Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1089Likes

Team Associated B6.1 & B6.1D thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-24-2020, 06:21 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated B6.1 & B6.1D thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kraig
Welcome to the B6.1 and B6.1D Wiki page.

Features:

Easy-access gear differential
Differential height adjustment with 0, 1, 2, and 3mm inserts included
New slipper assembly for better weight balance and shock clearance
3-gear Laydown Stealth(r) transmission for lower and forward CG
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite front shock tower with tower guard
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite rear tower, standard height
Heavy-duty V2 rear axle with 67mm bones
V2 springs for a more reactive and nimble feel
Innovative rear arm with molded inserts for ultra-fine lower shock mount adjustment
Molded spur gear guard to help protect body from damage
Front and rear anti-roll bars limit chassis roll for increased corner speed
Battery strap allows the use of optional turnbuckle-based braces
Machined pistons included for better fit and smoother operation
Aluminum rear clamping hex and front axle with laser etching
Rear hubs feature large bearings and the easy-insert system to adjust camber link position and rear axle height
One-piece shock bushing to make assembly easier
Aluminum C and D arm mounts included for large range of anti-squat and toe adjustment
Lightweight aluminum top shaft
Factory Team upgraded ball bearing kit included (now oiled instead of greased for less drag)
JConcepts(r) B6 clear body and wing included
Steel chassis weight
Shortened, 7075 aluminum chassis

Features:

Easy-access ball differential
Differential height adjustment with 0, 1, 2, and 3mm inserts included
New slipper assembly for better weight balance and shock clearance
3-gear Lay Back Stealth(r) transmission for lower and rearward CG
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite front shock tower with tower guard
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite rear tower, long
Heavy-duty V2 rear axle with 67mm bones
V2 springs for a more reactive and nimble feel
Innovative rear arm with molded inserts for ultra-fine lower shock mount adjustment
Molded spur gear guard to help protect body from damage
+1 steering block arms optimize feel on dirt tracks
Battery strap allows the use of optional turnbuckle-based braces
Machined pistons included for better fit and smoother operation
Aluminum rear clamping hex and front axle with laser etching
Rear hubs feature large bearings and the easy-insert system to adjust camber link position and rear axle height
One-piece shock bushing to make assembly easier
Aluminum C and D arm mounts included for large range of anti-squat and toe adjustment
Lightweight aluminum top shaft
Factory Team upgraded ball bearing kit included (now oiled instead of greased for less drag)
JConcepts(r) B6 clear body and wing included
Shortened, 7075 aluminum chassis

Setup Sheets and other documentation
Setup sheets for both cars:
Piston Drills:
Aftermarket Upgrades:

Parts List:

Reference Guides (courtesy of Ray Munday and Roger M.):

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 07:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just bought my b6.1d and I'm wondering about the rear shock positions...I see older versions of the B6 the rear shocks are mounted on the rear of the shock tower...can you mounted the rear shocks on the new B6.1D on the rear as well? More rear weight for low traction. Easier to work on the shocks too. Anyone do this yet?
Old 05-23-2018, 07:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Braxamus
Lets start a discussion on gearing and the newer generation of motors. I got into buggies this past winter with the club racer and was running the locked timing Reedy 17.5 and the 72/33 gears the motor never came close to getting hot. Got a new 6.1D and a new motor from Amain I believe it is their brand https://www.amainhobbies.com/ecopowe...p-8000/p360110 and the HW Xerun V3.1 stock spec ESC and started my gearing where I was on the club racer 72/33 one of the other guys there had his new 6.1D and was running a 69/29 I ran 2 heats with fist set and the 3rd heat and main with the 69/29 the smaller set seemed smoother to me but didn't have the snap and top end the larger set had. and the motor never got over 115 degrees. One day last week I seen a video on Jconcepts FB page with the guy from Shurr speed motors and HW talking how they were just at some race and how the guys were charging the batteries normally, motor timing around 45 and gearing with 72-75 spurs and I think if I remember correctly around say 25-26 pinions and getting the same speeds as the old gearing methods because of the newer motors are so much different than the older ones. I race in Ohio at The Ohio RC Factory in Jeffersonville, and EN hobbies in Columbus, both nice indoor med to high bite tracks, and I would guess both are a little larger than what I have seen on some of the indoor tracks from the west coast just guessing. What track sizes do some of you race on and what gearing is used?

I run at n.w. hobbies it's very high grip they just had the jconcepts carpet nats. Anyways I always use a 72 spur gear and then 27-32 pinion based on the size of the straight. I do agree the newer motors like to rev more I'm using a fantom v3 rpm motor.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:27 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Braxamus,

The newest generation of motors have a higher kv (rpm per volt), so gearing them down works out because you get better acceleration which is important for circuit racing.

Ultimately what gives you the best lap times is what you need to worry about. Don't worry about other people.

That motor you bought is really a step sideways from the locked timing Reedy you had. Yes it has adjustable timing, but if the Reedy is geared correctly it would be just as fast as that Ecopower motor. So use the Ecopower to learn how timing adjustments interact with gearing, but don't expect that ecopower motor to be magically way faster.

The motor is one area where you want to spend a little. A new generation base model motor will be way faster than that Ecopower or the Reedy. That said, if you can't run an entire race without crashing a faster motor will just mean your car is going a little bit faster as you crash.
Braxamus likes this.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yea I understand that motor is by far no top of the line speed demon, but at the time with getting the new 6.1D new ESC and servo that motor fit with what I had and it did get good reviews for what it is. I have only raced buggy a total of 7 times so far and being an older guy 50+ my reactions are not what they used to be, so a slower motor for now just kind of fits, and I am still learning all the gearing, motor timing and setup. Coming from racing dirt oval sprint cars and late models to off road racing SCT the buggy is just a different beast I am enjoying. I like to ask several questions and get different opinions and take from them what makes sense to me, because as we all know in this or any other form of racing there are a unlimited amount of opinions on how to peel an apple so to speak. I actually slowed the throttle down on my SCT and got faster because I wasn't wreaking as much, and the buggy is so nice to drive I am a little faster in it, so it is a learning process and if you don't ask questions and have people willing to give straight answers it's a long process. (Not saying you wasn't giving a straight answer because what you said makes plenty of sense)
Old 05-23-2018, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Braxamus;15233216.... being an older guy 50+ my reactions are not what they used to be, so a slower motor for now just kind of fits, and I am still learning all the gearing, motor timing and setup.[/QUOTE]

Same generation here..... if you are not fast, work on your consistency. No crashing for 5 minutes and consistent times..... when you get consistent lap times...try to start pushing yourself and the car. It works for me.

I would qualify last in the main and end up mid pack or sometimes in the podium because some of the fast guys crash and are not consistent.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Braxamus
Lets start a discussion on gearing and the newer generation of motors. I got into buggies this past winter with the club racer and was running the locked timing Reedy 17.5 and the 72/33 gears the motor never came close to getting hot. Got a new 6.1D and a new motor from Amain I believe it is their brand https://www.amainhobbies.com/ecopowe...p-8000/p360110 and the HW Xerun V3.1 stock spec ESC and started my gearing where I was on the club racer 72/33 one of the other guys there had his new 6.1D and was running a 69/29 I ran 2 heats with first set and the 3rd heat and main with the 69/29 the smaller set seemed smoother to me but didn't have the snap and top end the larger set had. and the motor never got over 115 degrees. One day last week I seen a video on Jconcepts FB page with the guy from Shurr speed motors and HW talking how they were just at some race and how the guys were charging the batteries normally, motor timing around 45 and gearing with 72-75 spurs and I think if I remember correctly around say 25-26 pinions and getting the same speeds as the old gearing methods because of the newer motors are so much different than the older ones. I race in Ohio at The Ohio RC Factory in Jeffersonville, and EN hobbies in Columbus, both nice indoor med to high bite tracks, and I would guess both are a little larger than what I have seen on some of the indoor tracks from the west coast just guessing. What track sizes do some of you race on and what gearing is used? And so far I really like this motor.
I race at the factory also. I'm running 29/69 with a Fantom 17.5 v3r fr1 team works plus and its a pretty fast. I had a hobbywing g2 17.5 and had it geared at 33/69 and it was not as quick or as fast on top end. Just some data for you.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a Reedy S-Plus 17.5T in my B6.1d geared to 27/72 with 24deg timing. Thing is running cool that way on indoor clay and is pretty damn fast. I don't know where it compares to the Fantom V3r but it was in the SDRC hobby shop and seemed popular. Faster than I needed. Went from a HW Justock g2 17.5T and it is a different world and weighs like 30g less.

It is not helping me right now though.. I drove like balls at our club race last night.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by socalcloin
I have a Reedy S-Plus 17.5T in my B6.1d geared to 27/72 with 24deg timing. Thing is running cool that way on indoor clay and is pretty damn fast. I don't know where it compares to the Fantom V3r but it was in the SDRC hobby shop and seemed popular. Faster than I needed. Went from a HW Justock g2 17.5T and it is a different world and weighs like 30g less.

It is not helping me right now though.. I drove like balls at our club race last night.
try 27/75 38' timing
Old 05-24-2018, 04:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phat-Boy
try 27/75 38' timing
Thank you and that is what I was told for our track for the s-plus, but I don't need anymore speed right now. The torque is good, but if I go any faster.. that is just faster into the pipe. I got a bit confident on the last layout at SDRC but this new one is taking me a bit longer to get consistent on. I even nailed pauly the pole with my 22T last night.. though I wasn't the only one a few others hit it too in different classes. I saw many broken cars at JBRL/SDRC on saturday, the thing is evil if you hit it. I have managed to keep my B6.1d away from it.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Vujkovicv
chassis brace in the back of the car. It connects the gearbox and chassis
Ah i see
Thank you
Ebi likes this.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by lbckevin
Here is the waterfall.

Thanks Ibckevin
Old 05-25-2018, 10:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

I am ready to build my B6.1D kit and i am going to run strictly on these type of tracks
1. Outdoor, medium size, loose, low grip, dry, dusty and bumpy
2. Outdoor, small size, big jumps, hardpack, dry/damp, medium grip, dusty, bumpy
No indoor high bite clay, no carpet or turf

I need suggestions on what options are a MUST in terms of performance and or handling wise?
Any suggestions given are greatly appreciated
Old 05-25-2018, 10:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by donnie_p
I am ready to build my B6.1D kit and i am going to run strictly on these type of tracks
2. Outdoor, small size, big jumps, hardpack, dry/damp, medium grip, dusty, bumpy

I need suggestions on what options are a MUST in terms of performance and or handling wise?
Mod or stock class?

You'll probably need to get more weight over the rear axle, but how you do that is up to you. The standup transmission would work well, but so would the C and D blocks in brass.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by donnie_p

Stand up gearbox, and brass c and d mount for tuning options
Old 05-25-2018, 10:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

To donnie_p's question, is the 4-gear standup an option any longer on the 6.1? It was on the 6, but that ship may have sailed.

I will disagree with adding weight in the rear. I think that has always been more about ft/rr balance than adding grip (we've argued that point, too..) and in this case, it's just as likely to create a pendulum effect on the loose surface. Guys are running full laydown successfully on decidedly medium grip these days, after all.

I would also steer clear of efforts to lighten the drive-line. A little flywheel effect is probably not a bad thing, and also counteracts the questionable need for adding weight in the back.

Finally, I'd explore softer suspension to slow down the car's reactions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.