Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spec-R R1

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by metalnut
that sheered off both front body mounts basically in the same spot.
This is exactly what happened to his car. His were sheared clean off right at the upper bumper holder. I had a set of xray T2 front posts and they fit right on.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lawton70
This is exactly what happened to his car. His were sheared clean off right at the upper bumper holder. I had a set of xray T2 front posts and they fit right on.
That's pretty crazy! Maybe it was a bad batch of plastic, then. Luckily another racer had a spare set for me to use, otherwise I would have been sidelined.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Are you sure you guys aren't talking about eachother haha jk but a friend just raced his new S1 and broke a few times this past week. I have yet to break anything and this is going on season number 2. He is though a complete rookie and hit everything and everyone on the track. I was not surprised he broke parts that day. Still love this car!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Spacers on the aluminum steering rack

I was looking throught the R1 manual and comparing it to the S1 manual to see if the setup was the same. I noticed that the build of the steering rack in the R1 manual uses 2 x 2mm washers behind the ball studs for a total of 4mm. In the S1 manual there are no spacers.
I have an S1 and when I put an aluminum steering rack on I didn't know to put the 4mm of spacers. I would have buggered up the ackerman setting on the car.
Has anyone played with the setting on the R1? Should I be concerned about adding the spacers back in?
Old 12-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Tech Regular

So looking forward to building my S1 when it turns up. On another note Thanks Roger for the spares to fix my car and get it up and running for Sunday. I am hoping that these few changes and taking the wobble out of my left front suspension arm will get me faster again. Might even go with rubber tyres this weekend
Old 12-13-2013, 03:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lawton70
I was looking throught the R1 manual and comparing it to the S1 manual to see if the setup was the same. I noticed that the build of the steering rack in the R1 manual uses 2 x 2mm washers behind the ball studs for a total of 4mm. In the S1 manual there are no spacers.
I have an S1 and when I put an aluminum steering rack on I didn't know to put the 4mm of spacers. I would have buggered up the ackerman setting on the car.
Has anyone played with the setting on the R1? Should I be concerned about adding the spacers back in?
I would recommend to put them back in. I usually run 3 mm of spacers to have a bit more ackerman and makes the car easier to drive on carpet. i have not tried 0.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jorge T
I would recommend to put them back in. I usually run 3 mm of spacers to have a bit more ackerman and makes the car easier to drive on carpet. i have not tried 0.
Good to know, I have the rack coming in Monday!
Old 12-15-2013, 12:44 AM
Tech Regular

Had an unfortunate off track excursion that ended my day of racing today. Second heat I ran a little wide onto some loose gravel and skipped sideways off the track into a chain wire fence. This resulted in my left hand rear wheel being removed along with the shock and lower control arm. There was nothing broken, but with no spares to get the pin back in it was day over. 1 hour drive each way for about 10 minutes of racing.

Good thing that I have a new chassis on its way for Xmas. Old chassis is being relegated to spare parts.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

ouuuuch man. that really sucks. did you break a hingepin or the keeper? seems like these hingepins fail where the grubscrew catches it so maybe its worth investigating other options that dont have the machined bit that likely weakened the pin from the get go. if you tore a suspension mount id highly recommend replacing the mounts with aluminum ones from the R1 kit. you will need the rear one peice mount and a set of the seperate suspension mounts plust the plastic inserts.

really sucks your night ended so quickly but don't be too afraid to frankenstein other parts to fit. iv'e crossed a lot of different cars parts to keep my going on those kind of nights. its best if you can do the right and left side, but you would be surprised just how many touring cars parts are directly interchangable.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I also broke a rear hingepin yesterday. Wasn't even a big hit, just a small shunt. I looked at fitting an Xray one but the diameter of the pin is a bit too wide. Anyone know which other manufacturers pins would fit ?
Old 12-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

No I didn't break the hinge pin, or the carrier. Actually there was nothing really broken. Just lost the spacers from the hinge pin and the end caps that go inside the keepers. I ha no spares and no one else at the track had any either. RogerdaShrubber usually has some spares and has helped out in the past but he didn't run his this weekend. He only ran in the 1/12th class. But I will soon have a new S1 here for Xmas. And then I will have plenty of spares. I will look at replacing a few of the plastics with the R1 parts over the next year of racing, including the shocks.

This was one of the daytime meets and I made the choice to try out a set of rubber tyres. I had noticed that the traction was not up to scratch and was trying to take it a little easier just to get through the round and then swap back to foam for the rest of the meet. I had just said that to the guys standing next to me when 'thump'. I was only running rubber as the track we were on yesterday is very hard on foam. Probably needed softer rubber for grip or just harder foam.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It was a shame that I worked, I was planning on bringing my R1 out for it's debut meeting, think I've got the 'brown out' issue solved (the battery I got from Kerry may be suspect, but new battery fitted).

I'll be slow as I'm only running a 21.5T motor, looking at getting something a bit faster (13.5T), but may purchase another R1 so I can have one for the outdoors & a second set up for when the new carpet track gets finished & opened.

Going to keep painting the cars "kermit green" as my nitro running workmates call it, that will make 3 of us running SpecR at England Park next year.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:19 PM
Tech Regular

The way I have been running you will probably keep up with me even with the 21.5T.
I am hoping that if there are enough of us running SpecR at Brendale that we may be able to convince Jeff that he needs to stock parts for us.

Definitely get a second one for the carpet track. Depending on how the rules are set for indoors will dictate whether I set up another S1 or return the HPI Sprint 2 to service. It just might be competitive on carpet.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I have a Spec R R1 for sale.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

@ edhchoe-- I'm in Brisbane Australia, so by the time I paid for the shipping from you, it wouldn't work out much cheaper than buying the new R1 Pro, I know you're keen to sell but I have to look at 'bang for buck'.

@MJ-- I've got an order coming from TQ in the States, interesting to see how long it takes to arrive, the next order I make, I'll try direct from SpecR online shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.