Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 02-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TracySlatten
I know Brian was thinking should I let him by or keep going, both of us could see Trav coming up. At that point I heard something from the race director that you usually do not hear. I really can't remember the last time I heard a announcer say this: "Tracy, don't pressure the leader". Kody had told me to ease up!
Wow, really? Is that an accepted practice for R/C racing?

Sure, you flubbed and got a lap down. Or maybe you didn't, maybe you just got corn-holed in the first corner and had to wait for a marshall, or maybe godzilla stepped on you. That doesn't mean you don't still have your race to run.

If I were in that position, I'd feel completely entitled to pressure the leader and try to make a clean pass to get my lap back. It's on the leader to listen to status updates and know who's in 2nd, whether that's you, and whether to let you by and run your race instead of risking a racing incident when you try to make a pass. What if that happened 2 minutes into the 8-minute main? You're just supposed to sit there and chill for 6 minutes?

If the race director says anything, I'd think it should be to tell the leader you're a lap down and he's not racing you for position.

-Mike
Old 02-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Tech Adept

Default Gear Diff

Thanks for the info I also got in touch with Jeff.

Good info on this thread.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Wow, really? Is that an accepted practice for R/C racing?

Sure, you flubbed and got a lap down. Or maybe you didn't, maybe you just got corn-holed in the first corner and had to wait for a marshall, or maybe godzilla stepped on you. That doesn't mean you don't still have your race to run.

If I were in that position, I'd feel completely entitled to pressure the leader and try to make a clean pass to get my lap back. It's on the leader to listen to status updates and know who's in 2nd, whether that's you, and whether to let you by and run your race instead of risking a racing incident when you try to make a pass. What if that happened 2 minutes into the 8-minute main? You're just supposed to sit there and chill for 6 minutes?

If the race director says anything, I'd think it should be to tell the leader you're a lap down and he's not racing you for position.

-Mike
Usually after I'm a lap down, I not in a posistion to power back past the leader. It just happened to be this way and it was more like 5-6 minutes into the main. It's just one race out of many more. Is a position or two worth the risk of a blowing up the leader...mmm...I was fine with letting up. One hero pass late in the main would not make up for a troubled start.
The leader has (IMO) has the right of way and choice. And after a few laps it was looking like I was pushing him off his lines, Kody made a race director's call, it seemed right and I went with it. If I was 6 minutes to go and a lap down, I would still be leary of screwing with the lead car. 2 minutes in and a lap down, it is not going to be my race anyway.
Tracy
Old 02-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Usually after I'm a lap down, I not in a posistion to power back past the leader. It just happened to be this way and it was more like 5-6 minutes into the main. It's just one race out of many more. Is a position or two worth the risk of a blowing up the leader...mmm...I was fine with letting up. One hero pass late in the main would not make up for a troubled start.
The leader has (IMO) has the right of way and choice. And after a few laps it was looking like I was pushing him off his lines, Kody made a race director's call, it seemed right and I went with it. If I was 6 minutes to go and a lap down, I would still be leary of screwing with the lead car. 2 minutes in and a lap down, it is not going to be my race anyway.
Tracy
I gotta agree with Tracy/Kody on this one. Late in the race like that, I'd feel pretty crappy if I were pushing too hard to get a lap back and tagged the leader, especially if 2nd place is coming up to challenge the leader. One bad corner could change a race for someone that I, being a lap down, had no chance of winning. On the positive side, to be able to challenge the leader mid race would suggest that, with a good start, you would be right in the mix, which to me sometimes is as good as winning.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

.....Of course all of this is easier said than done in the middle of a race, let alone the main.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I respect what Tracy had to do. That's a tough call to make, especially when you know you are a tad bit quicker. Tracy has been one of the fastest cars at the end of a run, he's tough! I would like to snatch that quality from his car, but I still search for it. At some point, I was thinking, man, I am going to have to let Tracy go for fear of getting tapped while Trav is on the charge. But on the flip side, I used Tracy as the "push car". Racing by yourself sometimes does not give you the pressure to continue racing hard. Tracy was making me race hard while my car was falling off. I also knew that Tracy was in the middle between myself and Trav. Unfortunately, Tracy didn't hold Trav up enough when he came up .

I had a race in Vancouver early Jan that I blew out from P2 on the grid in the first corner. I wound up racing a guy for over 4 minutes in 6th spot. I was clearly faster everywhere but couldn't pass him without roughing him up. It wasn't his fault I blew out in the first turn. It was totally up to me to pass him clean. I basically used my car up trying to make this pass, but I also earned that guy's respect and saved my pride.

Respect is better then victory. I respect what Tracy did.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tracy
This doesnt happen to me very often, but if I am in the lead and a lapped car is running alot faster at the time and is all over my ass, I will let him go to protect my lead. The circumstances are always a little different when this type of thing happens. If I get some help from the race director while driving, great. If I dont agree with what the RD is requesting, thats another story...
Old 02-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
Respect is better then victory.
These words resonate with me.

In Wednesday's Stock TC B main Jon D. and me had some sort of collision (not intentional, just one of those things, happened so fast I can't remember exactly what happened, in fact). I ended the race feeling very frustrated. As I left the driver's stand, I let my emotions get the better of me and dropped an f-bomb. OK, maybe not totally horrific but still ...

My behavior has been troubling me since the moment the few words left my mouth on Wednesday. I'm not proud of myself.

Jon, a true gentleman, popped by the pit table soon after the race. Thank you, Jon.

Nevertheless, how I handled myself leaves me questioning my respect of both others and myself. I suppose there's a lesson in there somewhere that I need to keep my head and think about others; both in life and racing.

So goes living (racing) and learning.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Lesson is everyone needs to have fun, when yOu come off the drivers stand angry and swearing you are taking it too seriously.. It will leave you angry and you will eventually quit.. Or your results will just keep getting worse, I've been there, pretty much everyone has that has been doing this for a long time. If you go not expecting anything then u always win

And where else can you hang out with awesome dudes and laugh all night.
Gotta balance the seriousness and fun of it all..

My .02cents

Also don't make rc your job.. U will hate it, unless your Maybell and it keeps him sane
Old 02-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I am glad that I now know how to define sanity. It has been on my mind a lot recently, but now we have a poster child to know what it looks like. I had always thought it was "Be like Mike", thats what had been drummed into my head anyway. Oh well, times are a changin.

Life is fun, if your not having fun, you might be dead. Something to think about...

-a

Last edited by oldrcr; 02-24-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
Lesson is everyone needs to have fun, when yOu come off the drivers stand angry and swearing you are taking it too seriously.. It will leave you angry and you will eventually quit.. Or your results will just keep getting worse, I've been there, pretty much everyone has that has been doing this for a long time. If you go not expecting anything then u always win

And where else can you hang out with awesome dudes and laugh all night.
Gotta balance the seriousness and fun of it all..

My .02cents

Also don't make rc your job.. U will hate it, unless your Maybell and it keeps him sane
Well put, the reason I quit last year was because I took it way to seriously and got frustrated. My first race back was on wed night and I went into it with the mind frame of having fun and not caring what happened. And guess what I had a great time. Probably the most fun I've had in a long time. See you guys at the ecc.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I saw Curry race in 2012!

Last edited by Wes Briscoe; 02-24-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

Default Serious fun.

I quit over over 7 years ago for the same reason as many of you. I stopped having fun. RC was becoming some sort of life or death sport for me, and it lost the hobby aspect. Needless to say I burnt myself out completely and sold most everything I had. All this time later I realize how silly all of that seriousness was. It's not like I was some national champ or something, just a club racer. Now I just take my fun seriously.

Everyone has those days or nights when nothing goes right, but sometimes I just take a step back and think about what a fun program we have, and what a badass hobby this is. That pretty much cures me every time.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hopefully people read these and get some perspective.. Rc is my stress release not the cause of stress lol, one night of racing takes away 2 weeks of working 2 jobs all day and all night
Old 02-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm definitely taking things too seriously. Thanks for the perspective.

And thanks Todd, Kody, and Alex for being RDs so the rest of us can chill back and have fun. Maybe I'll step up to that plate for next season.

-Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.