Like Tree653Likes

Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:41 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TracySlatten
Here is a concept dwg of the stand, as has been suggested. I have put a typical heavy duty framing under the deck surface.

Some thoughts in no patricular order,
6x6 and 6x10 posts and beams are very heavy duty and solid, however smaller material may be used for some of the components to save cost by a little.

Entering and exiting to the sides east/west is shorter than north/south.
From Jeff's design I would move the front stair to the back and mirror them in an East/West fashion. The scoring booth would have less obstruction to the track from the window.

With the structure height and size, piers may not be an option. We need to determine this detail.

I have abbreviated the dwg for simplicity in certain parts...

This size of project may require a "pro" framer to assure sqaureness. Someone who frame decks or houses for a living. Not saying it is above of the skills of the club, but I would consider it for the deck frame part. 2-3 days of time for this..

I drew the deck 8" wide so we weren't just cutting a bunch of 8' material down to 6'. Most of the boards will be 8' minimum so lets use the footage.

Todd, folks, anything glaring I need to change, sing out. I'm sure there will be changes...
Tracy good work...Tracy I can help you on the Drafting or blue print dwg .

Last edited by OVA; 06-11-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I like all the standa and all the layout ideas. I know not much help. Lol. My question tho is this stand going to be for both tracks?
Old 06-10-2012, 10:13 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Thanks for the work on the visual, Tracy.

One, with the stairs off the side, are you imagining that we on/off by walking on the drain basin gravel? Kody had stairs off the back of his, which puts us on/off in the grass behind the drain basin. I favor that scenario.

Two, you show four feet to the deck. On this part of the spec I'm sure the city will have some input. But, what do you think of 5', or even 6' to the deck? I know that's tall, but we are on the down side of the site, looking up. I'd guess there's at least 4' of fall between the top of the track and the drivers stand footing. Maybe more. Do you think we can nudge it up a little higher?

If you can show me those two things, I will get it to the city ASAP for feedback.
Question to you todd
once the Off road project done ,where is the On Road track will be located?
Old 06-10-2012, 10:15 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by tutankhamen
I like all the standa and all the layout ideas. I know not much help. Lol. My question tho is this stand going to be for both tracks?
1+ you beat me to it....lol
Old 06-11-2012, 02:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OVA
1+ you beat me to it....lol
I was under the impression it was. Hence another reason why it is over drain so its right in middle. If so offset the exit/entrance so they are part of the length. With the offset opposite sides for each. So the entrance/exit would be reversed for onroad.

In other words looking at the front the stairway is in front of the main unit. Infact part of the main unit. Not a stairway that has to have additional supports and makes the footprint looking at the front of the stand even greater.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No, the onroad track has been located away from the offroad track. After spending a lot more time on the site, assessing the grade and prevailing wind, it was decided to rotate the onroad track 90 deg. and move it over against the streetbed on the other side of the site. I think it is the best long-term solution, even if it presents some additional expense for another drivers stand.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:30 AM
Tech Adept

Todd,

You are looking at the post length. With the beams, joist, deck material, and pier hieght, the deck surface is 6' from grade. Look at the dwg again...6' on the left side. The post length is 4' (cutting a 8' 6x6 in half works nicely.)

As for the drain basin, are you leaving it as round rock exposed?...I would plant the posts north of the basin in or on dirt/3/8 crush footings. For the area that would be necessary to walk on...smaller pebble rock for a path.
People are going to be walking all over that stuff anyway, regardless of where the foot of the stair is. Once I get to the bottom of the stair, I am walking to the north across the gravel to get back to that track. IMHO
I would go to the side if at all possible, and stay off the basin with footings too.

The issue that is most pressing is where the foundations for the footings are going. It would be hard if not impossible to dig into the basin for a solid footing.

Are we so set on being halfway across the basin? for an extra 5-8 ft. There is plenty of room to the north...but I will draw as you wish.

Tracy

Last edited by TracySlatten; 06-11-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: correction
Old 06-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by OVA
Tracy good work...Tracy I can help you on the Drafting or blue print dwg .
Yes, feel free to draw as you please, I am using a simple software CAD Standard. Anyone, can build off my dwg so far, I will send you the file. If we go to autodesk CAD for a final dwg, then we will redraw. Anyone else that has experinance with it can jump in.

Most Muni's will be taking plotted drawing sheets, not drawing files. If a drafter was to get his hands on this, he would redraw in his app anyway.

So, until we get to a point where my app won't do, I am drawing in this format. If someone draws in something else, have at it. It would be great, Franko.

Tracy
Old 06-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Tech Champion

Tracy, Is your drawing only showing the storage/race director area as covered? Couldn't we extend the coverage over the stand all the way across? or am I misunderstanding the diagram?

Also with putting the beams into the basin.. Why not just offset the beams like so in sketch. (The wood Bridge per so not walk on basin).

Shit drawing with I think a broken tablet... (the sudden black lines).

Also could you send me the track top down in a autocad format of some sorts? Much easier to import into max. You can zip it and attach to reply here.

The weather forecast doesn't look good this week. Of course, it said rain for today and its sunny out. Do we want to tempt the gods with trying something for Thursday? Since at least it shows being only cloudy. Of course if it rained hard the day before, site will be unworkable sinking mud.
Attached Thumbnails Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center-idea.jpg  
Old 06-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Tech Adept

one more week of torture and im free to help finally
Old 06-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Plans are looking great guys. Really nice to see the drawings getting formalized. At this point, assuming the ground drains out and becomes workable, we should get the piles of dirt spread around, plan a work party to get the track footprint set down and course laid out. I can spend a few hours Friday and have Monday available too. I can provide a few extra shovels and rakes along with wheel barrow. The key is the weather cooperating and letting the darn ground dry out a bit. If that can happen I think we could be back in business. What do you think?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by oXYnary
Tracy, Is your drawing only showing the storage/race director area as covered?

Also with putting the beams into the basin.. Why not just offset the beams like so in sketch. Also could you send me the track top down in a autocad format of some sorts?
Drew,

As I know, it is a four sided hut\shed at the west end, 8x8. Not like the continuous roof as you have suggested. I like the simple roof across...

I like the rough drawing, I could not do it to save my life, paper or a tablet.

I (someone) have to start the drawing in autodesk stuff or the like to give you a real dwg/dxf/common transferable file type. Which I have not done to this point. crazy huh? Give me a little time.

T
Old 06-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TracySlatten
Drew,

As I know, it is a four sided hut\shed at the west end, 8x8. Not like the continuous roof as you have suggested. I like the simple roof across...

I like the rough drawing, I could not do it to save my life, paper or a tablet.

I (someone) have to start the drawing in autodesk stuff or the like to give you a real dwg/dxf/common transferable file type. Which I have not done to this point. crazy huh? Give me a little time.

T
Cadstd shows export to dxf with the free version your using.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

Drew,

Sweet, I had not seen the export...I will send it over tonight. Franko, I can send the dxf to you as well.

Here is a revised drawing, a little cleaned up, with a stair off the back to the South.

T
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SEATAC DRIVER 1-2.pdf (108.9 KB, 126 views)
Old 06-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Not sure if there is room in the budget for a cover running the entire length of the drivers stand but personally I would like to see that. We have our share of drizzle and showery weather. A cover would make racing a little more bearable on those days. In my travels today I came across this cover for a baseball dugout. Made of corrugated aluminum and seemed stout and fairly simple to install.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.