Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree367Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 11-30-2009, 10:11 PM
  #2026  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
Slapmaster6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Edmonds, Wash.
Posts: 3,188
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RcHammer
ok brian, how do i go fast like you?
when running 13.5 what rollout am i going to want to run?


are you going to be around wed. night? ill pummel you with a ton of other errr questions...

Erik
I don't know that I will be able to make the next H30 race on the 9th. I am leaving first thing in the morning for a short week. First off, fast is relative to those around you. I am not the fastest guy, but I like to think that I have a successful formula. One of the most important things I want is a car that is consistently predictable, then make it go fast. A fast unpredictable car is expensive to maintain. Next, make it a goal to not hit anything on the track. Anticipate every scenario. Leave yourself time to react to something that hasn't happened yet, but could. Crashing cars and marshals move in a predictable way, learn to avoid them. Don't fold under pressure, but learn how to apply it when it's appropriate. Be proud of your efforts, do not except a sloppy effort. Be happy with a 3rd place that you drove 105%, not with a victory that required only 90%.

I am rolling about 78-80mm with 13.5 with the Tekin. You will need do to something different with each piece of different equipment, there is no one size fits all for roll out.

17.5 was in the low 90's. Zander was using upper 90's with the SPX.
Slapmaster6000 is offline  
Old 11-30-2009, 10:14 PM
  #2027  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (14)
 
skypilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,647
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

as long as those that show are willing to split it.
skypilot is offline  
Old 11-30-2009, 10:17 PM
  #2028  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (14)
 
skypilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,647
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
I don't know that I will be able to make the next H30 race on the 9th. I am leaving first thing in the morning for a short week. First off, fast is relative to those around you. I am not the fastest guy, but I like to think that I have a successful formula. One of the most important things I want is a car that is consistently predictable, then make it go fast. A fast unpredictable car is expensive to maintain. Next, make it a goal to not hit anything on the track. Anticipate every scenario. Leave yourself time to react to something that hasn't happened yet, but could. Crashing cars and marshals move in a predictable way, learn to avoid them. Don't fold under pressure, but learn how to apply it when it's appropriate. Be proud of your efforts, do not except a sloppy effort. Be happy with a 3rd place that you drove 105%, not with a victory that required only 90%.

I am rolling about 78-80mm with 13.5 with the Tekin. You will need do to something different with each piece of different equipment, there is no one size fits all for roll out.

17.5 was in the low 90's. Zander was using upper 90's with the SPX.
just to set the record straight, you can only give 100%.
skypilot is offline  
Old 11-30-2009, 10:30 PM
  #2029  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
mkdut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: RC Retired
Posts: 1,961
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by skypilot
just to set the record straight, you can only give 100%.
What if he only gave 95% the time before? Can he hold over the 5% for the next race?
mkdut is offline  
Old 11-30-2009, 11:09 PM
  #2030  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (101)
 
corallyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonds, Wash
Posts: 4,707
Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by skypilot
just to set the record straight, you can only give 100%.
I don't know about this, I have stood next to guys on both sides of me that were practically shaking the driver's stand down. I think they were both giving it more than 105%. I know I was giving more than 100% keeping my car on the track. Not easy.

Steve
corallyman is offline  
Old 11-30-2009, 11:17 PM
  #2031  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (261)
 
Scottrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 6,380
Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)
Default

Take it from the resident mathematician...Ritchie is correct. The challenge is what 90% of the population THINK is a 100% personal effort ain't even close. Don't believe me? Try boot camp. Or watch the first week or two of Biggest Loser.

Then the guys who survived boot that go on to SEAL training even learn that the comparatively high level of physical and mental performance that cut the mustard in boot ain't even close to their ACTUAL 100%. Actually, about 75% of them find out it was (or damn close to it), but the 25% (or so) who survive SEAL training have found that 100% was far higher than they'd ever imagined. They are NOT the guys you want to challenge to any sort of physical or mental games.

Or pick a fight with.
Scottrik is offline  
Old 12-01-2009, 12:30 AM
  #2032  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
Canyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,158
Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)
Default

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.
Canyon is offline  
Old 12-01-2009, 10:46 AM
  #2033  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Kcdzim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 895
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Take it from the resident mathematician...Ritchie is correct.
Except, as Mkdut said, if you drove at only 95% usually, and then you drove at 100%, then in that instance you would be giving 105.2631578949368421% more than you usually drive (100/95 = 1.052631578949368421...). So while it's not possible to drive at more than 100% of total capability, it IS possible to "give" more than 100% (assuming you drive at less than 100% capability normally)
Kcdzim is offline  
Old 12-01-2009, 10:55 AM
  #2034  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (261)
 
Scottrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 6,380
Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Kcdzim
Except, as Mkdut said, if you drove at only 95% usually, and then you drove at 100%, then in that instance you would be giving 105.2631578949368421% more than you usually drive (100/95 = 1.052631578949368421...). So while it's not possible to drive at more than 100% of total capability, it IS possible to "give" more than 100% (assuming you drive at less than 100% capability normally)
No...it IS possible to improve on an "imperfect" performance is all that proves.

Mike was joking anyway. As was I.
Scottrik is offline  
Old 12-01-2009, 11:08 AM
  #2035  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
mkdut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: RC Retired
Posts: 1,961
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Take it from the resident mathematician...Ritchie is correct. The challenge is what 90% of the population THINK is a 100% personal effort ain't even close. Don't believe me? Try boot camp. Or watch the first week or two of Biggest Loser.

Then the guys who survived boot that go on to SEAL training even learn that the comparatively high level of physical and mental performance that cut the mustard in boot ain't even close to their ACTUAL 100%. Actually, about 75% of them find out it was (or damn close to it), but the 25% (or so) who survive SEAL training have found that 100% was far higher than they'd ever imagined. They are NOT the guys you want to challenge to any sort of physical or mental games.

Or pick a fight with.
You're right. The problem is most people don't realize what 100% actually is. Normal operating mode is probably at about 75% which they perceive as 100% so when they step it up a notch and give 80% the perception is that they actually are giving 105%(actually more like 106.67%). So in essence one can store up 5% for the next race and give a perceived 105%. I myself like to operate at about 90%(that's perceived 90%. Actual 90% results in me frequently throwing my car) and then when I need to really go fast I can kick it up to 100% which 60% of the time works every time.
mkdut is offline  
Old 12-01-2009, 11:12 AM
  #2036  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
Slapmaster6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Edmonds, Wash.
Posts: 3,188
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Slapmaster6000 is offline  
Old 12-01-2009, 11:14 AM
  #2037  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
mkdut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: RC Retired
Posts: 1,961
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
Exactly
mkdut is offline  
Old 12-01-2009, 11:16 AM
  #2038  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (261)
 
Scottrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 6,380
Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mkdut
You're right. The problem is most people don't realize what 100% actually is. Normal operating mode is probably at about 75% which they perceive as 100% so when they step it up a notch and give 80% the perception is that they actually are giving 105%(actually more like 106.67%). So in essence one can store up 5% for the next race and give a perceived 105%. I myself like to operate at about 90%(that's perceived 90%. Actual 90% results in me frequently throwing my car) and then when I need to really go fast I can kick it up to 100% which 60% of the time works every time.
Oww...I think my brain just exploded. Unfortunately it was a VERY small "pop".
Scottrik is offline  
Old 12-01-2009, 11:21 AM
  #2039  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PacNW
Posts: 3,010
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Mike D droppin' science.

jubilee is offline  
Old 12-01-2009, 11:35 AM
  #2040  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
dsrbltoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 890
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Just check their drawers for the other 5%.
It'll scare the crap outta ya!
Sometimes you dont want to know when they gave to give it their all! EEWWW
dsrbltoys is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.