Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok, I'll do it:

SAND
Old 12-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by crazy5
He really isn't any bigger than you!
I'm just trying to get him to bring marshmallows. So in this instance, I'm a tiny tiny little brother wanting some marshmallows for my cocoa
Old 12-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

We comparing sizes in here.....?

My fronts are 42mm, how 'bout yours?
Old 12-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Default Grit Mitigation

For those who have not attended a H30 race this past month, there are now four tennis courts painted on the floor. The entire floor was painted green, and then blue-painted courts were laid over the green. A small amount of grit was mixed in with the blue paint to give the court surface a texture. That grit is coming out of the paint and to a limited extend, it is coming onto the track. Both from track assembly and marshalling, and from rolling the carpet up at the end of a meeting.

To provide context for my perspective, I race 1:12 scale. During the race on the 28th my tires were definitely coming off with grit on them (I have myself suffered no ill effects. It could be merely my good luck, so far.) Vacuuming the on/off portion of the track cut the effect somewhat. But there were some chunky sounding gears out there. This past Wednesday there was still grit on the track. I think there was less, others may have registered a different impression. My thinking is that there will be less and less over time. A fairly short time, as there was never that much grit to begin with. And we laid out the carpet on the tennis court before the tennis center had held even one lesson. We got it brand new and probably at its worst (though it looked its best.)

That said, I will be undertaking grit mitigation. Our next race is Saturday, December 19. Friday afternoon, the 18th, I will be going down to the hangar. We have an old roll of ragged rug in the alcove. I will get it out, unroll it, and place our cement blocks along one edge. Then I plan to drag it like a tractor plow back and forth across the north half of the hangar floor. Then I will sweep the floor with a stiff push broom. It doesn't take that long, I even have an iPod playlist for that particular task. Then I will unroll the race rug, and vacuum it. And anyway, it will be good to let the old race rug sit out overnight.

This is not that big of a deal. Hell, I pay to go to a gym, so this is free exercise. However, I could probably use some help. Just a couple guys. We can do it after dinner if that's easier. I doubt it will take more than an hour and a half, maybe two. And I think it will really take a bite out of the issue for the long run. It's not going to be an every-race thing. And better now with the old carpet than the new.

Todd M.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

When I first put my car on the track... it felt horrible. When I checked the tires it looked like I had glued sandpaper to my tires. However, on the next run everything was fine so I didn't think much of it. As the night went on, it got even better. I figure we have to put up with some junk getting in the carpet no matter what since we constantly move it in and out of the storage area.

Any other thoughts?

-Korey
Old 12-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
For those who have not attended a H30 race this past month, there are now four tennis courts painted on the floor. The entire floor was painted green, and then blue-painted courts were laid over the green. A small amount of grit was mixed in with the blue paint to give the court surface a texture. That grit is coming out of the paint and to a limited extend, it is coming onto the track. Both from track assembly and marshalling, and from rolling the carpet up at the end of a meeting.

To provide context for my perspective, I race 1:12 scale. During the race on the 28th my tires were definitely coming off with grit on them (I have myself suffered no ill effects. It could be merely my good luck, so far.) Vacuuming the on/off portion of the track cut the effect somewhat. But there were some chunky sounding gears out there. This past Wednesday there was still grit on the track. I think there was less, others may have registered a different impression. My thinking is that there will be less and less over time. A fairly short time, as there was never that much grit to begin with. And we laid out the carpet on the tennis court before the tennis center had held even one lesson. We got it brand new and probably at its worst (though it looked its best.)

That said, I will be undertaking grit mitigation. Our next race is Saturday, December 19. Friday afternoon, the 18th, I will be going down to the hangar. We have an old roll of ragged rug in the alcove. I will get it out, unroll it, and place our cement blocks along one edge. Then I plan to drag it like a tractor plow back and forth across the north half of the hangar floor. Then I will sweep the floor with a stiff push broom. It doesn't take that long, I even have an iPod playlist for that particular task. Then I will unroll the race rug, and vacuum it. And anyway, it will be good to let the old race rug sit out overnight.

This is not that big of a deal. Hell, I pay to go to a gym, so this is free exercise. However, I could probably use some help. Just a couple guys. We can do it after dinner if that's easier. I doubt it will take more than an hour and a half, maybe two. And I think it will really take a bite out of the issue for the long run. It's not going to be an every-race thing. And better now with the old carpet than the new.

Todd M.
First of all, thank you. It has been a pretty large deal for me. So far I have lost two RW spurs, 3 RR pinions, and 4 wheel bearings to the grit. And you would cringe if you heard the sound it makes when one of those little chunks gets cranked through a CV joint. Also if a chunk of it makes its way into the ultra fine shock preload collar threads you can expect a nice fresh hell. I am not alone in these experiences.

So I have switched my "good" cars over to 48p. I think they are much more tolerant of debris.

What I have not fully evaluated yet is the diff. Based on how adventuresome the little guys are I dont expect the labrynth cover to have saved me, but I can and will admit to being wrong. And I will do so happily if this is the case.

Regarding the rug squeegie job: I think you are going to want to put some kind of stick between the two weights to keep them apart while you're dragging it. I wonder if you even need the weights once you have some kind of heavy stick out there holding the trailing edge down and keeping it nice and straight.

Thanks again.

-Greg
Old 12-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Grit happens.

Thanks Todd.

I've ruined one spur on my 1/12 and Dave had some get stuck in his clam. His attitude has been poor ever since.

It just stinks that we must deal with debris of this sort on an "indoor" carpet track.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Tech Initiate

FYI, I ruined 2 spurs and a pinion. Just my 2-cents
Old 12-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Todd, may i suggest a leaf blower instead of all that manual labor your considering. i may even have one to donate. the leaf blower will get rid of most of the grains, dragging the carpet and brooming will only break more grit loose, IMO

so far, I have no damage from the grit.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What I have not fully evaluated yet is the diff. Based on how adventuresome the little guys are I dont expect the labrynth cover to have saved me, but I can and will admit to being wrong. And I will do so happily if this is the case.
Diffs should be fine. After running my T2 on a dirt oval, where a fine clay dust got into everything, I was surprised to find my diffs were actually still very clean. I am not sure about other brands, but the XRAY diff is actually pretty sealed.

This is a bummer about the grit, I was kind of wondering if they were going to do that; I am surprised they were allowed to. It is unfortunate we are all having to suffer through these people's failed business model. Any rational person looking at their website can smell fail on this one.

If a leaf blower is desired I have a nearly new in the box electric model that is pretty decent and can be donated anytime. Just let me know if you want it.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by skypilot
Todd, may i suggest a leaf blower instead of all that manual labor your considering. i may even have one to donate. the leaf blower will get rid of most of the grains, dragging the carpet and brooming will only break more grit loose, IMO

so far, I have no damage from the grit.
I thought that breaking more grit free was the point. The stuff that's going to come off easy might as well get broken off and swept outside. You might be prematurely aging their brand new court, but I'm ok with that.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jubilee
Thanks Todd.

I've ruined one spur on my 1/12 and Dave had some get stuck in his clam. His attitude has been poor ever since.

It just stinks that we must deal with debris of this sort on an "indoor" carpet track.
It's an unfair insinuation for you to talk about my clam and then say "it just stinks" in the next line.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by beez
It's an unfair insinuation for you to talk about my clam and then say "it just stinks" in the next line.
Its nothing a little motor spray cant fix.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Re: the leaf blowers, thanks Ritchie, thanks Wes. I have one, too.

But, just this once, I would like to dig in and get as much up as possible. Between the rug-drag and the push broom, I think it will really help.

I just want everyone to know that we're making the best effort possible. Dealing with public spaces can be a frustration. But the enthusiasm and turnout remains a huge encouragement. For those who travel to race at Hangar 30, and those who carve time out of their busy lives to make the show, your effort is being requited on our end. The program is working, we're handling things that come up, and with the way things are going, soon we'll be the ones calling the shots. The park stood up for us with the schedule. The tennis center has been in the works for years, and has city council approval and the whole nine yards. Times change and the financing isn't what it used to be. I wish Court Sports Unlimited no ill. They're trying hard, too. But the value in our program is apparent, and we will defend our share of the space. If it's up to Seattle RC Racers to show how an indoor program can be grown in a high cost area, then we may as well wear down the objections. We're going to make it through. These are the days that build the legend.

Thanks for hanging in.

Todd M.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Todd, Thanks for addressing the issue. The grit has caused a lot of destruction to my gear... literally ruining two sets of spurs and pinions, shock bodies, and the very likely possibility of it ruining the expensive ECS drive shafts, etc.

I'd be happy to help sweep and leaf blow after dinner on the 18th.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.