Search
Like Tree832Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 06:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B3x
I had to buy another kit just to get the bumper...
That is just plain wrong.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Remember - Toy car, Toy track, Bowling Trophy !!!!!!
Not offended at all. Just thought it was time to vent a little positive spin on all of this.

I have no idea what might or might not be going at TA; but I do know those guys when green lit, will stop at nothing to make sure things get done. They prove it year around including TCS, Reedy and KO and other events. RC is about the people we meet and race with. The "people" at Tamiya are top notch - give it another couple weeks.

Ranting is good. It is part of the community but at some point it sounds like a bad record. We all use CDs, press SKIP

Happy Holidays to TCS Community. Will miss running next year but hope to see others chase experience and title.

Now Fred, stop messing with your multicultural holiday and get these guys what they are asking for!
Old 12-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

GROUP HUG!

Old 12-29-2006, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A lot of people doing last minute shopping was watching and again when asked about racing the mini we said it that every once in a while we try to get a mini cooper race going but not every week.

--So you are not helping promote a class that brings income to your track and neither is the track?

I know of 3 parents that were ready to buy a mini cooper kit and they decidied and bought a different TC car kit. They wanted their kids to be able to race every week and not worry about showing up and not have enough minis to run. It's too bad cause the mini is a great car to start in RC.

--Again here is the shortsight, if you and 2 others brought your car the 1 noob let alone 3 would be racing also. You could also mentor these kids when they get to running and give them someone to look up to. Instead they buy a Sedan and run Stock or maybe if they are lucky a Silvercan class?

I think Tamiya has made a bad marketing choice/decision in the TCS series. They should be adding more TCS races because thats what brings in new people to this hobby. ROAR, the Birds, Cleveland, Vegas, are where the big time racers go, TCS is where you start.

--So let me get this right it is Tamiya's job to get people into the RC market for them to race at others events?

Regardless if you have a TCS event I would think that getting people into the track, mentoring them and getting them racing is the most important event.

Selling your cars because there is no TCS event sounds petty. Along those lines of thinking then you can only have fun if there is one race day out of your whole year that is free and brings no race fees to the track owner?
Old 12-29-2006, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

From a guy who has been Racing Tamiya cars since it's inception in 1992 or 1993, I was at the opening ceremony @ Tamiya when Corporate Guys from Phillp Morris i.e. The Mission Viejo Co. drank the Champagne and cut the tape to open the track. Yes this is big business Companies have business decisions to make and in a changing economy that we are now all going thru Corporations have to be flexible with there business commitments and decisions. I am sure the powers at Tamiya are monitoring this and are trying to do at the best of there ability to keep the TCS prosperous and a good business decision. I think we all need to reflect on the dedication and commitment that Tamiya has lived up to all these years it is not easy to keep everybody happy and they have to answer to the parent COMPANY across the "POND" and that can be very challenging at times for sure. I know the rules will be out soon, I just got back from CA yesterday and they are finalizing the Rules. I really do not think the Rules will change from the present format except F103GT will replace F201 and may be Lipo's will be OK for certain classes with of course "a weight penalty" It's too bad about Frederick and Cinci I think all the "Stars did not line up for those races"

But I think we should all be thankful that a Company like Tamiya has had the vision to build a Track and a long standing series that to me has been a lot of fun!!! and I hope will be continuing in the future.
Because things can change very quickly in todays business world and for us this is a "HOBBY" but for them this is what put's the "Bread on the Table" and I think we all need to take a deep breath and be thankful for what we have.

Amen.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Difuser
A lot of people doing last minute shopping was watching and again when asked about racing the mini we said it that every once in a while we try to get a mini cooper race going but not every week.

--So you are not helping promote a class that brings income to your track and neither is the track?

The hobby shop at the track is there to make money, the Tamiya mini class
was not running every week so it made sense to purchase a kit that is run every week.

I know of 3 parents that were ready to buy a mini cooper kit and they decidied and bought a different TC car kit. They wanted their kids to be able to race every week and not worry about showing up and not have enough minis to run. It's too bad cause the mini is a great car to start in RC.

--Again here is the shortsight, if you and 2 others brought your car the 1 noob let alone 3 would be racing also. You could also mentor these kids when they get to running and give them someone to look up to. Instead they buy a Sedan and run Stock or maybe if they are lucky a Silvercan class?

Again, there is no way of knowing if these 3 were going to show up every week. You might want to lok the the C thread and see what we have done to get kids introduced and running at the C.

I think Tamiya has made a bad marketing choice/decision in the TCS series. They should be adding more TCS races because thats what brings in new people to this hobby. ROAR, the Birds, Cleveland, Vegas, are where the big time racers go, TCS is where you start.

--So let me get this right it is Tamiya's job to get people into the RC market for them to race at others events?

No, most of Tamiya cars are targeted at the beginners, the TCS seriers was/is a great way of doing it.

Regardless if you have a TCS event I would think that getting people into the track, mentoring them and getting them racing is the most important event.

Selling your cars because there is no TCS event sounds petty. Along those lines of thinking then you can only have fun if there is one race day out of your whole year that is free and brings no race fees to the track owner?
Once a year? And if it rains then no race? I'll pass thank you....
Old 12-29-2006, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Remember - Toy car, Toy track, Bowling Trophy !!!!!!
I wonder how many pins my TA05 can knock down. . .
Old 12-29-2006, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hickmeister
From a guy who has been Racing Tamiya cars since it's inception in 1992 or 1993, I was at the opening ceremony @ Tamiya when Corporate Guys from Phillp Morris i.e. The Mission Viejo Co. drank the Champagne and cut the tape to open the track. Yes this is big business Companies have business decisions to make and in a changing economy that we are now all going thru Corporations have to be flexible with there business commitments and decisions. I am sure the powers at Tamiya are monitoring this and are trying to do at the best of there ability to keep the TCS prosperous and a good business decision. I think we all need to reflect on the dedication and commitment that Tamiya has lived up to all these years it is not easy to keep everybody happy and they have to answer to the parent COMPANY across the "POND" and that can be very challenging at times for sure. I know the rules will be out soon, I just got back from CA yesterday and they are finalizing the Rules. I really do not think the Rules will change from the present format except F103GT will replace F201 and may be Lipo's will be OK for certain classes with of course "a weight penalty" It's too bad about Frederick and Cinci I think all the "Stars did not line up for those races"

But I think we should all be thankful that a Company like Tamiya has had the vision to build a Track and a long standing series that to me has been a lot of fun!!! and I hope will be continuing in the future.
Because things can change very quickly in todays business world and for us this is a "HOBBY" but for them this is what put's the "Bread on the Table" and I think we all need to take a deep breath and be thankful for what we have.

Amen.
Mr. Hickman, you know me quite well and the TCS was something I looked forwarded to each year. I have tried on many occasions to get a F1 class running in the DC area... Old Town hobby, The Track, and the C, I was able to get them started but not enough people wanted to race F1. The only regret I have was not running at the Tamiya track at least once.
I've almost pulled the trigger on the F103GT but just can't do it...
Old 12-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

1st Annual Official Un-Official Tamiya TCS Rules Contest.

Guess the date the rules will get posted?

Rules:
1 person per date.
If your date gets passed by try again.
The winner will get a can of pop from me if our paths cross at Trackside, Memphis or another TCS race.
Maybe everyone who plays could give the winner a can of pop if their paths cross TCS racing.

So basically post early, to post often.

My pick: January 8th, 2007
Old 12-29-2006, 09:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Mr. Dick,
What class Do you race on a weekly basis? When it comes to Touring cars I have run nothing but Tamiya since the late 90's. I had run HPI, Losi and Yokamo before hand. Where I race TC is extremely competitive. I manage to win a few with my Tamiya TC against the best chassis's out there and against some very accomplished racers. Simple point I am trying to get accross is TAMIYA cars are competitive, period. I can't understand why so many folks keep them hidden away until the TCS is in town.

It is the guys that only race Tamiya cars when the series comes to town that show little or no support and bitch the loudest when their free race is taken away.

If you wish to throw a hissy fit because Tamiya is not able to staff or schedule a race in your back-yard, go ahead, sell your stuff! It is your stuff! Show your true colors. Do you think Tamiya wants to cut races? Do you think Tamiya is cutting your race to spite you?

If you truely were the die-hard MINI guy you say, you alone would move mountains and keep your passion alive by promoting the class you love. Mini is alive and well at Trackside and most area tracks because Tamiya got the ball rolling. But I got some news for you. It is the racers that keep that ball rolling and it is gaining speed.

That's all I got to say bout that,

MPH
Old 12-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

If you truely were the die-hard MINI guy you say, you alone would move mountains and keep your passion alive by promoting the class you love. Mini is alive and well at Trackside and most area tracks because Tamiya got the ball rolling. But I got some news for you. It is the racers that keep that ball rolling and it is gaining speed.
Somebody got it......
Old 12-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

oops DDouble post
Old 12-29-2006, 10:47 AM
B3x
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
That is just plain wrong.
It is OK, I did it because I could not wait to use the Advan body with the F103GT I use pretty much every week. I kept the second kit for spare.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Difuser
Somebody got it......
Not really, it comes a point in time when $$$ and desire meet and a decision has to be made.
Answers: I race 2 classes:
12 scale ( BMI chassis ) and 10 scale stock ( X-ray T2 )
TCS race: Tamiya made a choice and so have I. Sorry if you feel that that buying a plane ticket, hotel, etc for 2 qualifiers and 1 main is nothing but to my family and me it's a bit much. Do I want to give up weekly racing for just a couple of TCS that could get rained out???

Hissy fit? hardly, and this will be my last post on this.

Tamiya has to do what it thinks is best for Tamiya and I have to do what I think is best for me. I am disappointed that Tamiya led/implied that the C would be holding a TCS race this year after stepping up and rescuing the RCO Hanover TCS race last year after they closed shop.
Best of luck and I hope the TCS series does not go the way like the F201 did....
Old 12-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Mr. Dawson, great words of sanity on what has turned into an insane ranting thread.

The Tamiya USA staff does a great job to take care of the racers. Everyone is so worried about "the rules for 2007". Gee, what changed from 2005 - 2006 ? How about the rules for Nationals only. The F103GT class will probably be added to replace F201. There is also talk about lipo's in some classes. Considering what Fred did for this years Nationals to "even out the playing field", spec motor, spec batteries, minimum weight, I don't think anyone has to worry that Fred will not be sure he creates an even playing field if TCS U.S. allows lipo's. Also, there are probably valid reasons some tracks were dropped. That is between Tamiya and the track owners. However, if it is due to what the track has done or not done, do you really think they are going to tell you that ? It's much easier to point the finger at Tamiya.

As for F201, I ran the class at TCS races in '05. Unfortunately, when Japan pulled the plug in the class, and it no longer became a class to go to Japan for, the class died. Nobody was told they could not race the class. It was the racers lack of interest that killed it becuase they could not win a trip to Japan anymore with that class.

There is a difference between "discussion" and constant ranting and trashing. Leave the ranting and trashing to the NBA where it belongs.

As for the F103GT, I have a regular kit and the Courage kit. I built the regular kit and ran a sedan body. You CAN mount a Courage body on the regular F103GT bumper mount, you just have to add two new holes to the front of the Courage body. That was already done by someone practicing at Tamiya so we know it works. I choose to steal the bumper out of my Courage kit becaus I know the Courage "B" tree will eventually come out and I will get one to make the Courage a complete kit again.

I love TCS, and have raced Tamiya's exclusively from the mid '80's when I dabbled for a couple of years taking a break from 1:1 scale to the last three years since I joined the community again. If TCS went away tomorrow, I would still race my TA05's and 415's, and try to get enought F103GT guys to make a class. To me, having a series that the manufacture of the cars I race put up the money, time and effort is a bonus. I remember just 2-3 years ago that if you ran a Tamiya at your local track, you were the red-headed step child. Not so true anymore, at least where I race.

Last edited by Kevin CBR; 12-29-2006 at 05:38 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.