double your amp output. They are pretty small, and that should work, in fact I will try that to be sure, since I have a spare. I am not sure that the ESC manufacturers will be building this booster feature in, the extra components to boost the voltage takes up a fair amount of space usually. But it would not surprise me if they figured out a way, they always seem to like challenges.

-Alex
Old 05-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
Get your colored b/l 16 wires from TQ Racing. Good stuff, very flexible. Get the noodle sensor harness wire while you're at it.
What length sensor harness do you use, and will you bring a thrust bearing for me on Wed night?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Mini me, please

Not to change the subject, but I am itching to run my mini.

I thought I might try and drum up some interest on here so we might have a decent turnout for some front-wheel drive action this wednesday.

Any takers?

-G

P.S. Jubilee: R/C Hobbies in Woodinville carries nice noodle-y 16g wire (black and red).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.